Twin City Shipyard Lays Keel For Gulf Coast Trailing Dredge
Keel-laying ceremonies were held recently at Twin City Shipyard in St. Paul, Minn., for the 3,850-cubic-foot, suction hopper dredge Ouachita being constructed for Gulf Coast Trailing Company of New Orleans. The 300-foot vessel will incorporate many state-ofthe- art features unique for U.S.
dredges, such as her propulsion and pump drive systems. The two main diesel engines will drive controllable- pitch propellers off their aft ends and a dredge pump and jet pump off the front of each engine through split gearboxes.
The deckhouse will be located forward for crew comfort and is designed to accommodate a crew of 26 in single and double staterooms.
Designed by Twin City, the dredge is scheduled for completion in the fourth quarter of 1985.
Twin City Shipyard has become one of the leading U.S. yards for dredge design and construction, along with its variety of split hopper dump dredges and aluminum dredge tenders.
Gulf Coast Trailing is a joint venture between T.L. James, Inc.
of Ruston, La.; Dredging International N.V. of Belgium; and HAM B.V. of the Netherlands.
Other stories from September 15, 1984 issue
- Symon Appointed New Director Of Tankers At Stolt-Nielsen page: 5
- SOFEC Awarded NavSea Contract For Offshore Mooring Terminal page: 5
- Sperry Gets $62.8-Million Navy Contract For Frigate Combat Systems Work page: 6
- New HEET Fuel Additive Saves Time And Money By Preventive Maintenance page: 6
- Two Key Appointments Announced By Halifax Industries page: 7
- S.S. United States To Auction Contents Prior To Total Renovation page: 8
- Imi-Tech Offers Catalog Of Insulating Products For Marine Applications page: 8
- Manson Construction Builds Pacific Northwest's Heftiest Floating Crane page: 12
- NKK To Build Floating Offshore Production Unit For Norwegian Consortium page: 14
- Van Houten To Head New Parsons Brickershoff Marine Facilities Unit page: 14
- USP&I Home Office To New York Area— Other Changes Announced page: 15
- American Marine Gets $390,000 Contract For Two Cutterhead Dredges page: 15
- MARINE SALVAGE page: 16
- General Dynamics Quincy Yard Will Build Four Containerships For USL At Cost of $341 Million page: 18
- Scripps Institution Acquires Another Research Vessel page: 18
- RDI's Satcom I Communications System Approved By INMARSAT page: 18
- Tenn-Tom Waterway Project Nearing Early Completion page: 20
- BP And Harland And Wolff Forming Joint Venture For $145-Million SWOPS Project page: 21
- Naval Ship Maintenance & Modernization/Affordability page: 22
- The "Ultimate" Compact SSB page: 23
- IBM Appoints Marine Management Systems As Authorized Dealer page: 25
- Twin City Shipyard Lays Keel For Gulf Coast Trailing Dredge page: 26
- Pearlson Begins Construction Of World's Largest Ship Transfer System page: 26
- Screw Compressors Improve Air Conditioning Reliability page: 27
- NASSCO Receives Exxon Contract For Two Alaska-Class Tankers page: 28
- Tacoma Boat Division Gets $210,000 Contract To Build Propeller Hub Assembly page: 28
- AMMCO Licensed To Market O&K Dredging Bucket And Cutting Wheels page: 32
- Westinghouse Electric Awarded $2-Million Navy Contract For Frigate Study page: 32
- John Cave Appointed Vice President For Boland & Cornelius page: 33
- Norwegian Caribbean Acquires Royal Viking Line For $240 Million page: 33
- Marinette Marine Corporation Gets $24~Million Navy Contract To Build Six Yard Patrol Craft page: 34
- New Drydock At Halifax Shipyard Operating At Close To Capacity page: 34
- Penn Ship Awarded Navy Contract For Overhaul And Maintenance Of Frigate page: 35
- John Deere Developing Family Of Rotary Engines page: 35
- Specialized Support Vessel 'Anfitrite' Acquired By O.D.S. Italia S.P.A. page: 36
- Moss Point Awarded $3.6-Million To Build 15 Barges For U.S. Navy page: 36
- CORE Canadian Offshore Resources Exposition page: 38
- $79-Million Coast Guard Contract Awarded to Bollinger Shipyard page: 46
- New Busiship™ System Brochure Available From Nav-Com page: 46
- Independent Tests Show Drew Ameroid's Amergize® Cuts Fuel Consumption page: 47
- Third USN Rescue/Salvage Ship Launched At Peterson Builders page: 54