Icebreaking Supply Vessel M/V Miscaroo Delivered By Vancouver Shipyards
Vancouver Shipyards Co. Ltd.
has delivered the M/V Miscaroo to its owner, BeauDril Ltd., a subsidiary of Gulf Canada Resources Inc.
Vancouver Shipyards reports it is one of the most powerful supply vessels in the world and the first icebreaking supply vessel to be built in Canada to Canadian Coast Guard Arctic Class 4 regulations.
The M/V Miscaroo is the second of two 14,900 BHP icebreaking/anchor- handling supply vessels built for operation in the Arctic by BeauDril. Designed by Robert Allan Ltd. the M/V Miscaroo will be part of Gulf Canada Resources Inc.
drilling operation in the Beaufort Sea, and is designed to operate in conditions of — 50°C and will break level ice up to 1.2M thick at a continuous speed of three knots.
Propulsion machinery consists of a geared diesel-CPP combination.
Four main Wartsila Vasa 8R32 diesels are rated 3,725 bhp each at 750 rpm. The engines in pairs drive Lips controllable pitch propellers, each 3,750 mm diameter, through Lohmann & Stolterfoht twin input-single output reduction gearboxes.
The M/V Miscaroo incorporates several unique features to enhance performance in ice. Among these are a hull form incorporating a forefoot wedge designed to deflect ice from the path of the vessel, and large bossings over the propeller nozzles and rudders to protect them from ice.
Maneuverability is enhanced by electrically driven thrusters fore and aft. The forward thruster is a 1,200-hp Omnithruster and the aft thruster is an 800-hp KaMeWa controllable-pitch propeller thruster.
The Omnithruster has been modified to incorporate an ice hull lubrication system, ejecting an air water mixture along the forward half length of the vessel.
Other major equipment onboard includes a Burrard Iron Works quadruple drum anchor-handling/ towing winch of 150-ton line pull capacity, two Hydralift deck cranes and Gearmatic tugger winches.
Miscaroo has been designed and equipped so that each of the 22 crew members has a private room.
Amenities include large lounges, recreational spaces and a sauna.
Detailed attention to vibration and noise isolation has resulted in noise levels less than 63 dB throughout the accommodation while under full power.
The 79.25m by 17.2m vessel has a molded depth of 9.7m, and a design draft of 7.5m. The vessel has a capacity of 1,250 tons of fuel oil; 1,100 tons of ballast water; 150 tons of potable water; max. deck cargo of 1,400 tons; and a deck cargo area of 450 m2.
Navigation and communication equipment includes radar by Decca, gyrocompasses by Sperry, Wagner autopilot, Honeywell navigation echo sounder, Magnavox satellite/ omega navigator, JMC automatic direction finder, Marconi SSB radios, Sperry doppler log, Alden Weatherfax and Simrad and Marconi watch receivers.
Other stories from October 15, 1983 issue
- Jeffboat Building Three Title XI Approved Cruise Vessels Worth $28-Million page: 4
- Centrico Forms New Mineral Oil Group Headed By Lohmeyer page: 5
- National Steel Receives $13-Million Order To Overhaul The U.S.S. Cayuga page: 7
- E U R O P O R T ' 83 page: 8
- Marine Coating Directory Is Offered By Farboil page: 19
- Radm. Meyer Receives New Assignment page: 20
- B&W Diesel Acquired By American M.A.N. page: 21
- Emergency Medical Course Offered By Marine Safety page: 21
- Icebreaking Supply Vessel M/V Miscaroo Delivered By Vancouver Shipyards page: 22
- Apelco Relocates To Tampa, Names Vourloumis New Marketing Manager page: 23
- Hydranautics Shiplift Commissioned At Hyundai page: 23
- High-Speed Supermaran Ferry Marine Hawk Enters Service page: 24
- NATO FRIGATES Current Situation And Future Design Trends page: 26
- Moss Point Marine Delivers 'Nicor Power' To Nicor Marine page: 40
- Marathon Oilfield Service Offers Color Brochure On Rigs And Resources page: 41
- Bath Iron Appoints Four New Directors page: 41
- Burrard Yarrows Delivers Icebreaker/Utility Vessels To Gulf Canada Resources page: 42
- NKK To Build Mobile Drilling Island For Beaufort Sea Project page: 42
- Tenneco In Joint Venture To Operate Its Own Service Boats In Gulf page: 43
- Twin City Shipyard Delivers Split Hull Barges To Panama page: 49
- Wartsila AB Delivers LPG/Ammonia Tanker To Maraven In Venezuela page: 49
- Daewoo Employs Unique Floating Drydock And Ship Transfer System page: 49
- 380-Foot Drillship To Be Auctioned In Singapore page: 54
- General Dynamics Building Cargo Transfer Platform Barge With National Jacking System page: 54