Fincantieri Delivers 1,900-Passenger Superliner Crown Princess To P&O
P&O Plans To Build Second Sister Ship The Monfalcone shipyard of Fincantieri- Cantieri Navali Italiani SpA recently delivered the 792-cabin luxury cruise ship Crown Princess to her owner, British P&O (Peninsular & Orient Steam Navigation Company).
The Crown Princess is the first cruise ship built by Fincantieri since 1964, when it delivered the 29,000- ton Eugenio C. to Costa Shipping company.
During the delivery ceremony, Sir Jeffrey Sterling, P&O president, announced his company's intention to order a second sister ship from Fincantieri.
The Crown Princess along with her sister Regal Princess were originally ordered by Sitmar Cruises through its Italian company Astramar.
P&O acquired Sitmar along with Astramar in 1988 as part of a $210-million deal.
With a gross tonnage of 70,000, the Crown Princess has an overall length of 803 feet, maximum molded breadth of about 106 feet, design draft of 25.7 feet and deadweight of 5,400 tons. She will have a service speed of 19.5 knots Fincantieri collaborated with Italian naval architect Renzo Piano of Studio Piano on the design of the vessel in order to provide the Crown Princess with a unique exterior design.
For the ship's silhouette, Studio Piano took inspiration from the dolphin, with particular emphasis on the profile of the "head," which constitutes a large front dome over the Belvedere Bar/Casino.
The transferring of such a design in a construction phase raised extreme difficulties. Because the dome and the upper deck structure were manufactured entirely of light alloy, while the superstructure is made of steel, suitable protection and welding methods had to be developed in order to ensure a proper connection.
The final positioning phase of the 250-ton-plus dome (60 meters long by 30 meters wide) was particularly delicate.
Another innovative feature of the Crown Princess is her propulsion plant. Designed for worldwide cruising, the vessel will be powered by a highly advanced diesel-electric plant. There will be four 6.6KV, 60- Hz main alternators driven through flexible couplings by four MAN B&W eight-cylinder, in-line L58/64 four-stroke, medium-speed engines, with a maximum continuous rating of 9,720 kw at 400 rpm. These alternators will supply power through transformers to the two 12,000-kw, three-phase synchronous-type propulsion motors, each directly driving a fixed-pitch Lips propeller via shafting. In addition to supplying 6,600/450 volt, 60 Hz electrical power to the propulsion motors, this same power is fed to the motor-driven thrusters and air conditioning compressors, while other motors are generally powered by 440 volts, 60 HZ AC. Other electrical equipment is served by 440/220/115 and 24 volt DC circuits.
The construction of the 14-deck Crown Princess involved the formation of a new work organization inside Fincantieri in order to speed coordination and manage construction of the ship. The ship cost about $275 million, 15 percent of which went to the actual construction of the vessel and the other 85 percent towards completing the machinery, furnishings, etc. The work involved over 150 companies and about 10,000 workers, constituting a wide range of suppliers.
According to company officials, Fincantieri plans to capture as much as 25 percent of the world cruise ship construction market.
Fincantieri has concentrated its cruise ship construction at two yards—the Monfalcone yard and a shipyard located at Marghera.
The Regal Princess, sister of the Crown Princess, is expected to be delivered by the Monfalcone yard in April 1991. The yard is then expected to begin construction of the first of three cruise ships for Holland America Line.
The Marghera yard of Fincantieri, located near Venice, has two 55,000-ton cruise ships on order for Italian cruise line Costa Shipping.
For a free color brochure detailing the shipbuilding capabilities of Fincantieri, Circle 93 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from September 1990 issue
- Aeroflex Isolator Offers Shock Protection For Sensitive Equipment page: 6
- Hitachi Zosen Completes VLCC Sea Prince' page: 6
- Service Engineering Completes Purchase Of Continental Maritime page: 7
- Aluminum Boats Delivers Sleek 140-Foot Dinner Yacht page: 8
- Ferry Simulation Available For Shiphandling Training At MarineSafety/CAORF page: 9
- MagneTek Defense Systems Offers Quality Power-Conversion Products For Today's Navies page: 10
- Eastern Shipyards Delivers Fish Processor 'Northern Victor' Following Complex Conversion page: 11
- Robertson Multipurpose Pilot Handles Complex Vessel Control Problems, Upgrades Vessel Performance page: 11
- Hardware Specialty Appoints Berit Ships Division Manager page: 12
- Sperry Marine Introduces New Stand-Alone ARPA page: 14
- Orders Grow For MAN B&W Diesel's 'Mini-Bore' S26MC Engine page: 14
- Bromination Systems From Everpure Provide Reliable At-Sea Water Treatment page: 15
- New HF Cradle System Offers Safer, More Cost-Effective Material Handling At BIW page: 16
- FANA To Build Temporary Shelters For Iranian Earthquake Victims page: 17
- PHOENIX WORLD CITY: Billion-Dollar Ship Project Takes Shape At Avondale page: 18
- New Committee Supports Use Of U.S. Products In World City Project page: 22
- Southwest Marine Awarded Cruise Ship Conversion Contract Worth $75 Million page: 23
- New Coast Guard Rescue Vessel Built By Textron Marine Successfully Completes First Test page: 23
- MTU To Unveil New Generation Engine, Series 595, At SMM '90 page: 24
- 12-Page Tank Coating File Helps To Make The Right Choice Of Sigma Product page: 24
- SMM 90: THE HAMBURG SHOW page: 26
- Moss Point Marine Delivers Detroit Diesel-Powered Fire Boat For Use In Honolulu Harbor page: 30
- Sulzer Forms Diesel Joint Venture With Italian And German Shipyards page: 30
- Gladding-Hearn Adds Fiberglass Hull To Line Of Deep-V Steel And Aluminum Pilot Boats page: 31
- NWH Nimonic Valves Successfully Cope With Extreme Situtations And Improve Valve Lifetime page: 31
- Lapeyre Brochure Details Features And Applications Of Alternating Tread Stairs page: 33
- New High-Performance Turbocharger Offered By ABB Turbo Systems page: 34
- Status Report On U.S. Navy Ship Maintenance And Repair page: 37
- THE PROPULSION SYSTEM: HEART OF TODAY'S NAVY VESSEL page: 39
- House Committee Releases FY 91 Defense Bill Markup page: 47
- NAVY MARKETING MEETING page: 48
- TANO Awarded Contract For USCG's Prototype Heritage Class Patrol Boat page: 48
- 14th Aegis Guided Missile Cruiser Built At Ingalls Christened 'Hue City' page: 48
- SPD Looks To Expand Product Lines To Adapt To Changing Defense Market page: 49
- Willard Marine Anticipates Quick SOLAS Approval For 18- And 22-Foot RIBs page: 51
- SEACO/Elliot Introduces New Line Of Reversible Life Rafts/Platforms page: 52
- 240-Ton Tugboat Raising Made 'Light Duty' With Slingmax Twin-Path Slings page: 55
- Fincantieri Delivers 135,000-DWT Bulker To Italian Owner page: 56
- BoatLIFE To Supply Deck Compounds For Cruise Ship Project page: 57
- ASNE SYMPOSIUM 1990 page: 58
- Saab Marine To Equip Environmental Tankers —Literature Available page: 61
- Anschutz 'Nauto Control' Product Line Fulfills Navigator Demands page: 62
- Crowley Maritime Names Rockwell Smith Manager, Oil Transportation page: 63
- Load-Dispersing System From Uni-Mat Used In Transport Operation page: 63
- Aeroquip Introduces Stainless Steel Marine Fittings page: 65
- Mid-Coast Marine Delivers Combination Crabber, Packer page: 66
- Dorman Diesels' 'Sea King' Engine Range In Demand For Fishing Propulsion Market page: 67
- Inorganic Coatings Offers Brochure On IC 531, Zinc Silicate Technology page: 67
- Du Pont 'Kevlar' Mooring Ropes Perform Like Steel, Handle Better Than Nylon page: 68
- New Literature Describes Broco Underwater Cutting And Welding Systems page: 68
- New Fairplay Book Details 1990 World Shipping Statistics page: 69
- L&C Associates Installs Dehumidification System Aboard S.S. Beaver State page: 70
- Mitsubishi Launches Daihatsu-Powered Expedition Cruise Ship page: 70
- Unusual Voith-Schneider Propulsion System Adopted For New Dutch Ferry page: 71
- Robertson Marine Named Agents For Jason Firefighting Equipment page: 72
- Rumsey Joins Pen Coal As VP Of Transportation page: 72
- Biobor JF Helps Solve Microbial Fuel Problems —Literature Available page: 72
- Schottel Pump-Jet Displays Outstanding Maneuverability During Recent Demonstrations page: 73
- Fincantieri Delivers 1,900-Passenger Superliner Crown Princess To P&O page: 74
- Standard Refrigeration Offers Rugged Marine Service Condensers page: 75
- Avondale Awards Washington Aluminum $1.5 Million In Contracts page: 76
- ARN Delivers First Of Eight Soviet Cargo Ships page: 76
- Brittany Orders Cross-Channel Ferries From Masa-Yards page: 77
- Hydro Brochure Highlights Latest Garbage Treatment Systems For Cruise Ships page: 78