Mangone Swiftships Delivers Pocket Tanker To Sun Transport
Mangone Swiftships, Inc. of Houston recently delivered the 245-foot Northern Sun (shown above) to Sun Transport, Inc., a subsidiary of Sun Company, Inc. Classed + A 1 Oil Carrier + AMS by the American Bureau of Shipping, the minitanker has a cargo capacity of about 22,000 barrels of Grade B petroleum products.
The Northern Sun is now in service at U.S. East Coast ports for Sun Transport from her home port in Delaware. The ship has an overall length of 245 feet 6 inches, beam of 45 feet, and depth of 19 feet 3 inches (74 by 13.5 by 5.8 meters), with a draft of 14 feet 6 inches (4.4 meters). Main propulsion is provided by twin GM Electro-Motive Diesel 8-645 E7 engines developing a total of 1,900 bhp. She has a service speed of about 12 knots and accommodations for eight crew members.
Cargo is carried in 10 tanks arranged in three segregated sections.
Three diesel-driven deepwell pumps, each rated 2,100 gpm at 125 psi, handle cargo unloading.
Electronics aboard include Sperry gyrocompass system, Sperry autopilot, Raytheon Fathometer, two radar units, automatic direction finder, two VHF radio sets, and an SSB radio. The ship is also equipped with dual 125- kw, diesel-driven generators and a 35-kw standby unit.
Certificated by the U.S. Coast Guard, the Northern Sun combines oceangoing capabilities with the size and maneuverability to navigate inland waterways. The special-purpose vessel is among the first of its type in U.S.-flag service.
Other stories from April 15, 1981 issue
- United States Cruises Acquires Title To SS 'United States' page: 4
- Improved Controllability Topic At Chesapeake Section Meeting page: 5
- 1981 RTCM ASSEMBLY page: 6
- ASNE Day 1981 Scheduled For April 30-May 1 In Washington page: 8
- Long Beach Terminal Orders Two Additional Transtainer Cranes page: 9
- Gulf Fleet Marine Will Add 19 New Vessels At Total Cost Of $50 Million page: 11
- Twin EMD Diesels Power Newest Turecamo Tug Built By Matton page: 12
- New Cruise Line Features Yacht-Like Luxury Ships page: 12
- Levingston Launches Jackup Drilling Rig For Dixilyn-Field page: 14
- Hampton Roads SNAME Hears Paper On Shipboard Piping page: 14
- Halter Delivers Tug/Supply Boat To D.F. Levy Marine page: 15
- Ship Structure Committee Offers Three Free Technical Reports page: 16
- New Drydock Doubles Capacity At Newport News Shipbuilding page: 16
- Fuel Utilization Seminar And Exposition Scheduled For Baltimore Sept. 1-4 page: 17
- Enclosed Lifeboats Serve As Escape Craft For Offshore Oil Platforms page: 17
- IHI Delivers Suction Dredge And Tug To Mexican Government page: 18
- Los Angeles SNAME Discusses Liquid Level Gauging By Radar page: 18
- American President Lines To Test Feasibility Of 45-Foot Cargo Containers page: 19
- New Supply/Fire-Fighting Vessel Delivered To Gulf Fleet Marine page: 20
- NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATIONS EQUIPMENT A Review page: 22
- GM-Powered Towboat 'Trotter' Delivered By Hudson Shipbuilders page: 46
- Marinette Launches Another Berthing Barge For U.S. Navy page: 46
- Mare Island Naval Shipyard Elects New NCAA Officers page: 46
- Hellenic Lines To Convert Four Cargo Ships To Container Vessels page: 48
- Standard 35,000-dwt Bulk Carrier Developed By Japan's Nippon Kokan page: 48
- Choctaw Asks Title XI For Rig Reconstruction To Cost $86 Million page: 48
- VPA Draws Plans For 25-Million-Ton Coal Exporting Facility page: 51
- ASNE Delaware Valley Chapter Hears Report On Delaware River page: 51
- Holland-America Selects Sulzer Diesel Engines For Its Two Cruise Ships page: 51
- Promet Private Launches Jackup Drilling Rig For Sedco page: 52
- SNAME New York Section Honors William J. Dormari page: 52
- Marathon LeTourneau, C-E And Sea Tank Form New Company page: 53
- Broughton Rig Commissioned At Bethlehem's Beaumont Yard page: 54
- Mangone Swiftships Delivers Pocket Tanker To Sun Transport page: 54
- Long Beach-Los Angeles ASNE Elects New Officers page: 54
- New Catalog Describes Coppus Engineering's Turbine Generator Sets page: 55
- Big Car Carrier 'Glorious Ace' Completed By Hitachi Zosen page: 56
- HUDSHIP Delivers Twin Supply Vessels To Gray Mackenzie page: 56
- Lykes President W.J. Amoss Receives American Legion Merchant Marine Award page: 70
- IME Eastern U.S.A. Branch Hears Paper On Fuel Treatment page: 70