Sayville Ferry Service Adds New Vessel To Fleet

Sayville Ferry Service Inc. recently announced the addition of the Fire Island Clipper to its fleet.

The Clipper (shown above), built by Robert E. Derecktor at Mamaroneck, N.Y., was placed into service on the company's Sayville, N.Y., to Fire Island run immediately upon delivery.

Designed by John K. Roper Associates, Inc. of Hancock, N.H., the Clipper is particularly well-suited to her environment. She is powered by three Detroit Diesel 12V71 naturally aspirated engines and will carry up to 344 passengers at speeds in excess of 20 mph in less than 4 feet of water. To do this, she has an efficient aluminum hull structure designed to take full advantage of the bottom effect.

Performance predictions, based on model tests conducted by Daniel Savitsky and Pierre De Saix at Stevens Institute of Technology, have been fully confirmed in operation.

Owner Ken Stein, president of Sayville Ferry Service, reports that the Clipper has met or exceeded all of his expectations in service on Great South Bay, and predicts that craft of this type will be used extensively in the passenger service industry.

Maritime Reporter Magazine, page 18,  Feb 15, 1980 Ohio

Read Sayville Ferry Service Adds New Vessel To Fleet in Pdf, Flash or Html5 edition of February 15, 1980 Maritime Reporter

Other stories from February 15, 1980 issue

Content

Maritime Reporter

First published in 1881 Maritime Reporter is the world's largest audited circulation publication serving the global maritime industry.