Boston Whaler Debuts New Security Products
Timing, it is said, is everything.
Boston Whaler Commercial & Government Products has combined timing with a sterling reputation in introducing a pair of new products touted as a plank in the war to keep terrorism from U.S.
shores. According to Eric Caplan.
director of Boston Whaler Commercial & Government Products, the Sentinel is a unmanned surface vessel (USV), which is a sensing platform able to carry a wide variety of the latest technology sensing systems available.
It is designed to be a multi-tasking craft, able to carry sonar for mine detection equipment as easily as it would carry systems able to sense bio-terrorism and nuclear devices aboard ships entering a harbor. (See story and photo on page 18).
"This country obviously has a big job ahead of it, to secure its borders," Caplan said. "This will entail many new layers of security." The platform is literally designed to fill most any need, and can be remotely operated from shore or ship, running sentry duty with pre-programmed coordinates or operated by sight via joystick control.
The 28-ft. Intruder The 28-ft. (8.5-m) Intruder is a high speed craft designed and built for offshore use under the most adverse conditions.
Designed as a platform for law enforcement and security operations, this model offers a performance via Baja's deep-V hull design with a 24 degree deadrise; with durable construction and a number of mission defined layouts and options to ensure its operational success in any number of scenarios.
The 28-ft. Intruder offers an ergonomic console/leaning post layout to ensure a smooth ride and minimize crew fatigue, and a utilitarian layout and use of commercial duty hardware and components that require minimal maintenance." The Intruder is the perfect complement to our line, and we are pleased to have Baja join our tem," Caplan said.
The Whaler line of products for military applications — which are understandably built to withstand the harshest of conditions — are also built with primary systems, such as electrical, propulsion and fuel, standardized to simplify logistics, repair and training requirements.
The boats are available for both brown and blue water applications, and some are built for maximum speed in deployment, fitting aboard C-130s or slung under choppers.
Circle 74 on Reader Service Card www. mariti mereportei nfo.com
Other stories from April 2002 issue
- U.S., Spain Team To Develop New Warship page: 4
- Bennis to Lead Maritime, Land Security page: 4
- Halmatic To Supply RIBs For Maritime & Coastguard Agency page: 8
- Germanischer Lloyd Reorganizes Operations page: 11
- Celebrity Cancels Summit And Infinity Sailings page: 11
- Kvaerner And Aker Maritime Join Forces page: 12
- Royal Caribbean And Celebrity Announce Key Appointments page: 13
- Key Port Security Measure Passed page: 16
- Boston Whaler Unveils "Robot" Security Boat page: 18
- Protection Zones In Place For USS Roosevelt's Return page: 19
- DOT Outlines Smart Card Concept For Transportation Workers page: 20
- I MO Calls for Unity on Bulk Carrier Safety page: 22
- OECD Working Group To Brainstorm on Port Security page: 22
- NWDC: The Ultimate One-Stog Shop page: 24
- Boston Whaler Debuts New Security Products page: 26
- No Substitute for A Strong Navy page: 28
- HSV Gets Marines There Faster page: 33
- Information: The Real Power page: 33
- GE Continues To Set Gas Turbine Tech Pace page: 34
- Vericor Is A Reliable Source of Propulsion Power page: 35
- The Allure of Power page: 36
- Spanish Group Endorses Pentamaran page: 37
- industrial Heritage Is Retained page: 38
- MES Completes the World's Largest Diesel Engine page: 39
- Faster Than A Speeding... page: 40
- The Rolls-Royce Design Solution page: 41
- Jane Tide Makes An Impact page: 41
- Halliburton Brings Viking To GOM page: 42
- ABS Speeds Truss Spar Projects to GOM page: 42
- Bollinger Signs Contract For Supply Boat Trio page: 43
- As Banks Step Down, Equipment Finance Companies Step Up page: 44
- Cummins Inc. And CitiCapital Launch Alliance page: 46
- ACR — On The Road To Safety And Survival Technology page: 48
- New Service Frees Ships From Hostile Situations page: 49
- Positive Outlook for Global Subsea Development, Deepwater Strengthening page: 50
- A World of Controversy page: 64
- INTERTANKO Holds Firm Position o n M a r i t i m e security page: 66
- North Mariner — In A Class of Its Own page: 68
- Volvo Penta Engines In Clean Design Ferry page: 69
- Hernis 400 System Is Safe And Sound page: 69
- The Dash for Gas page: 74
- BP's Discovery Is Re-Named Thunder Horse page: 75
- Crowley Moves ExxonMobil Concrete Island Drilling page: 76
- Dresser-Rand Equips Petrobras FPSO page: 76
- Transas Launches LNG Tanker Simulator page: 76