Avondale Boat Division Building 400-Passenger SES Ferry
Commuter Boat To Operate Between Kennedy Airport And Manhattan The Avondale Boat Division, New Orleans, La., of Avondale Industries, Inc., has received an order for a high-speed 400-passenger Surface- Effect-Ship (SES) catamaran that will be operated by Tri-State Marine Transport, Inc., in New York City commuter service between Kennedy Airport and downtown Manhattan.
Expected to enter into service this spring, the 109-foot "Air Ride" passenger ferry, with a beam of 34 feet, designed by Air Craft, Inc., will travel at speeds between 40 to 50 knots, dramatically reducing commuting time between downtown and the airport.
The SES passenger ferry will be powered by two 16-cylinder Deutz MWM 604B series diesel engines, each rated at 2,253 hp at 1,800 rpm, fitted to KaMeWa waterjets.
A Surface-Effect-Ship is an airsupported craft with catamaran-like sidewalls, in which the volume of air between the hulls is trapped with flexible bow and stern seals. This trapped air is then pressurized, providing a lift force on the entire hull.
The effect is that, with the reduced drag between the boat and the water, the vessel can provide more speed with the same amount of power.
SES craft provide a stable platform in heavy seas and handle similarly to conventional planing boats.
The state-of-the-art "Air Ride" ferry will have two decks with bar and buffet facilities and will be fitted with extensive noise reduction systems for passenger comfort.
For free literature detailing the boatbuilding services of the Avondale Boat Division, Circle 15 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from March 1989 issue
- HBC Barge Acquired By Trinity Industries page: 5
- Marine Interiors Offers Free Literature Listing Products And Services page: 6
- M a r i t i m e London 8 9 To Be Held April 17-21 In City Of London page: 6
- Swagelok Quick-Connects With Heavy-Duty Body Sleeve Now Available page: 8
- Palmer Offers Brochure On Cavitation-Reducing Polymer Coatings page: 8
- T w i n Disc Expands M a r i n e Transmission Series For Workboat Applications page: 9
- Soundcoat Offers Brochure On Vibration-Dissipating Noise Reduction Material page: 9
- N a u t i C a n Enterprises Reports Advanced Propeller Nozzle Improves Thrust, Lowers Drag page: 10
- Gladding-Hearn Announces Sale Of 3rd High-Speed Ferry For Great Lakes page: 10
- Avondale Boat Division Building 400-Passenger SES Ferry page: 11
- Lykes Names Two Senior VPs And Three New VPs page: 11
- Navigation & Communications Equipment Review page: 12
- N A V Y — A $35-BILLION ANNUAL MARKET page: 25
- MAJOR NAVY CONTRACTS page: 27
- ASNE-Mechanicsburg Section To Host Annual N a v a l Logistics Symposium In Carlisle, Pa., O n March 7 -9 page: 30
- Newest Navy Crane Ship Christened 'Diamond State' At Tampa Shipyards page: 31
- Southwest M a r i n e Drydocks Two N a v y Vessels Simultaneously For Extensive Repair Work page: 34
- Portland Ship Repair Yard Posts Successful Year page: 34
- Eldec Corporation And Dunlop Limited Form Joint Venture Company page: 34
- Dampa Appoints Hopeman Brothers Sole U.S. Distributor page: 35
- Compass Display Protected From Abrasion By Coating page: 36
- ABS Forms Corporate Quality Assurance Group page: 36
- Imperial Immersion Suits Save Lives; Survivors Get Club Membership page: 36
- SSE Launches New Class Corvette For Singapore Navy page: 38
- L&C Associates Offers Brochure On Marine Dehumidification Service page: 38
- Rolla's New Five-Bladed REXP5 Propeller Represents Breakthrough In Design page: 38
- Cargocaire Introduces Marine Dehumidifier page: 39
- Marinette Marine Tests MCM-2 Propulsion Plant page: 40
- New Generator Line From Marathon Electric page: 40
- Pan American Hovercraft Offers Color Brochure On New Design Hovercraft page: 43
- VPSI Completes Crankshaft Contract page: 43
- A W O Acclaimed For Quick, Decisive Action To Combat Drought Effects page: 44
- CABOTAGE: I N THE INTEREST OF N A T I O N A L DEFENSE A ND COMMERCE page: 46
- SUCCESS O N TAX FRONT DOMINATED 100TH CONGRESS page: 47
- W O R K I N G TOWARD CLEAN AIR A ND CLEAN WATER page: 49
- Muller Appointed Assistant VP-Operations At Moran Towing page: 51
- A W O Annual M e e t i n g To Be Held In Washington, D.C. April 6 -7 page: 51
- Literature Available On Circle Seal's Plastic Inline Check/Relief Valves page: 51
- New Commuting Service Begins Between New Jersey And New York page: 51
- New Engine Analyzer Reduces Fuel Costs On Marine Diesels page: 52
- American United Marine Wins Achievement Award For TFC Compactor Sales page: 52
- First U.S. Commercial SWATH To ABS Class Under Construction page: 53
- Unitor Ship's Hospital, Safety And Maintenance Equipment Chosen For 'Royal Viking Sun' page: 53
- Aluminum Boats Delivers 150-Passenger Excursion Boat To Maryland Tours page: 63
- Alfa Products Introduces New Boat Bilge Cleaner —Literature Available page: 63