Twin City Shipyard Delivers Split Hull Barges To Panama

Two split hull hopper barges were recently delivered to the Panama Canal Commission by Twin City Shipyard, Inc., St. Paul, Minn.

The two ruggedly constructed dump barges were specially designed by Twin City Shipyard for the Panama Canal Commission to handle extremely large and dense blasted rock up to 10 feet in diameter having a loaded specific gravity of 2.26.

Special features include hopper sheathing over the steel plate sloping sides of 3-inch white oak planking and 1-inch steel reinforced rubber. Double course hopper seals are of special rubber moldings developed by TCS engineers. TCS utilized its patented hull locking device along with TCS's improved hull actuating system. The critical alignment of the two hull halves was maintained by a carefully controlled welding sequence during construction.

Two machinery rooms are provided below deck, one housing a diesel generator set and switch gear and the other containing the hydraulic power unit for the two opening and closing rams. Each machinery space has an independent fixed C02 fire extinguishing system.

Two bilge pumps are piped into recessed hydrants for deck washdown. The opening and closing of the hull can be totally controlled at a deck mounted console or from a hand held radio controlled station from a distance of up to V4 mile. Slow-speed and high-speed hull opening and closing functions are provided.

The dump barges are designed and built to ABS classification and U.S.C.G. certification for full ocean service.

Maritime Reporter Magazine, page 49,  Oct 15, 1983 California

Read Twin City Shipyard Delivers Split Hull Barges To Panama in Pdf, Flash or Html5 edition of October 15, 1983 Maritime Reporter

Other stories from October 15, 1983 issue

Content

Maritime Reporter

First published in 1881 Maritime Reporter is the world's largest audited circulation publication serving the global maritime industry.