Tyne Shiprepair Awarded Defence Ministry Contract To Convert Fleet Auxiliary
Tyne Shiprepair Limited (TSL), Britain's biggest shiprepair company, has been awarded a multi-million- pound conversion and refit contract by the Ministry of Defence (Navy). The six-month job is to convert the Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) ship Orangeleaf into a Refueling- at-Sea (RAS) vessel, and to continue her annual refit.
The 33,751-dwt tanker was capable of loading and discharging fuel, but was not fitted with RAS equipment.
The contract will be carried out at TSL's Wallsend Dockyards.
The work entails fitting the RAS equipment, fabricating and fitting a 180-ton deck above the main deck, extending the accommodations to provide extra cabins, recreation rooms, and galleys for a total complement of 60, modifying the cargo pipelines, and improving radio facilities.
Some five years ago TSL carried out a similar contract on behalf of the Defence Ministry when the yard converted a 34,000-dwt products tanker into an RFA, a job that also involved the fitting of RAS equipment.
Tyne Shiprepair was returned to private ownership in February 1984 when it was bought from British Shipbuilders by eight members of the Tyne managment team. Since then, RFAs to visit TSL have included the Reliant, the Plumleaf, the Falklands-damaged Sir Tristam that TSL is rebuilding under another multi-million-pound contract, and the Orangeleaf, which docked for two months at an earlier date having the first part of her annual refit carried out.
Another Royal Navy vessel to visit TSL is the HMS Euryalus, a Leander Class frigate that the company is refitting under another multi- million-pound contract at its Middle Docks yard in South Shields.
Other stories from September 15, 1985 issue
- Owen And Richards Named Managers At Honeywell page: 6
- MSC Announces FSS Award Totaling $30.7 Million page: 6
- Autronica's New NK-5 Unit Monitors Ship's Engine page: 6
- Grow Group Acquires Napko Coatings Division page: 6
- Bollinger Shipyard Dedicates Island Class USCG Patrol Boat Fleet page: 7
- Canadian Offshore Resources Exposition page: 8
- Moss Point Marine Delivers New Sternwheeler, Colonel page: 12
- Aluminum Boats Delivers High-Speed Crew/Utility Vessel To A&P Boats page: 12
- Matson Asks Bids On $30 Million Conversion of 'Matsonia' page: 14
- Brown & Root Awarded Feasibility Study Contract For Chevron Offshore Unit page: 15
- Congressional Maritime Caucus Establishes An Advisory Board page: 15
- OUTSTANDING RIG DESIGNS page: 16
- Bethlehem's Newest Jackup Design Can Drill In Water 600 Feet Deep page: 19
- Congressman To Address OMSA Meeting On Warehouse Vessels page: 19
- Alsthom Unit Strengthens Position In Norwegian Offshore Market page: 20
- Sandy Hook Dispatch Boat Delivered By Gladding-Hearn page: 20
- Saab Receives Order To Supply TankRadars From Tampa Shipyard page: 21
- Bertrem Products Importing Straub Couplings For U.S. And Canadian Distribution page: 21
- Conversion Of Fast Sealift Ship 'Regulus' Completed By NASSCO page: 22
- ASRY's 1984 Revenues Up Nearly 20 Percent page: 22
- Wartsila Wins Contract To Build Rig Transport Vessel For USSR page: 22
- CANADIAN SHIPBUILDING AND REPAIR YARDS page: 28
- Holman and Wildasin Elected At Raymond International page: 31
- MIROS To Market New Products In U.S. page: 32
- Furuno Introduces New Low-Cost, High-Performance Loran Navigator page: 32
- NMEA Plans Expansion Of Interface Standard page: 32
- Kockums Completes Advanced Car/Truck Carrier For Wallenius page: 33
- Cincinnati Gear Completes Testing Of New, Sophisticated Marine Drive For Navy T-AO 187 Class Oilers page: 34
- New Alarm Reduces Boiler Failures, Diesel Failures And Repair Costs page: 34
- Seattle Yard GM Elected To Todd's Board Of Directors page: 35
- Caterpillar Offers 20-Page Catalog On Marine Diesels page: 35
- Wagner Wins $4.5-Million Contract For Steering And Control Systems page: 35
- West Coast Manly Shipyards Delivers Fisheries Patrol Vessel Leonard J. Cowley page: 36
- Tyne Shiprepair Awarded Defence Ministry Contract To Convert Fleet Auxiliary page: 37
- Product Carrier 'Lucy' Christened At Hyundai's Ulsan Yard For Overseas Shipholding Group page: 38
- New Brochure Highlights Capabilities Of Marathon LeTourneau Offshore page: 38
- Aalborg Vaerft Awarded Danish Navy Contract For Seven Flex 300 Convertible Combatant Vessels page: 38
- Kockums Yard To Build Universal Ferry For Polish Shipping Company page: 41
- Transtema Kockumation Introduces New Computer System For Shipping Industry page: 41
- Huge Drydock At Bethlehem's New Sabine Yard Now Operational page: 42
- Marinette Marine Lays Keel For First Of 13 Yard Patrol Craft page: 42
- Centurion Industrial Marine Offers The 'Crew Seat page: 47
- New Brochure Available From SKF Steel Couplings On Its OK Coupling page: 47
- New Instrument Manifold Improves Safety In Process Control Systems page: 47