New Products From Furuno: Advanced FAP-50 Autopilot, And Weatherfax xWith A Twist'
Two new products recently introduced by Furuno include the advanced FAP-50 microprocessor-controlled autopilot, and the awardwinning FAX-208A weatherfax "with a twist." Furuno's FAP-50 microprocessorcontrolled autopilot provides extremely accurate steering in all weather conditions for various vessel types, from yachts to commercial fishing boats. It provides fully automatic route following when interfaced with loran C; extremely complex trawl or search patterns can be automatically carried out while the operator is occupied with other duties; it saves considerable amounts of time and fuel.
The FAP-50 system comes with fluxgate heading sensor, processor unit, rudder feedback unit, hydraulic pump set, and an attractive splashproof control unit that can be installed almost anywhere with the standard bracket, or flush mounted directly in a console.
It interfaces directly with Furuno loran C and video plotters, or any device supporting NMEA 0180 data format. Up to two heading signals are operator selectable from gyrocompass, magnetic compass or fluxgate sensor and both audible and visual alarms are provided to alert arrival at destination or waypoint.
All system inputs are made via sealed touchpads; the large LCD presentation shows data both intuitively in graphic form and by alphanumeric digital readouts. Course is selected with the familiar and easy to understand rotary knob. On installation, system performance features are set for the individual vessel- handling characteristics; the parameters set and mode selected are displayed across the bottom of the LCD screen. A second full function control station and up to two remote control units may also be fitted.
The FAP-50 operates from a universal 10-42 VDC power supply, or 110/220 VAC with optional rectifier unit.
Furuno's award-winning FAX- 208A is one of the most advanced weatherfax receivers ever put on the market, and it is also a fully functional NAVTEX system with an optional built-in receiver/processor.
An optional active antenna coupler is available that covers standard fax as well as the 518-kHz NAVTEX transmissions.
As a fax receiver, the FAX-208A produces exceptionally clear, detailed weather and satellite charts, with four gray-scale levels on 8-inch nonfading thermal recording paper with no unpleasant carbon dust or crinkled wet-paper readouts. The FAX 208A has a built-in synthesized receiver covering all known or upcoming channels, and offers microprocessor- controlled scanning for any station or combination you may desire to program in. Other standard features include keep-alive batteries to protect data in memory and a timer to activate the unit for preprogramed schedules.
In the NAVTEX mode, the FAX- 208A automatically stores all normal incoming traffic for later printout.
For urgent messages, it automatically overrides the fax mode and prints them immediately.
Operation is from a 10-40 VDC universal power supply, drawing just 20 W on standby and 40 W operating.
For more information and free literature on Furuno's FAP-50 microprocessor controlled autopilot, Circle 23 on Reader Service Card For free literature on Furuno's award-winning FAX-508A, Circle 24 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from February 1988 issue
- Almerico to Manage Trinity's Mississippi Shipbuilding Operations page: 5
- New Swagelok Tube Fittings Incorporate Sanitary Flanges page: 5
- Mitsubishi's High-Speed Passenger Boat Promises New Era In Smooth Sailing page: 6
- New Emergency Marker Lights Described In Color Brochure From American Cyanamid Co. page: 6
- New Products From Furuno: Advanced FAP-50 Autopilot, And Weatherfax xWith A Twist' page: 8
- Canadian Shipbuilding And Ship Repairing Association (CSSRA) Becomes CMIA page: 9
- Cruise Ship Industry Spurs Construction in Italian Yards page: 10
- Fincantieri Converting Six Ferries Under $74.4-Million Contract page: 10
- Major U.S. Shipping Companies Form New Industry Association page: 11
- Aluminum Boats Constructing 138-Foot Detroit Diesel-Powered Luxury Dinner/Cruise Vessel page: 11
- Free N ew Color Brochure Features Dampa Products page: 11
- U.S. Opens Port Of Coos Bay To Polish Ship Repairs page: 12
- American Welding Society Announces Spring Welding Education Seminar Series page: 12
- Video Describes Port Design Process And Use Of Simulation page: 13
- Hagglunds To Acquire Dutch Crane Group page: 14
- 5 Canadian Consortiums Contend For $5-Billion Domestic Sub Project page: 15
- Ceramic Coatings Approved By ABS For Diesel Engine Use page: 15
- 7th International Symposium Offshore Mechanics And Arctic Engineering page: 16
- Marine coatings & corrosion control page: 20
- Grow Group, Inc. Announces Personnel Changes page: 24
- Converted Detroit Diesel-Powered Crewboat Includes Airliner Features For Passengers, Cargo page: 25
- Kim Hotstart Pre-Heating Systems Shrink Engine Idling Costs page: 25
- Robertson Autopilot Wins NMEA Honors page: 26
- FULL FUNDING FOR TWO NEW CARRIERS GIVES NAVY 46% INCREASE FOR SHIPBUILDING page: 29
- NAVY RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT page: 39
- Southern California Sections Of American Society Of Naval Engineers To Hold Centennial Symposium page: 40
- Navy Plans To Develop ASW Minisubmarine Fleet At Cost Of $5 Billion page: 40
- Navy Shiphandling Simulator Training Expanded page: 41
- $25-Million Navy Order For Caterpillar Generators Announced By H.O. Penn page: 41
- MAJOR NAVY CONTRACTS page: 42
- Navy Secretary Webb Guest Speaker At Joint Meeting Of Propeller Club-U.S.M.M.A. Alumni page: 42
- Ingalls Awarded Navy Contract Worth $378.7 Million To Build Third LHD Ship page: 44
- Bird-Johnson Promotes Ike L. Svensson To GM-Seattle Operations page: 47
- MAN GHH Merges Crane Subsidiaries page: 50
- Fjellstrand Delivers New Design, High-Speed 200-Passenger Ferry page: 51
- Si-Tex Offers Budget Radiotelephone; Reintroduces EZ-7 Loran-C Receiver page: 51
- American Bureau Of Shipping— A 'Class Act' For Over 125 Years page: 52
- Raytheon Introduces New R61 Rasterscan Radar page: 54
- Cummins-Powered 'Traktor Jet' Gives Workboats Unprecedented Thrust page: 54
- Cummins Announces Availability Of New XA' Series Diesel Engines page: 55
- Westmark Completes Acquisition Of Tracor page: 55
- Furuno Introduces New High Resolution Color Radar page: 56
- McDermott Joint Venture Awarded Contract Worth More Than $100 Million page: 56
- New Container Liner Bags Cut Liquid Carriage Costs page: 56
- Bender Posts Successful Recovery From Chapter 11 page: 57
- Spar Associates Awarded Systems Contract By Halifax-Dartmouth page: 61
- Free Brochure On Marine Technical Services Offered By Clyde Leavitt, Inc. page: 62
- EES Corporation Offers Brochure On 'Omnipure' Sewage Treatment Plants page: 62
- Wartsila Diesel Presents A New Auxiliary Engine, The Vasa 2 2 / 26 page: 69