Blount Delivers Passenger/Vehicle Ferry For Run Between New London And Fisher's Island
Blount Marine Corporation of Warren, R.I., has announced the delivery of the Munnatawket, a passenger/vehicle ferry designed and built for the Fisher's Island Ferry District.
The Ferry District is an authority of the State of New York, administrated by an elected Board of Commissioners. Raymond F.
Doyen, chairman of the District, accepted the vessel at ceremonies held at Fisher's Island. Officials of the Town of Southhold, L.I., spoke at the ceremonies attended by most of the Island's residents.
While the winter population is rather small, the Island, formerly the site of Fort Wright, boasts an extensive summer colony.
The Munnatawket's name was chosen by Islanders since it is the name Indians gave the Island lying at the entrance to Long Island Sound.
The Munnatawket is powered by two General Motors 12V71N diesels, and attained a speed of 12 knots on trials. For extra maneuverability at congested terminals, it is equipped with a Blountdesigned Orbitrol Hydraulic Steering System and a Marco Hydraulic-powered Bow Thruster, with power furnished by a General Motors 4-71 diesel located in the engine room.
The 132-foot by 33-foot by 8-foot vessel was built under United States Coast Guard supervision, and is certified to carry 210 passengers and 44 tons of vehicles and freight (3 trucks and 17 cars). During the construction of the vessel, G. Gilbert Wyland of Sparkman & Stevens, Incorporated, acted as owner's representative.
The Munnatawket is the sixth vessel of this class designed and built by Blount, and will join the Blount-built Olinda on the 7-mile run between New London, Conn., and the Island.
Other stories from July 15, 1978 issue
- Increased Cost Of Tug/Supply Vessels Approved By Mar Ad page: 4
- Bethlehem Beaumont Yard Receives Drilling Rig Contract From Marlin page: 7
- Northwest Marine Gets $2.67-Million Drydock Contract From IHI page: 7
- Mo ran Towing And Crowley Maritime Form Ocean Salvors page: 8
- Excess Insurance Appoints CMI, Inc. page: 8
- ICHCA Elects Murdoch To Succeed Holubowicz page: 9
- Fred W. Beltz Jr. Elected Vice President DeLaval Turbine Inc. page: 10
- Pouch To Succeed Shields As President Barber Steamship Lines page: 10
- Newport News Shipbuilding Delivers Converted Tanker Exxon Galveston page: 11
- MarAd Approves Noble-National Title XI 'Guarantee page: 11
- Matton Shipyard Delivers The Michael Turecamo —Latest Addition To The Turecamo Fleet page: 11
- Shipyard President Named Maritime Man Of The Year page: 12
- Blount Delivers Passenger/Vehicle Ferry For Run Between New London And Fisher's Island page: 14
- Corps Of Engineers Names Raymond Gabriel Chief Of Procurement page: 14
- ASNE And SNAME Pacific Northwest Section Hold Joint Meeting In Bremerton, Washington page: 16
- Tank Ship Fleet Analysis Released page: 16
- Halter Marine Delivers Two Of Four Supply Boats To Arthur Levy Enterprises page: 16
- Worthington Pump Appoints H.R. Lemcke page: 17
- Delta Line Combined Fleet Adds New Ports —Executives Named page: 17
- Equitable Shipyards, Inc. Lays Keel For Third 2,000-DWT Breakbulk Vessel For American Atlantic page: 18
- Bailey Meter Is Now Bailey Controls Company page: 18
- Global Marine Awards Drilling Rig Contract To Davie Shipbuilding page: 20
- Grandson Of Founder Nominee For Todd Board page: 20
- Mississippi Marine Launches Its First Offshore Supply Vessel page: 23
- SNAME 1978-79 Program For San Diego Section page: 23
- Bethlehem Steel Awards Design Contract To Morris Guralnick Assoc. page: 24
- Robert H. Wager Co., Inc. Elects New Officers page: 24
- Natomas-Skaarup Offers Bunkering Services In Jeddah, Saudi Arabia page: 24
- Philadelphia Section Holds Annual Dinner-Dance page: 24
- Michael Marinaro Advanced By Worthington Compressors' Division page: 25
- Johnny's Propeller Shop Expands Houma Facility page: 25
- 10-Year, $100-Billion Navy Shipbuilding Program Advocated page: 30
- Taywood-Santa Fe Awarded Management Project In North Sea page: 30
- NAVSECPHILADIV Annual Awards Presented To Carlton And Bruner page: 31
- FMC Corporation Names Gill To Newly Created Post page: 31
- G.M. Electro-Motive Diesels Hit 100-Millionth Horsepower Mark page: 32
- Bird-Johnson Receives Bow Thruster Contract page: 32
- Sun Ship Tanker Christening Highlights Yard's Family Day page: 32
- No. California SNAME Discusses Ships And Terminals For Nodules Mined From Deep Pacific Ocean page: 33
- Mexican Ship Operator Employs British Company To Supervise Construction In Japanese Yard page: 33
- Zapata Corp. Forms New Fishing Group- Conrad Named President page: 34
- Port Everglades Authority Appoints Peter McChesney page: 35
- Butterworth Introduces Stainless-Steel Tank Cleaning Machine page: 35
- Engine Diagnostic System page: 37
- Gotaas-Larsen Forms New LNG Marketing Unit page: 38
- MMC Unveils A Versatile New Portable Sonic Tank Gauging Tape For Inventory Control page: 39
- Marine Services Div. Geosource Inc. Delivers Self-Propelled Barge page: 40
- Use Of Fuel Additive Shows Bunker Oil Savings Of Over 10% page: 40
- Strachan Shipping Co. Elects Mickey Lane To Board Of Directors page: 41
- APL Plans New Ship Construction Program —Retains L.A. Hardlander page: 41
- Bay-Houston Towing Announces $10.6-Million Expansion Program page: 41
- New Launch Vessel For San Francisco Area page: 41