IZAR Sestao Launches 11,300-cu. m. Dredger
The Sestao Shipyard has launched the newbuilding number 324, a suction dredger with a capacity of 11,300 cu. m.
Known as Filippo Brunelleschi, the vessel will be delivered next September and will go to work in Southeast Asia. This dredger is the first of a series of two, the second one will be launched in April.
These, as well as the previous ships Juan Sebastian de Elcano and Kaishuu, of 16,000 cu. m., will be operated by the same Belgian shipowner, Jan de Nul.
Filippo Brunelleschi and its twin ship are smaller than their predecessors, but are able to dredge to a major depth and are better manageable.
First of a twin vessels contract signed with the Belgium dredger operator. Jan de Nul N.V., Filippo Brunelleschi is a trailing suction hopper dredger with a 11,300 cu. m. hopper capacity, designed and built to perform a variety of functions.
The dredger is equipped with one suction pipe of a 1,200 mm internal diameter, dimensioned for dredging at a depth of 32.5 m (adjustable to 52 and 71 m) under the waterline with the hopper empty, and with a 50 degree or 55 degree, respectively maximum angles between the suction pipe and the baseline.
A draghead of a 1,200 mm bore, with an adjustable visor and a swell compensator, is fitted to the end of the suction arm. The dredger is powered by two MAN B&W diesel engines, type 12V32/40, of an 5,760 kW power output at 750 rpm, burning heavy fuel of a max.
viscosity of 390 est at 50°C.
SB main engine, driving: a Wartsila controllable pitch propeller via a flexible coupling, a Jahnel Kestermann reduction gearbox with clutch coupling; a Nihjuis jet pumpset from the forward end of the engine via reduction gearbox with two outgoing speeds. Between engine and gearbox a flexible coupling, between gearbox and pumpset a tooth coupling are fitted Circle 26 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from April 2003 issue
- Doherty takes the Helm at Maritrans page: 8
- Electronic Milestone for Two-Stroke Champ page: 10
- Investment in Design page: 14
- New Era of the Double-Hull Bulker page: 14
- IZAR Sestao Launches 11,300-cu. m. Dredger page: 16
- Advance Notices of Arrival page: 19
- Government Update page: 20
- LCS Program Team Announced page: 23
- There's Something About Mary page: 24
- A Love of the Sea Takes Dreams to Reality page: 29
- Marlink Extends Radisson Seven Seas Contract page: 32
- CF ' 0 3 Spotlights Industry Challenges page: 32
- Azipull Technology Debuts on Offshore Vessels page: 33
- Keppel To Build $105M Jack-Up Bigfoot for ENSCO page: 34
- World Offshore Drilling Activity: A 5-Year Outlook page: 36
- Ulstein Delivers 23,500-hp Normand Master page: 40
- Offshore-Inland Provides the Fix page: 42
- Rolls-Royce Debuts New UT Designs page: 44
- DPS: Expanding Options for Many Operators page: 45
- Bollinger Delivers For K-Sea Transportation page: 47
- All the Men in the Sea page: 47
- VT Halmatic Takes Charge page: 49
- VT To Unveil Shipyard Technology Investment page: 51
- Speeding to Safety page: 52
- Scotland Sees Opportunity, Innovation in the North Sea page: 54
- ISPS Model Security Training Courses Update page: 57
- Committees, Associations, and Societies page: 61
- World Maritime Tech Exhibit Set For San Francisco page: 63
- SeaArk Delivers Patrol Boat to NYPD page: 64
- Camarc, Kvichak Team On Pilot Boat page: 65