Shipyard President Named Maritime Man Of The Year
Cecil M. Keeney, president and chief executive officer of Equitable Shipyards, Inc., has been named the 1978 Maritime Man of the Year in New Orleans, La.
The prestigious award is granted annually by The Propeller Club, Port of New Orleans, to honor a local m a r i t i m e industry official who has contributed to increased trade at the port.
Mr. Keeney received his award at the Maritime Day Banquet, which was held at the Fairmont Hotel in New Orleans on May 20, 1978.
Under Mr. Keeney's direction, Equitable has been a major factor in developing the maritime industry in Louisiana.
About 30 percent of the marine equipment and vessels built by Equitable are exported through the Port of New Orleans.
Continuous marketing by Mr.
Keeney and his staff has resulted in an increase of tonnage through the port to foreign markets.
Equitable, the leader in production of barges for barge-carrying vessels, has produced thousands of lighters now in service at the port.
Equitable has contracts amounting to about $70 million worth of work, including two ferries for the City of New York, three breakbulk cargo vessels f o r American Atlantic Shipping, Inc., oil b a r g e s e x c e e d i n g 200 feet in length, and a 150-foot ferry for the State of Louisiana.
Mr. Keeney, who has been with Equitable since May 1970, was graduated from the University of Kentucky with a degree in mechanical engineering. He later completed graduate studies in engineering, powerplant and nuclear design at the University of Maryland, and G e o r g e W a s h i n g t o n University.
Other stories from July 15, 1978 issue
- Increased Cost Of Tug/Supply Vessels Approved By Mar Ad page: 4
- Bethlehem Beaumont Yard Receives Drilling Rig Contract From Marlin page: 7
- Northwest Marine Gets $2.67-Million Drydock Contract From IHI page: 7
- Mo ran Towing And Crowley Maritime Form Ocean Salvors page: 8
- Excess Insurance Appoints CMI, Inc. page: 8
- ICHCA Elects Murdoch To Succeed Holubowicz page: 9
- Fred W. Beltz Jr. Elected Vice President DeLaval Turbine Inc. page: 10
- Pouch To Succeed Shields As President Barber Steamship Lines page: 10
- Newport News Shipbuilding Delivers Converted Tanker Exxon Galveston page: 11
- MarAd Approves Noble-National Title XI 'Guarantee page: 11
- Matton Shipyard Delivers The Michael Turecamo —Latest Addition To The Turecamo Fleet page: 11
- Shipyard President Named Maritime Man Of The Year page: 12
- Blount Delivers Passenger/Vehicle Ferry For Run Between New London And Fisher's Island page: 14
- Corps Of Engineers Names Raymond Gabriel Chief Of Procurement page: 14
- ASNE And SNAME Pacific Northwest Section Hold Joint Meeting In Bremerton, Washington page: 16
- Tank Ship Fleet Analysis Released page: 16
- Halter Marine Delivers Two Of Four Supply Boats To Arthur Levy Enterprises page: 16
- Worthington Pump Appoints H.R. Lemcke page: 17
- Delta Line Combined Fleet Adds New Ports —Executives Named page: 17
- Equitable Shipyards, Inc. Lays Keel For Third 2,000-DWT Breakbulk Vessel For American Atlantic page: 18
- Bailey Meter Is Now Bailey Controls Company page: 18
- Global Marine Awards Drilling Rig Contract To Davie Shipbuilding page: 20
- Grandson Of Founder Nominee For Todd Board page: 20
- Mississippi Marine Launches Its First Offshore Supply Vessel page: 23
- SNAME 1978-79 Program For San Diego Section page: 23
- Bethlehem Steel Awards Design Contract To Morris Guralnick Assoc. page: 24
- Robert H. Wager Co., Inc. Elects New Officers page: 24
- Natomas-Skaarup Offers Bunkering Services In Jeddah, Saudi Arabia page: 24
- Philadelphia Section Holds Annual Dinner-Dance page: 24
- Michael Marinaro Advanced By Worthington Compressors' Division page: 25
- Johnny's Propeller Shop Expands Houma Facility page: 25
- 10-Year, $100-Billion Navy Shipbuilding Program Advocated page: 30
- Taywood-Santa Fe Awarded Management Project In North Sea page: 30
- NAVSECPHILADIV Annual Awards Presented To Carlton And Bruner page: 31
- FMC Corporation Names Gill To Newly Created Post page: 31
- G.M. Electro-Motive Diesels Hit 100-Millionth Horsepower Mark page: 32
- Bird-Johnson Receives Bow Thruster Contract page: 32
- Sun Ship Tanker Christening Highlights Yard's Family Day page: 32
- No. California SNAME Discusses Ships And Terminals For Nodules Mined From Deep Pacific Ocean page: 33
- Mexican Ship Operator Employs British Company To Supervise Construction In Japanese Yard page: 33
- Zapata Corp. Forms New Fishing Group- Conrad Named President page: 34
- Port Everglades Authority Appoints Peter McChesney page: 35
- Butterworth Introduces Stainless-Steel Tank Cleaning Machine page: 35
- Engine Diagnostic System page: 37
- Gotaas-Larsen Forms New LNG Marketing Unit page: 38
- MMC Unveils A Versatile New Portable Sonic Tank Gauging Tape For Inventory Control page: 39
- Marine Services Div. Geosource Inc. Delivers Self-Propelled Barge page: 40
- Use Of Fuel Additive Shows Bunker Oil Savings Of Over 10% page: 40
- Strachan Shipping Co. Elects Mickey Lane To Board Of Directors page: 41
- APL Plans New Ship Construction Program —Retains L.A. Hardlander page: 41
- Bay-Houston Towing Announces $10.6-Million Expansion Program page: 41
- New Launch Vessel For San Francisco Area page: 41