Page 72: of Maritime Reporter Magazine (May 1992)
Crowley marks 100 years of marine operations. The company's RoRo/containership MV SEA FOX, on the South American run.
Boats & Barges
Washburn & Doughty Delivers
Captain Henry Lee
Crowley Maritime Celebrates 100 Years Of Service
A highly diversified maritime ser- vice company and owner of one of the world's largest privately-owned tug and barge fleets, Oakland, Cal- ifornia-based Crowley Maritime
Corporation is commemorating its centennial in 1992.
Crowley Maritime began opera- tions in 1892 when 17-year-old
Thomas Crowley bought an 18-foot
Whitehall rowboat for $80 and went into business serving the needs of ships in San Francisco Bay.
Shortly thereafter, he expanded his business with a pair of motor launches, and soon bought his first tugboat. In 1918, he became part- owner and manager of the
Shipowners & Merchants Tugboat
Company whose distinctive red smokestacks still exist today on over 400 Crowley vessels throughout the world and as the centerpiece of the
Expanding its tug and towing activities, Crowley entered the coastwise-barge bulk-petroleum transport sector in 1947.
Begun in the 1950s, the compa- ny's Alaskan tug and barge operations mushroomed with the discovery of Alaska's north slope.
Soon a thriving oil drilling service joined its oil transportation opera- tion.
Crowley shifted some of the ves- sels that had been earmarked for
Alaska to the Caribbean, and in 1974, the development of Trailer
Marine Transport made Crowley a major presence in the Caribbean trade.
The acquisition of Delta Steam- ship Lines in 1982 expanded the scope of the company's operations in
South America. Crowley sold Delta in 1984 to U.S. Lines, but soon
The passenger/auto ferry Captain Henry Lee. returned to the subcontinent with a service to Columbia and additional
Central American services. After
U.S. Lines' bankruptcy in 1987, the company became a major player in the South American trade. Today, the South and Central American operations constitute roughly a third of Crowley's operating revenues.
Crowley Maritime Corporation itself was incorporated on January 1, 1973 as an amalgam of the firms owned by Tom Crowley prior to his death in 1970, and which were then managed and owned in part by his son, Thomas Bannon Crowley. Tho- mas B. Crowley still serves as chairman and chief executive officer of the company founded by his fa- ther in 1892. Over the past hundred years, Crowley and its predecessor companies have had only these two men at their helm.
After 98 years in San Francisco, in 1990 the corporation moved its headquarter across the bay to Oak- land, California. The Crowley organization has offices and agents at over 100 major ports and cities around the world.
The many different Crowley com- panies form along two distinct business lines. As such, the compa- ny plans to restructure its organization to better reflect the services it provides. Effective on or about July 1,1992, all Crowley com- panies offering liner cargo and related services will become part of
Crowley American Transport, Inc.
All other diversified marine contract and related services will become part of Crowley Marine Services, Inc.
Crowley Maritime Corporation will become a holding company, main- taining full ownership of these two new companies.
Washburn & Doughty Associates,
Inc. recently delivered the passen- ger/auto ferry Captain Henry Lee to
Maine State Ferry Service.
The vessel was designed by
Rodney E. Lay Associates of Jack- sonville, Fla., and partially funded by a grant from the Federal Transit
Administration and State of Maine bonds. The Captain Henry Lee will join Maine State Ferry Service pro- viding year round service on the
Bass Harbor-Swan's Island French- boro Route. The vessel is the first state ferry to be built at a Maine shipyard in over 30 years.
The vessel is 130 feet long, with a beam of 36 feet and a draft of 10 feet.
Power is provided by a CAT 3408 driving Twin Disc 516 (3-1/2:1) re- duction gear which turns a Rice four-blade propeller. The design speed for the 325-grt vessel is 12 knots. The vessel has a capacity to carry 9,000 gallons of fuel oil, 500 gallons of fresh water, 250 passen- gers and 17 vehicles. There are also three Detroit Diesel 30-kw genera- tors, two auxiliary and one emergency standby. Shafting is pro- vided by Rose's Machine, with 4-1/ 2-inch tail shafts, and Aquamet 18, 3-1/2-inch line shafts and SKF hy- draulic couplings. Steering is provided by Tenfjord. Electronics are provided by Chase Leavitt.
For further information detailing the services and facilities of Wash- burn & Doughty,
Circle 52 on Reader Service Card
CAPTAIN HENRY LEE
Main Engine CAT 3408
Reduction Gear Twin Disc
Generators Detroit Diesel
Adams Boat Co.
Delivers Fishing Vessel
To King Fisheries
Adams Boat Co., Inc. of Madison,
Ind., recently delivered a 42-foot all- aluminum commercial fishing ves- sel to King Fisheries of Curtice, Ohio.
The vessel will be used on Lake Erie for trap netting.
The vessel, Marlena, has a beam of 14 feet 10 inches, a 3-foot draft, carries 600 gallons of fuel, 100 gal- lons of hydraulic oil and 100 gallons of water. The hull and cabin were sandblasted and will remain unpainted above the water line.
The vessel is powered by a Volvo diesel TAMD71A rated at 358 hp at 2,500 rpm. The engine drives a four- blade propeller through a 2:1 twin disc 507A gear. A speed of 25.5 knots was reported with 500 gallons of fuel and four passengers aboard during sea trials.
The Marlena is equipped with
Hynautic steering, Kobelt controls and a Fernstrum gridcooler, all con- tained in two control stations.
For further information about the services of Adams Boat Co.,
Circle 8 on Reader Service Card 64 Maritime Reporter/Engineering Ne i/vs