Marinette Marine Awarded $51.8-Million Navy Contract To Build Another MCM
Marinette Marine Corporation of Marinette, Wise., has been awarded a $51.8-million contract by the Naval Sea Systems Command for construction of one additional mine countermeasures ship, the MCM-7.
Marinette previously was awarded Navy contracts totaling $88 million for construction of two other ships of this class, the Defender (MCM-2) and the Champion (MCM-4). Both of these vessels are currently well advanced in their construction, with the Defender scheduled for delivery in 1987 and the Champion in 1988.
The MCM-7 is scheduled for the fall of 1989 delivery.
This Avenger Class is the first new mine countermeasures ship developed by the Navy in nearly 30 years. It represents one of the most sophisticated and capable ships of its type ever built in the world. The ability of the MCM ships to hunt, neutralize, and sweep mines in U.S.
waters and overseas areas, including all potential sea lane choke points, will provide U.S. naval forces with a formidable defensive platform.
The MCM ship is 224 feet long with a beam of 39 feet, and displaces approximately 1,200 long tons. The ship is constructed entirely of wood.
This wood structure is a combination of laminated oak framing, Douglas fir planking, and Douglas fir deck sheathing. The superstructure is a combination of laminated and solid woods. The entire ship is covered with GRP fiberglass for environmental protection.
Marinette will build the newly contracted MCM in its $7.1-million Ship Erection Facility that was designed and built specifically to accommodate the MCM ship construction program. Utilizing the expansive twin fabrication bays, two MCMs can be completed prior to being moved to the waterfront for launching.
The new MCM ship contract award will provide a continuation of employment for the Marinette personnel currently working on the program.
Other stories from October 1986 issue
- Wartsila Diesel Acquires Lindholmen Motor page: 5
- Bethlehem Yard Receives $1.9-Million Contract To Repair RRF Reefer page: 5
- 'World Series Contactors And Overload Relays' Brochure Available page: 6
- Bakke New President Of Hempel Coatings (USA) page: 6
- Charles W. Mann Named President, MonArk Boat page: 7
- Bath Iron Works Sold To New York Investor Group page: 8
- SPT Ltd. Offers Free 14-Page Color Brochure On Sound Powered Phones page: 8
- San Diego Shipbuilding Delivers Dinner Cruise Vessel To Bahia Resort page: 8
- Bethlehem-Sparrows Point Receives Navy Contracts Worth $5.1 Million page: 9
- Keel-Laying Ceremony Held At Bethlehem-Sparrows Point Yard For First of Two Navy Survey Vessels page: 9
- Hempel Begins New Campaign page: 9
- Sperry Appoints New Program Manager page: 10
- Volvo Penta's New 61 And 71 Series For Workboats Developed Using Advanced Computer Techniques page: 10
- Falmouth Shiprepair Offers Free Color Brochure On Facilities And Services page: 11
- Master Marine Responds To Change In The Shipbuilding Market With Vessel Conversions page: 11
- Newport News Yard Lays Keel For Carrier 'George Washington' page: 11
- FISH EXPO '86 20th Anniversary Preview page: 12
- New MAN B&W Diesel Engine Extends Two-Stroke Output To Lower Range page: 18
- Avondale To Perform Major Work On The Wisconsin (BB 64) page: 18
- Ulstein Introduces New High-Lift Type Rudder page: 19
- Marinette Marine Awarded $51.8-Million Navy Contract To Build Another MCM page: 20
- Raytheon Signs Sales Agreement With YEW page: 20
- Deck Machinery Ana Cargo-Handling Equipment — A Review— page: 22
- Drewry Predicts Growing Demand For Larger Products Carriers page: 35
- Kamatics Offers New Free 22-Page Catalog On KAron® Bearings page: 35
- Squire-Cogswell To Distribute Robuschi Liquid Ring Vacuum Pumps In U.S. And Canada page: 36
- 12-Page, Full-Color Brochure From Bailey Highlights Marine Control Systems And Services page: 36
- Rolls-Royce Designed Marine Diesels Make U.S. Debut In New Catamaran page: 37
- Innovative Shortsea Vessel Fitted With Unique MacGregor-Navire CAE page: 38
- Cummins-Powered River Queen Delivered By Serodino Shipyard page: 38
- Claremont Offers Free Catalog On Thermal & Acoustical Insulation page: 39
- Quick Delivery Reduces Drydocking Costs For Navy Bearing Replacement page: 40
- $12.2-Million Contract Awarded Swiftships To Build 30 Patrol Boats page: 40
- Peterson Gets $96.6-Million Navy Contract To Build Two Additional MCMs page: 41
- Tideland Introduces New Buoy Design For Deepwater Applications page: 41
- Canadian Offshore Resources Exposition page: 42
- Spinner II Oil Cleaning Centrifuges Reduce Engine Wear Rates page: 44
- Nichols Delivers Another Passenger Catamaran To Red & White Fleet page: 45
- Hyundai Introduces Three Standard Crude Oil Tanker Designs page: 45
- Columbian CF-3 Stainless Propellers Provide High Performance And Long Life page: 46
- Gladding-Hearn Builds Lobster Boat For New Hampshire Firm page: 46
- Drew And MAN B&W Conduct Joint Tests On Fuel Additive page: 47
- PACIFIC MARINE EXPO page: 48
- Fairbanks Morse Supplying Emergency Power For Sohio Drilling Facility In Alaska page: 52
- New GRP Survival Lifeboats From OME Withstand 1,000° C page: 52
- Marathon LeTourneau Awarded Contract To Convert Rig page: 53
- Racal's ISES Improves Ship Operating Efficiency page: 59
- Pittsburgh Brass Offers Free Catalog On Valves And Actuators page: 59
- Free 12-Page Brochure Highlights Avondale's Seven Divisions page: 59
- More Than 500 Vessels Now Coated With Jotun Seaconomy page: 62
- American Ship Awards Contract For Preliminary Passenger Ship Design page: 63
- Free Eight-Page Brochure On Marine Powermeters Offered By Acurex page: 63