SNAME Philadelphia Section Discusses Finite Element Method
The Philadelphia Section of The Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers met at the Engineers Club recently f o r the presentation and discussion of the technical paper Fundamentals and Applications of the Finite Element in Analyzing Structural and Non-Structural Marine Problems.
The paper, written by Dr.
Donald Liu and Dr. Yung Kuang Chen, both of the American Bureau of Shipping, was presented to 55 members and guests following cocktails and dinner. A discussion and a general question session followed the presentation.
Since the development of the finite element method (FEM) in the sixties, it has become a widely used and.significant means of ship structures analysis and structural analysis in general. Not only has the number of users of FEM increased but so has the variety of applications increased from stress analysis to magnetohydrodynamics.
The paper illustrates the use of FEM in solution of complex structural problems such as web frame stress analysis, analysis of stress in propellers whose complex shapes (high skew, large blade sections) can be adequately modeled with FEM and the stress analysis of complicated jackup drill rigs. The paper also includes illustrations and examples of vibration analysis using FEM, most notably the modeling of an entire tanker, including deckhouse, to determine the dynamic response of the tanker to propeller-induced vibratory forces.
Following the presentation, Dr.
Bernard McNamee (Drexel University), Gary Mauers (Delaval), and William Toner (Delaval) each presented a discussion of the paper.
Dr. McNamee noted the benefits and trade-offs of FEM, as well as some introductory FEM textbooks. Messrs. Mauers and Toner illustrated the use of FEM at Delaval for turbine and gear design. The three discussors as well as the topic presentation generated a lively and interesting debate with the audience.
Also of note was a presentation honoring Kees Gyswyt(J.J. Henry Co., Inc.) for his outstanding work as last year's Section chairman.
Other stories from March 15, 1981 issue
- Latest Rig Order From Santa Fe Drilling Brings Total To $442 Million page: 4
- CAI Introduces New Keyboard-Operated SSB Transceiver Line page: 5
- J.J. Henry Company Opens West Coast Office In San Diego page: 7
- Hampton Roads SNAME Section Hears Paper On Rudder Torque Prediction page: 7
- $9-Million Contract For Bulk Transfer Facility Won By Dravo Wellman page: 8
- Barge Contract Raises Bath Iron's Orderbook To About $767 Million page: 8
- ON THE COVER page: 10
- A.J. Herrington Named Marketing/Sales Manager At Waukesha Bearings page: 10
- McAdams And Perk Named Construction Supers At Conrad Industries page: 10
- Marine Port Engineers Fort Schuyler Forum Scheduled For March 21 page: 10
- TBW Industries Names Manufacturing Licensee For United Kingdom page: 12
- $4-Million Contract For SPM Terminal In Java Sea Awarded To IMODCO page: 12
- P.Y. Wang Joins Lexington Transport As Senior Marine Superintendent page: 12
- Swiftships Delivers Aluminum MTU-Powered Service Vessel page: 14
- New Drydock Installed At Todd Shipyards' New Orleans Division page: 14
- J. Erik Hvide Named President And COO Of Hvide Shipping page: 14
- Hitachi Gets Order For Two More Drilling Rigs For Hunt Group page: 16
- DEBEG Watch Receiver Approved By FCC page: 16
- Hostelley To Supervise Republic's Non-Ocean Marine Transportation page: 16
- Richard Hopkins Promoted To Vice President Of J.J. Henry In Moorestown page: 17
- ALCO Power To Introduce New Model Diesel Engine —Literature Available page: 17
- Modernized Wharf In New Orleans Gives Todd Yard Expanded Capacity page: 18
- Chevron's W.H. Banks Named Board Chairman Of AIMS page: 18
- Breedlove And Berger Named To New Posts At Wall Rope Works page: 18
- Avondale To Acquire New $50-Million Drydock For Ship Repair Work page: 20
- Uniflite Gets $690,000 Navy Contract For Five Utility Boats page: 20
- 'Speed Sincher' Cuts Onboard Lashing Time —Literature Available page: 22
- Harold Smith Appointed General Manager Of Detroit Diesel Allison page: 22
- $2.6-Million Modernization Contracts Awarded To TTS By Vemar Yard page: 23
- Sail-Equipped Motorship Feasible page: 24
- Gems Level Switches Meet Latest Self-Checking Capability Requirements page: 28
- Three Executive Promotions Made By Tidewater Marine— Allgood Named President page: 31
- William Black Appointed President Of Moran Transportation Industries page: 36
- Spanish Ferry Company Adds Second Jetfoil In Canary Islands Service page: 38
- ASNE Section Meeting Held At Naval Submarine Base In New London page: 38
- Chick And Davie Named Regional Sales Managers For Gdynia America Line page: 40
- Non-Slip Deck Coating Helps Prevent Falls Aboard Rigs And Ships page: 40
- COMSAT To Sponsor Maritime Satellite Seminar On April 29 page: 41
- San Diego SNAME Hears Paper On Ship Machinery Automation page: 41
- Navire Linkspan To Serve Isle Of Man RO/RO Operation page: 42
- $2-Million Federal Grant Awarded To Massport For Pier Renovation page: 42
- R.B. Bittner Named VP And Chief Engineer For Riedel International page: 42
- Raytheon Building $1.4-Million Magnetic Measuring System For USN page: 43
- $1.9-Million Navy Contract Awarded To Nationwide Boiler Rentals page: 43
- Shipboard Electrical Cable Discussed At New York SNAME page: 44
- Transamerica Delaval Licensed To Build Stork-Werkspoor Diesel page: 44
- Racal Electronics Plans To Acquire Full Ownership Of ITT Decca Marine page: 45
- Waste Heat Recovery Handbook Available From American-Standard page: 45
- Foss Seattle Shipyard Named Cummins Dealer For Parts And Service page: 46
- Chen Named General Manager, Tan Sales And Commercial Manager, Of Sembawang Yard page: 46
- W.E. Haggett Appointed President And COO Of Bath Iron Works page: 47
- McFadden And Klose Appointed Assistant Vice Presidents At J.J. Henry page: 47
- Northern California SNAME Hears Paper On RO/RO Ships page: 48
- J.M. Blenkhorn Appointed President And CEO Of Equitable Shipyards page: 48
- Boeing Sells $13.7-Million Jetfoil To Indonesia page: 48
- New HITCO Brochure Covers High-Temperature Insulation Textiles page: 49
- IHI Delivers VLCC 'Nissho Maru' To Idemitsu Tanker Company page: 49
- SNAME Philadelphia Section Discusses Finite Element Method page: 62
- Vosper Limited Group Gets Three Contracts Worth $29 Million Total page: 62
- Newest Waterman Steamship LASH/Containership Enters Service page: 62