Hitachi Completes Crude/Products Carrier For Arapaho Shipping
The 63,953-dwt crude/products carrier Andromeda (shown below) was delivered recently by Hitachi Zosen's Ariake Works to the owner, Arapaho Shipping Corporation (Liberia).
A Panamax type developed by Hitachi, the tanker is designed to carry crude oil and refined petroleum products.
The vessel has an overall length of 718.5 feet, beam of 105.6 feet, depth of 62.3 feet, and full-load draft of 42 feet. She is powered by a low-speed Hitachi/B&W 7L60MC diesel engine having a maximum continuous output of 12,800 bhp at 99 rpm. A large-diameter propeller along with the Hitachi-developed stern bulb improves propulsion efficiency while reducing noise and vibration.
In addition, self-polishing anti-fouling paint on the underwater hull has been applied to further improve propulsion efficiency and thus save fuel costs.
The Andromeda has been constructed in conformity with the rules and regulations set by the International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships (MARPOL). Moreover, double hull construction has been adopted that uses wing tanks for ballast only and the center tanks for cargo oil, thereby minimizing oil spills from the cargo tanks in the event of collision or grounding. Cargo tanks designed to carry refined petroleum products are coated with pure epoxy paint over the entire interior bulkhead surface to insure the quality of the cargo oil. Four cargo oil pumps are installed so that different types of products can be efficiently carried simultaneously.
The vessel has been built to Lloyd's Register of Shipping classification, and will be operated with a complement of 32.
Other stories from October 15, 1984 issue
- McDermott Scotland Gets $ 8 5 + Million Order For Offshore Jacket & Modules page: 4
- Keel Laid At Jeffboat Yard For Paddlewheeler 'General Jackson' page: 6
- Bender Monitors Protect Offshore Power Supplies page: 6
- Hyundai Delivers First Ship Built In Korea For Australian Owner page: 6
- Cantrill Appointed Vice President of Sales For Lister Diesel Inc. page: 7
- Helton Appointed Vice President Of Sea-Land Alaska Division—Other Promotions Announced page: 7
- Cape-Bay Shipbuilders Offer Free Literature On "American Tug-Yacht 38' page: 8
- Capital Marine Uses Computer Technology To Streamline Business page: 8
- KaMeWa Reports Lively Interest In Water Jet Propulsion Units page: 9
- Hirt Named West Gulf Operations Manager For Ryan-Walsh Stevedoring page: 9
- St. Augustine Trawlers Awarded Contract To Build Cat-Powered Vessel page: 11
- Most Powerful Heavy Lift Cargo Ship Delivered by Hitachi Zosen page: 11
- United Technologies Names Skiba Operations Director For Diesel Systems Unit page: 14
- Literature Available On Harbormaster Transverse Mounted Propulsion Unit page: 14
- Hyde Awarded Contracts For Deck Machinery On Korean-Built Vessels page: 16
- Scientific-Atlanta Gets $8.5-Million Contract For Shipboard Platform Work page: 16
- New Literature Describes Neese Protective Clothing page: 16
- GASTECH '84 page: 18
- PAMS Installs New Drydock At Its River Plant page: 22
- Kidde Offers Free Brochure On Marine Fire Protection page: 22
- Sternwheeler 'Music City Queen7 Delivered By Marine Builders page: 26
- 70-Page Color Brochure And Orderbook Chart Available From Samsung page: 26
- Furuno Appoints New Direct Sales Force page: 28
- Hitachi Completes Crude/Products Carrier For Arapaho Shipping page: 28
- Crude/Chemical/Products Tanker Delivered By Wartsila's Turku Yard page: 30
- Big Ship Radar Line Introduced By Furuno page: 30
- EXPOSHIP Far East 84 page: 32
- Literature Available On Supercompact Radar From Furuno page: 35
- New Brochure Describes Heat Exchanger Designs page: 35
- Etheridge, Mangum And Brightwell Join SOFEC In Houston Office page: 35
- Halifax Shipyard Gets Contract For C$10.7 Million To Modernize Canadian Coast Guard Tender page: 39
- Pientka And Brooks Named Vice Presidents At Comstat TeleSystems page: 39
- Newport News Shipbuilding Readies Roosevelt For Launch page: 39
- Multipurpose Vessel xHoegh Dyke' Delivered By Wartsila's Turku Yard page: 40
- Hugh Morgan Elected Vice Chairman And A Director Of Sonat Inc. page: 40
- ASMAR Completes Repairs To Chilean-Owned Frieghter page: 45
- Articulated Loading Platform Now Operating At Mobil's Statfjord XXC" Site page: 46
- Wartsila To Build 2,500-Passenger Ferry For Rederi AB Slite page: 46
- Mitsui Completes Big Products Tanker For Olympos Trading Corporation page: 47