GM-Powered Towboat 'Jeanie-K' Delivered By Riverway Shipyard
Riverway Shipyard Company, Grafton, 111., recently completed construction of the 1,200-bhp towboat Jeanie-K (shown above) for Riverway Harbor Service, New Orleans. The new vessel will be used as a fleet boat and a shuttle boat in the New Orleans area.
The Jeanie-K is 65 feet long, 24 feet wide, and 10 feet deep.
She has an operating draft of 8 feet. The bow rake headlog and corners were built of %-inch plate with %-inch rub bars welded over the corners for added protection.
The towknees, headlog, and rigging deck were outfitted with rubber bumpers from B-J Marine Products. The rigging deck is also outfitted with a Class C-3 LOHED car puller.
The boat was built with a fully equipped galley, internal stairs, two bathrooms, quarters for six crew members, an e l e c t r o n i cs room, and a 9-foot by 10-foot pilothouse with a 26-foot eye level.
The main stack is removable for easy access to the engine room.
The two General Motors Detroit Diesel Allison main engines were furnished by Western Diesel Services. They are model 16V92, each rated at 600 bhp at 1,800 rpm. They are air operated from the pilothouse by AMOT air controls.
The Twin Disc reverse-reduction gears turn the shafts at 7:1 ratio, and were also supplied by Western Diesel. The stainlesssteel, four-blade propellers are 72-inch diameter by 64-inch pitch.
They were fitted to two 6-inch t a i l s h a f t s with three chrome sleeves each.
The two steering rudders and four flanking rudders have 6-inch stocks with upper and lower mild steel sleeves. The sleeves turn in brass bearings lubricated by grease. The steering and flanking rudders are individually controlled by double-acting hydraulic cylinders. Power and control to the cylinders is supplied by a two pump/motor combination of v a r i a b l e volume furnished by Skipper Hydraulics, Inc. Complete control of the motor operation is handled from the pilothouse.
Electric power is derived from two Detroit 3-71 diesels operating at 1,800 rpm driving 3-phase, 30- kw International Electric generators.
One generator is air start; the other battery start. Voltage is reduced to proper operating levels by transformers through a Simplex modular control system.
Compressed air for engine starting, engine controls and whistle is supplied by two Quincy air compressors with 5-hp, 1,800 rpm motors.
A Pan American Systems Corporation's 18-point monitoring and alarm system maintains a constant check on main and auxiliary engines and miscellaneous, associated equipment in the engine room. A pilothouse information panel provides auxiliary monitoring signals.
Deck machinerv includes two NABRICO hydroelectric 40-ton winches. Fire protection on the boat is provided by the standard r e m o t e l y operated fire pump hooked directly to two hose stations on the exterior of the vessel.
The interior is fully protected by manually operated portable C02 fire extinguishers.
The pilothouse, crew quarters, galley, and two bathrooms are fully insulated for heat, air-conditioning, and sound. The boat is air-conditioned for comfort. A St.
Louis Ship FAST System LS-1 was installed for treatment of sewage.
A Carlisle & Finch 500-watt xenon searchlight and two Carlisle & Finch 14-inch, 1,000-watt incandescent searchlights are located on the pilothouse roof. Directional spotlights are located on all four corners of the vessel at the second deck level. The pilothouse is fitted with a Kahlenberg airhorn and radar manufactured by Furuno.
Other stories from May 1981 issue
- Guidelines For Tanker Requirements Available From U.S. Coast Guard page: 4
- PORTEX '81 page: 6
- Megasystems To Supply Monitoring Equipment For 8 Oceangoing Tugs page: 6
- MarAd Study Predicts Big Fuel Savings For Sail Assisted Ships page: 6
- Dr. P.W. Murrill Elected To Tidewater Board page: 7
- Hitachi Zosen Delivers Products Carrier To Panamanian Owner page: 8
- Matson Orders Econics Fuel Optimizers—Reports 3.5% Savings In Fuel page: 8
- Sun Ship Jumboizing 'Lurline' Using Unique "Reverse Launch" page: 8
- Vander Laan Promoted To Vice President Of Soros Associates page: 9
- BSC Lays Keel For Bulk Barge page: 10
- New Hercules Brochure Describes Advantages Of Chlorinated Rubber page: 10
- Johnson Named Manager Of Shipyard Systems For Hydranautics Hydraulic page: 10
- Wronowski Fleet Adds First Boat With Cummins KTA-3067M Engines page: 10
- Promet Launches Offshore Supply Vessel For Jackson Marine page: 10
- Bell-Halter Delivers First Commercial SES To Command Marine page: 12
- Port Engineers/SUNY Forum Discussed Fuels-Present And Future page: 12
- Big IOT Petroleum Barge Launched At Galveston Shipbuilding page: 12
- SNAME Northern California Section Hears Paper On "Dejumboizing page: 12
- Mobil Orders Sperry Advanced Navigation System For The 'Mobile Search' page: 13
- Gearmatic Announces New Hydraulic Hoist —Literature Available page: 14
- New Oily Water Separator Exceeds USCG Standards —Literature Available page: 14
- B&W Delivers Second Panamax Bulker-14 More On Order page: 14
- Howson Elected President And COO Of McDermott's Marine Construction Unit page: 15
- Twin Disc Introduces New Torque Converters —Literature Available page: 15
- Shaver Transportation Acquires Big Towboat "Cascades' page: 16
- Promet W i l l Build The First Of Its Kind Of Rig For Elf page: 16
- G l o b a l M a r i n e Oil A n d Gas Unit Names Hatcher President page: 16
- First Saudi-Owned Shipping Company Gets First Vessel page: 18
- Anastasio Elected President Of Marine Concrete Structures page: 18
- C.T. Palo Appointed Marine Superintendent For McAllister-Philadelphia page: 18
- New Catalog Available From WABCO Describes Marine Control Valves page: 18
- Kurzenhauser Named Vice President-Production At St. Louis Ship page: 19
- New Spicer Universal Joint Couplings Described In New Catalog page: 19
- McDermott Unit Renamed —Earles And Foster Appointed Senior VPs page: 19
- SNAME Los Angeles Section Discusses Lineshaft Alignment page: 20
- New On-Site Generator Produces On-Demand Oxygen From Ambient Air page: 20
- Electric Propulsion Systems Discussed At SNAME Chesapeake Section page: 20
- New Lifting Technique Lowers Costs In Construction Of Drilling Rigs page: 20
- Title XI Approved For Seven Rio Marine Barges Costing $8.7 Million page: 21
- Kiyotaka Furuno Wins Award Presented By NMEA page: 21
- Westfalia Oil Purifiers Improve Performance- Literature Available page: 21
- Far East-Levingston To Build Drillship For Global Marine page: 21
- Wardwell Named Chairman And Lesch Elected Vice Chairman Of NOIA page: 22
- PROPELLERS '81 page: 22
- Larry Anderson Named Marketing Manager For Raytheon Marine page: 23
- New Technical Reports Now Available From Ship Structure Committee page: 23
- T A N O A w a r d e d $1.9-Million Contract By B I W Yard For A u t o m a t i o n Systems page: 24
- Texaco Names Dubuisson To N e w Offshore Post page: 24
- Gerald Carson Joins APL As North America Director Of Operations page: 25
- New Liquid Cargo System Introduced By Vu-Gage— Literature Available page: 25
- NICOR Expands Offshore Fleet With Acquisition Of Two Additional Companies page: 26
- Grant Hagen Joins Designers & Planners page: 26
- NCAA Chapter Awards Honorary Membership To Captain Barnaby page: 27
- SNAME To Sponsor Exhibition At 90th Annual Meeting In 1982 page: 27
- B.F. Jensen Merges With Norwegian-Owned Marine Consultant Firm page: 27
- Higbee And Marchiando Get New Responsibilities At National Supply Company page: 28
- Delaval Gets $14.5-Million Contract For Diesel Engines To Power Falcon I Tankers page: 28
- ASNE Delaware Valley Chapter Holds Meeting At Philadelphia Naval Base page: 28
- Admiral D.G. Iselin Joins Raymond Unit page: 28
- Big Testing Basin In Norway Built At Cost Of $25 Million page: 29
- ABS Signs Cooperation Agreement With Chinese Classification Society page: 30
- Polypropylene Netting Protects Marine Cargo —Literature Available page: 30
- Dwight Toney Appointed Sales And Operations Manager At American Aero page: 30
- Hitachi Completes Combination Cargo Carrier For Galleon Shipping page: 30
- Penco To Market Showa's Fuel Mixing System page: 31
- Global And Japanese Firm Jointly Offer Offshore Production Systems page: 31
- Blohm + Voss Plans To Manufacture Its Joiner System On Gulf Coast page: 32
- HUDSHIP Announces Major Expansion Of Shipbuilding Operation page: 32
- V. Wayne Davis Elected President Of NCAA Norfolk Naval Shipyard Chapter page: 32
- IHI Delivers Japan's Biggest Helicopter Destroyer page: 33
- Sail Systems For Commercial Ships Could Cut Fuel Costs 30% —Literature Available page: 33
- Four More Rigs Ordered At General Dynamics' Charleston Facility page: 34
- Symposium On Ship Operations To Be Held In New York November 17-19 page: 34
- Armco's Nitronic 50 Ideal For Downhole Use —Literature Available page: 35
- Ice Tech 81 page: 36
- New Brochure On Hoists, Winches And Mooring Systems Offered By Skagit page: 38
- Nuclear-Powered Sub 'Houston' Launched At Newport News Yard page: 39
- Main Iron Works Delivers Alco-Powered 'Karen Ann' To Corpus Christi Marine Services page: 39
- Designers & Planners Completes Replacement Study On Alaska Ferry page: 40
- Fireboat Design Contract To Nickum & Spaulding page: 42
- GM-Powered Towboat 'Jeanie-K' Delivered By Riverway Shipyard page: 42
- Penco Appointed U.S. Agent For Bremer Vulcan page: 42
- DeJong & Associates To Design New Tug Series For Corps Of Engineers page: 44
- Bailey Reorganizes Miami Operations—Paul Gausted Appointed Vice President page: 44
- New Worldwide Service Company Formed By Racal-Decca Group page: 45
- Van Dawark Appointed President Of Dillingham Maritime Division page: 45
- Avondale Gets $300-Million Contract From Exxon For Three Products Carriers page: 46
- Brochure And Technical Data Sheets Describe ZF Marine Gears page: 46
- Admiral Fugaro Named Senior Vice President Of Great Lakes Towing page: 46
- Liberian Shipowners Refute UNCTAD Proposals In Two New Reports page: 47
- New Brochure Describes Jackups Available From Marathon LeTourneau page: 47
- Maintenance Repair And Overhaul Parts Catalog From Reliance Electric page: 47
- Two Power Plant Barges For The Philippines Completed By Hitachi page: 47
- Pacific Northwest SNAME Holds Annual Student Meeting page: 48
- Swiss Fabricating Provided Staging For New Drydocks At Newport News Ship page: 48
- Van der Naillen Named AWO Board Chairman page: 48
- Acadiana Shipbuilding Completes Yard Expansion page: 48
- MarAd Approves Title XI On Five Beker Vessels page: 48
- Racker And Vincent Named Assistant Vice Presidents At Lykes Bros. Steamship page: 48
- M a r A d Postpones Bidding On Five Obsolete Ships page: 49
- Simrad Loran C Receiver Is Fully A u t o m a t i c - Literature A v a i l a b le page: 49
- Hoffert Marine Adds Hundested Propellers To Its Product Line page: 49
- Levingston Lays Keel For First Jackup Rig For Noble Drilling page: 49
- W.R. Laws Elected To Executive VP At Geosource page: 49
- H.P. Drewry Offers 125- Page Study 'Governments And Dry Bulk Shipping' page: 50
- Hydranautics' Transfer System Now In Use At Rauma Repola Yard page: 50
- Sause Bros. Barge-Building Facility In Coos Bay Nearing Completion page: 50
- Martinez And Faass Join Waukesha Engine Division In International Sales Posts page: 51
- Biggest Stuelckenmast Floating Crane Delivered By Blohm + Voss page: 51
- Sixth Supply Boat Delivered To Marsea Marine By Halter page: 51
- Navy Awards Tracor $7.6-Million Contract page: 52
- MarAd Offers Canadian Transshipment Study page: 53
- Mid-Coast Marine To Build $1-Million Pusher Towboat For Mexican Owner page: 53
- N&SA Names Stumbo And Hagemann Vice Presidents page: 53
- Braden Offers New Series Of Improved Winches- Literature Available page: 53
- Omnithruster Appoints Manotherm Representative For Benelux Countries page: 54
- Dallas-Based Company To Open Coal-Exporting Facility At Port Of Albany page: 55
- Norfolk Naval Shipyard NCAA Presents Productivity Award page: 58
- Industrial Marine Achieved Rapid Turnaround Time In Repairing Drilling Rig page: 58
- Second Latex Carrier For Firestone Christened At Koyo Dock Yards page: 60
- New Ship/Shore Power Connectors From J o y - Literature Available page: 60
- AUM Appointed Exclusive Worldwide Marketer Of NRG Lube Treatments page: 60
- Conrad Industries Names McAdams And Bailey To New Management Posts page: 61
- Galatas And Graham Get Promotions At Southern Shipbuilding Corporation page: 62
- Amoco Foundation Contributes To Maine Maritime Academy page: 62
- Two Double-Hull Bunkering Barges Delivered By Nashville Bridge page: 66
- Cummins-Powered 110-Foot 'Comet7 Delivered To Shippen Marine page: 66