Eastern Shipyards Delivers Fish Processor 'Northern Victor' Following Complex Conversion
Eastern Shipyards, Inc., Panama City, Fla., recently delivered the Northern Victor, a huge U.S. owned and U.S. flagged fish processing vessel to an Alaska-based fishing group. The 379-foot former drill ship, the largest vessel ever worked on by the yard, underwent a complex conversion in a 10-month project.
The Northern Victor is 379 feet 6 inches long, with a beam of 70 feet and a depth of 28 feet 10 inches.
There are accommodations for 130 personnel aboard.
Classed by ABS, "Fishing/Fish Factory, +A1, +AMS, Unrestricted," this sizable new processor is equipped to receive up to 350 metric tons of fish per day, and can store approximately 1,800 mt of frozen product in its refrigerated cargo hold. An off-loading elevator delivers product to the upper deck, which is equipped with a 30-toncapacity cargo crane and two telescoping knuckleboom deck cranes.
The large processing space aboard the Northern Victor is equipped with Baader heading, filleting, skinning and mincing machines.
Fish receiving and transfer pumps are by Ryan Engineering, with conveyors, tables, and bins by Flohr Metal Fabricators.
Supporting the processing activities are 16 RSW holding tanks. Refrigeration for both the RSW sys- tem and product freezing/storage is by Kvaerner Kulde. In addition to cod and pollack table products, the Northern Victor will also produce fish meal in a plant largely equipped by Atlas Stord.
Diesel-electric propulsion for the processor is provided by three EMD 16-645 diesel engines, each fitted with an Electric Products 1,500-kw generator that provides both shipboard and propulsive power. Four 625-hp electric motors drive the ship's single propeller. Auxiliary power is provided by the main engine generators as well. The vessel is also equipped with two 400-hp electric motor-driven bowthrusters to aid in maneuvering.
Eastern Shipyards employed advanced modular fabrication techniques during the construction and conversion of the Northern Victor.
This type of high-quality fabrication, according to the yard, ensures the ship's owners of a vessel which will be as dependable and maintenance- free as possible.
Eastern Shipyards is engaged in the design and construction of all types of steel and aluminum vessels, utilizing its advanced modular fabrication techniques. For free literature fully detailing the yards capabilities, Circle 9 1 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from September 1990 issue
- Aeroflex Isolator Offers Shock Protection For Sensitive Equipment page: 6
- Hitachi Zosen Completes VLCC Sea Prince' page: 6
- Service Engineering Completes Purchase Of Continental Maritime page: 7
- Aluminum Boats Delivers Sleek 140-Foot Dinner Yacht page: 8
- Ferry Simulation Available For Shiphandling Training At MarineSafety/CAORF page: 9
- MagneTek Defense Systems Offers Quality Power-Conversion Products For Today's Navies page: 10
- Eastern Shipyards Delivers Fish Processor 'Northern Victor' Following Complex Conversion page: 11
- Robertson Multipurpose Pilot Handles Complex Vessel Control Problems, Upgrades Vessel Performance page: 11
- Hardware Specialty Appoints Berit Ships Division Manager page: 12
- Sperry Marine Introduces New Stand-Alone ARPA page: 14
- Orders Grow For MAN B&W Diesel's 'Mini-Bore' S26MC Engine page: 14
- Bromination Systems From Everpure Provide Reliable At-Sea Water Treatment page: 15
- New HF Cradle System Offers Safer, More Cost-Effective Material Handling At BIW page: 16
- FANA To Build Temporary Shelters For Iranian Earthquake Victims page: 17
- PHOENIX WORLD CITY: Billion-Dollar Ship Project Takes Shape At Avondale page: 18
- New Committee Supports Use Of U.S. Products In World City Project page: 22
- Southwest Marine Awarded Cruise Ship Conversion Contract Worth $75 Million page: 23
- New Coast Guard Rescue Vessel Built By Textron Marine Successfully Completes First Test page: 23
- MTU To Unveil New Generation Engine, Series 595, At SMM '90 page: 24
- 12-Page Tank Coating File Helps To Make The Right Choice Of Sigma Product page: 24
- SMM 90: THE HAMBURG SHOW page: 26
- Moss Point Marine Delivers Detroit Diesel-Powered Fire Boat For Use In Honolulu Harbor page: 30
- Sulzer Forms Diesel Joint Venture With Italian And German Shipyards page: 30
- Gladding-Hearn Adds Fiberglass Hull To Line Of Deep-V Steel And Aluminum Pilot Boats page: 31
- NWH Nimonic Valves Successfully Cope With Extreme Situtations And Improve Valve Lifetime page: 31
- Lapeyre Brochure Details Features And Applications Of Alternating Tread Stairs page: 33
- New High-Performance Turbocharger Offered By ABB Turbo Systems page: 34
- Status Report On U.S. Navy Ship Maintenance And Repair page: 37
- THE PROPULSION SYSTEM: HEART OF TODAY'S NAVY VESSEL page: 39
- House Committee Releases FY 91 Defense Bill Markup page: 47
- NAVY MARKETING MEETING page: 48
- TANO Awarded Contract For USCG's Prototype Heritage Class Patrol Boat page: 48
- 14th Aegis Guided Missile Cruiser Built At Ingalls Christened 'Hue City' page: 48
- SPD Looks To Expand Product Lines To Adapt To Changing Defense Market page: 49
- Willard Marine Anticipates Quick SOLAS Approval For 18- And 22-Foot RIBs page: 51
- SEACO/Elliot Introduces New Line Of Reversible Life Rafts/Platforms page: 52
- 240-Ton Tugboat Raising Made 'Light Duty' With Slingmax Twin-Path Slings page: 55
- Fincantieri Delivers 135,000-DWT Bulker To Italian Owner page: 56
- BoatLIFE To Supply Deck Compounds For Cruise Ship Project page: 57
- ASNE SYMPOSIUM 1990 page: 58
- Saab Marine To Equip Environmental Tankers —Literature Available page: 61
- Anschutz 'Nauto Control' Product Line Fulfills Navigator Demands page: 62
- Crowley Maritime Names Rockwell Smith Manager, Oil Transportation page: 63
- Load-Dispersing System From Uni-Mat Used In Transport Operation page: 63
- Aeroquip Introduces Stainless Steel Marine Fittings page: 65
- Mid-Coast Marine Delivers Combination Crabber, Packer page: 66
- Dorman Diesels' 'Sea King' Engine Range In Demand For Fishing Propulsion Market page: 67
- Inorganic Coatings Offers Brochure On IC 531, Zinc Silicate Technology page: 67
- Du Pont 'Kevlar' Mooring Ropes Perform Like Steel, Handle Better Than Nylon page: 68
- New Literature Describes Broco Underwater Cutting And Welding Systems page: 68
- New Fairplay Book Details 1990 World Shipping Statistics page: 69
- L&C Associates Installs Dehumidification System Aboard S.S. Beaver State page: 70
- Mitsubishi Launches Daihatsu-Powered Expedition Cruise Ship page: 70
- Unusual Voith-Schneider Propulsion System Adopted For New Dutch Ferry page: 71
- Robertson Marine Named Agents For Jason Firefighting Equipment page: 72
- Rumsey Joins Pen Coal As VP Of Transportation page: 72
- Biobor JF Helps Solve Microbial Fuel Problems —Literature Available page: 72
- Schottel Pump-Jet Displays Outstanding Maneuverability During Recent Demonstrations page: 73
- Fincantieri Delivers 1,900-Passenger Superliner Crown Princess To P&O page: 74
- Standard Refrigeration Offers Rugged Marine Service Condensers page: 75
- Avondale Awards Washington Aluminum $1.5 Million In Contracts page: 76
- ARN Delivers First Of Eight Soviet Cargo Ships page: 76
- Brittany Orders Cross-Channel Ferries From Masa-Yards page: 77
- Hydro Brochure Highlights Latest Garbage Treatment Systems For Cruise Ships page: 78