Broughton Rig Commissioned At Bethlehem's Beaumont Yard
Broughton Offshore Company of Houston and Bethlehem Steel Corporation's Beaumont, Texas, shipyard recently commissioned a 100-foot water depth, mobile offshore drilling unit. The rig was christened the Broughton II by its sponsor, Mrs. W.J. Wooten, wife of the president of Texas Gas E x p l o r a t i o n Corporation, Houston. This rig is the second of two similar units to be delivered by Bethlehem to this offshore drilling company.
The mat-supported jackup consists of a platform measuring 143 feet by 100 feet supported by three 6 - f o o t - d i a m e t e r columns fixed to a large mat that is 180 feet by 140 feet. It features a heavy-duty cantilevered substructure that offers the capability of positioning its drill floor over existing offshore production platforms in order to drill development wells or to rework existing wells. The rig will operate in waters from 10 to 100 feet deep and has equipment rated for drilling wells to 30,000 feet. It is capable of withstanding forces resulting from 100-knot winds and 43-foot seas.
On location, the rig will have a total variable load capacity of three million pounds and will handle hook-plus-setback loads of one million pounds on wells as far as 35 feet aft of the platform deck.
It will have a maximum cantilever reach of 45 feet with a hook/setback load c a p a c i t y of 750,000 pounds at the rig centerline.
The Broughton II will contain onboard, air-conditioned living accommodations f o r 49 persons, complete with sleeping quarters, galley, recreation room, laundry, and rest rooms. It was designed and built to comply with U.S.
Coast Guard and American Bureau of Shipping standards for construction of mobile offshore drilling units.
Other stories from April 15, 1981 issue
- United States Cruises Acquires Title To SS 'United States' page: 4
- Improved Controllability Topic At Chesapeake Section Meeting page: 5
- 1981 RTCM ASSEMBLY page: 6
- ASNE Day 1981 Scheduled For April 30-May 1 In Washington page: 8
- Long Beach Terminal Orders Two Additional Transtainer Cranes page: 9
- Gulf Fleet Marine Will Add 19 New Vessels At Total Cost Of $50 Million page: 11
- Twin EMD Diesels Power Newest Turecamo Tug Built By Matton page: 12
- New Cruise Line Features Yacht-Like Luxury Ships page: 12
- Levingston Launches Jackup Drilling Rig For Dixilyn-Field page: 14
- Hampton Roads SNAME Hears Paper On Shipboard Piping page: 14
- Halter Delivers Tug/Supply Boat To D.F. Levy Marine page: 15
- Ship Structure Committee Offers Three Free Technical Reports page: 16
- New Drydock Doubles Capacity At Newport News Shipbuilding page: 16
- Fuel Utilization Seminar And Exposition Scheduled For Baltimore Sept. 1-4 page: 17
- Enclosed Lifeboats Serve As Escape Craft For Offshore Oil Platforms page: 17
- IHI Delivers Suction Dredge And Tug To Mexican Government page: 18
- Los Angeles SNAME Discusses Liquid Level Gauging By Radar page: 18
- American President Lines To Test Feasibility Of 45-Foot Cargo Containers page: 19
- New Supply/Fire-Fighting Vessel Delivered To Gulf Fleet Marine page: 20
- NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATIONS EQUIPMENT A Review page: 22
- GM-Powered Towboat 'Trotter' Delivered By Hudson Shipbuilders page: 46
- Marinette Launches Another Berthing Barge For U.S. Navy page: 46
- Mare Island Naval Shipyard Elects New NCAA Officers page: 46
- Hellenic Lines To Convert Four Cargo Ships To Container Vessels page: 48
- Standard 35,000-dwt Bulk Carrier Developed By Japan's Nippon Kokan page: 48
- Choctaw Asks Title XI For Rig Reconstruction To Cost $86 Million page: 48
- VPA Draws Plans For 25-Million-Ton Coal Exporting Facility page: 51
- ASNE Delaware Valley Chapter Hears Report On Delaware River page: 51
- Holland-America Selects Sulzer Diesel Engines For Its Two Cruise Ships page: 51
- Promet Private Launches Jackup Drilling Rig For Sedco page: 52
- SNAME New York Section Honors William J. Dormari page: 52
- Marathon LeTourneau, C-E And Sea Tank Form New Company page: 53
- Broughton Rig Commissioned At Bethlehem's Beaumont Yard page: 54
- Mangone Swiftships Delivers Pocket Tanker To Sun Transport page: 54
- Long Beach-Los Angeles ASNE Elects New Officers page: 54
- New Catalog Describes Coppus Engineering's Turbine Generator Sets page: 55
- Big Car Carrier 'Glorious Ace' Completed By Hitachi Zosen page: 56
- HUDSHIP Delivers Twin Supply Vessels To Gray Mackenzie page: 56
- Lykes President W.J. Amoss Receives American Legion Merchant Marine Award page: 70
- IME Eastern U.S.A. Branch Hears Paper On Fuel Treatment page: 70