Renk Offers Literature On RCF Generator Gears
Renk of Augsburg, West Germany, has available new literature on the Renk-Constant-Frequency (RCF) gear unit. The publication states that all shipowners ask for more cost-effective power generation onboard than was formerly possible, and one answer is the Renk- Constant-Frequency gear "RCF System." The RCF System features a differential epicyclic gear and a Renk Controller. An epicyclic gear unit with hydrostatic or electric superposition enables the generation of economic current onboard by the large diesel engine of the main propulsion plant.
The literature mentions that the RCF System constitutes a design solution that offers definite economical advantages, especially in plants incorporating low-speed diesel engines and fixed-pitch propellers.
However, the RCF System is also used with controllable-pitch propellers and in medium-speed diesel engine propulsion systems.
With the aid of the RCF System, the economy of the low-speed marine diesel engine is extended to include power generation onboard.
Installation variants of the RCF System are listed, with diagrams, such as parallel, vertical, rectangular, Z-arrangement as shaftmounted generator, U-arrangement as shaft-mounted generator, and special solutions. The mode of functioning of the RCF System and the design of the system are also discussed and illustrated with drawings, diagrams, and charts. Advantages of the RCF System are discussed thoroughly, and the two variants of the Renk-RCF gear unit are detailed along with diagrams.
For a copy of the literature and further information, Circle 17 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from November 15, 1984 issue
- USS Iowa (BB-61) page: 4
- Western Gear Relocates Corporate Headquarters To South Milwaukee page: 5
- McLean Urges American Shipping Community To Remain Competitive page: 6
- C. Plath And Racal Marine Controls Sign Cooperation Agreement page: 7
- Sandusky Offers Brochure On Centrifugal Castings page: 7
- Braden Winch Marketing New Planetary Hoist page: 8
- Killian Named VP Of H.O. Penn Power Div. page: 8
- Watterworth Appointed Vice President-Operations For General Steamship page: 8
- B&W And Flight Safety Form New Joint Venture Training Company page: 10
- Hoch Promoted At Comsat TeleSystems page: 10
- WABCO Forms Worldwide Parts And Service Network page: 10
- Rothermel Named Sales Vice President For Comsat TeleSystems page: 11
- Bay Shipbuilding Awarded $l 80-Million Contract To Build Three Containerships For Sea-Land page: 11
- U.S. NAVY SHIP OVERHAUL MARKET First Update — Changes As Of October 1984 page: 12
- Sperry Introduces New 340-mm Radar, New Autopilot, And 'Marinized' PC page: 30
- Twin Matson Container Barges Christened At McDermott Shipyard page: 32
- Renk Offers Reference List Of Marine Gear Units Used In Naval Vessels page: 32
- Renk Offers Literature On RCF Generator Gears page: 33
- Alexander Industries Named Agent For Clow/Greenberg page: 33
- Kidde Offers Free Brochure On Total Fire Protection page: 33
- Mctgnavox Introduces Civil Global Positioning System page: 36
- IMODCO Awarded Contract By Esso Suez For Mooring Terminal Offshore Egypt page: 36
- Eastern Marine Signs Contract For Passenger/Auto Ferry page: 37
- New Krupp Atlas ARPA Gets British DoT Type Approval page: 43
- Dyvi Heavy Lift Vessel Busy Transporting Semisubmersibles page: 47
- RFD Survival Liferaft Line Gains Davit-Launch Approval page: 47