Halter Delivers Tug/Supply Boat To D.F. Levy Marine
Halter Marine, Inc. has delivered the Summer Sun (shown above), a tug/supply boat, to D.F.
Levy Marine Limited I, Morgan City, La. She is the second of six vessels to be built at Halter's Moss Point, Miss., division for the Morgan City operator. A sister vessel, the Spring Rain, was delivered recently, while the April Showers, Spring Mist, September Morn, and Winter Snow will follow this summer. The two new vessels are now serving the offshore oil and gas industry in the Gulf of Mexico.
The Summer Sun is 180 feet in length with a 40-foot beam and 14-foot depth. She is powered by two GM Electro-Motive Division 12-567 BC diesel engines developing 1,260 horsepower each at 810 rpm. Falk LST reduction gears with a ratio of 2.98:1 turn the two stainless-steel, 90-inchdiameter four-bladed propellers.
Engine controls were provided by Westinghouse and a Bird-Johnson 300-hp bow thruster driven by a GM Detroit Diesel 8V71 engine improves maneuverability and station keeping.
The Summer Sun can carry 4,000 cubic feet of dry bulk mud and 1,660 barrels of liquid mud.
She has a cargo capacity of 525 long tons and has 3,177 square feet of cargo space on her aft deck, which is fitted with an HBL anchor windlass.
Two Delco 99-kw generators powered by GM Detroit Diesel 8V71 engines p r o v i d e e l e c t r ic service, while two Quincy D325 compressors supply air service.
Ballast, bilge, and fuel transfer pumps were provided by Aurora.
The Summer Sun is American Bureau of Shipping classed + A-l, Full Ocean Towing, "E", AMS, and is U.S. Coast Guard Subchapter I and U.S. Public Health approved.
Other stories from April 15, 1981 issue
- United States Cruises Acquires Title To SS 'United States' page: 4
- Improved Controllability Topic At Chesapeake Section Meeting page: 5
- 1981 RTCM ASSEMBLY page: 6
- ASNE Day 1981 Scheduled For April 30-May 1 In Washington page: 8
- Long Beach Terminal Orders Two Additional Transtainer Cranes page: 9
- Gulf Fleet Marine Will Add 19 New Vessels At Total Cost Of $50 Million page: 11
- Twin EMD Diesels Power Newest Turecamo Tug Built By Matton page: 12
- New Cruise Line Features Yacht-Like Luxury Ships page: 12
- Levingston Launches Jackup Drilling Rig For Dixilyn-Field page: 14
- Hampton Roads SNAME Hears Paper On Shipboard Piping page: 14
- Halter Delivers Tug/Supply Boat To D.F. Levy Marine page: 15
- Ship Structure Committee Offers Three Free Technical Reports page: 16
- New Drydock Doubles Capacity At Newport News Shipbuilding page: 16
- Fuel Utilization Seminar And Exposition Scheduled For Baltimore Sept. 1-4 page: 17
- Enclosed Lifeboats Serve As Escape Craft For Offshore Oil Platforms page: 17
- IHI Delivers Suction Dredge And Tug To Mexican Government page: 18
- Los Angeles SNAME Discusses Liquid Level Gauging By Radar page: 18
- American President Lines To Test Feasibility Of 45-Foot Cargo Containers page: 19
- New Supply/Fire-Fighting Vessel Delivered To Gulf Fleet Marine page: 20
- NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATIONS EQUIPMENT A Review page: 22
- GM-Powered Towboat 'Trotter' Delivered By Hudson Shipbuilders page: 46
- Marinette Launches Another Berthing Barge For U.S. Navy page: 46
- Mare Island Naval Shipyard Elects New NCAA Officers page: 46
- Hellenic Lines To Convert Four Cargo Ships To Container Vessels page: 48
- Standard 35,000-dwt Bulk Carrier Developed By Japan's Nippon Kokan page: 48
- Choctaw Asks Title XI For Rig Reconstruction To Cost $86 Million page: 48
- VPA Draws Plans For 25-Million-Ton Coal Exporting Facility page: 51
- ASNE Delaware Valley Chapter Hears Report On Delaware River page: 51
- Holland-America Selects Sulzer Diesel Engines For Its Two Cruise Ships page: 51
- Promet Private Launches Jackup Drilling Rig For Sedco page: 52
- SNAME New York Section Honors William J. Dormari page: 52
- Marathon LeTourneau, C-E And Sea Tank Form New Company page: 53
- Broughton Rig Commissioned At Bethlehem's Beaumont Yard page: 54
- Mangone Swiftships Delivers Pocket Tanker To Sun Transport page: 54
- Long Beach-Los Angeles ASNE Elects New Officers page: 54
- New Catalog Describes Coppus Engineering's Turbine Generator Sets page: 55
- Big Car Carrier 'Glorious Ace' Completed By Hitachi Zosen page: 56
- HUDSHIP Delivers Twin Supply Vessels To Gray Mackenzie page: 56
- Lykes President W.J. Amoss Receives American Legion Merchant Marine Award page: 70
- IME Eastern U.S.A. Branch Hears Paper On Fuel Treatment page: 70