HUDSHIP Delivers Twin Supply Vessels To Gray Mackenzie
Hudship Shipbuilders, Inc. (HUDSHIP) of Pascagoula, Miss., recently delivered its third and fourth supply vessels, the Graytrack (shown above) and Graytraverse, to Gray Mackenzie Company, Ltd., Marine Division located in Bahrain. The design is HUDSHIP's standard 120-foot utility vessels with some modifications to suit the owner's particular requirements. The fo'c'sle house arrangement has been redesigned to accommodate 10 crewmen in five cabins. The upper house has been extended to accommodate charterer's personnel in two 2-man, one 4-man and one 1-man cabins.
The afterdeck of each vessel has a National Marine 12.5-ton crane, with 100-foot boom, mounted at centerline to service the entire cargo deck. To each side of the crane are Hydradyne hydraulic winches, giving the vessel a 4-point mooring capability.
Graytrack and Graytraverse are both powered by twin GM Detroit Diesel Allison 16V92NA engines, each rated 600 bhp at 1,800 rpm, with Twin Disc 520 reduction gears. On sea trials the vessels exceeded 10 knots in a loaded condition and logged almost 13 knots lightly loaded. The auxiliary power is provided by two 99-kw KATO generators powered by Detroit Diesel 6V92 engines.
This is said to be the first application for the 6V92 engines as generator power plants. Engines are monitored by a 21 point Marine Electrical Design monitoring system.
The pilothouse was arranged for maximum all-around visibility. She houses an assortment of electronic equipment, which includes one Decca 914C marine radar, one Sailor SSB receiver model R-105, one Sailor SSB transceiver model T-124, one Sailor model RT 144AC VHF transceiver, one Datamarine 2650 depth indicator, and one Sperry SR 130 gyrocompass with repeater.
Both the Graytrack and Graytraverse are built and tested to ABS standards and are classed A-l All Ocean Service. The Graytest, the fifth vessel HUDSHIP has under construction for Gray Mackenzie, is scheduled for delivery in May 1981.
Other stories from April 15, 1981 issue
- United States Cruises Acquires Title To SS 'United States' page: 4
- Improved Controllability Topic At Chesapeake Section Meeting page: 5
- 1981 RTCM ASSEMBLY page: 6
- ASNE Day 1981 Scheduled For April 30-May 1 In Washington page: 8
- Long Beach Terminal Orders Two Additional Transtainer Cranes page: 9
- Gulf Fleet Marine Will Add 19 New Vessels At Total Cost Of $50 Million page: 11
- Twin EMD Diesels Power Newest Turecamo Tug Built By Matton page: 12
- New Cruise Line Features Yacht-Like Luxury Ships page: 12
- Levingston Launches Jackup Drilling Rig For Dixilyn-Field page: 14
- Hampton Roads SNAME Hears Paper On Shipboard Piping page: 14
- Halter Delivers Tug/Supply Boat To D.F. Levy Marine page: 15
- Ship Structure Committee Offers Three Free Technical Reports page: 16
- New Drydock Doubles Capacity At Newport News Shipbuilding page: 16
- Fuel Utilization Seminar And Exposition Scheduled For Baltimore Sept. 1-4 page: 17
- Enclosed Lifeboats Serve As Escape Craft For Offshore Oil Platforms page: 17
- IHI Delivers Suction Dredge And Tug To Mexican Government page: 18
- Los Angeles SNAME Discusses Liquid Level Gauging By Radar page: 18
- American President Lines To Test Feasibility Of 45-Foot Cargo Containers page: 19
- New Supply/Fire-Fighting Vessel Delivered To Gulf Fleet Marine page: 20
- NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATIONS EQUIPMENT A Review page: 22
- GM-Powered Towboat 'Trotter' Delivered By Hudson Shipbuilders page: 46
- Marinette Launches Another Berthing Barge For U.S. Navy page: 46
- Mare Island Naval Shipyard Elects New NCAA Officers page: 46
- Hellenic Lines To Convert Four Cargo Ships To Container Vessels page: 48
- Standard 35,000-dwt Bulk Carrier Developed By Japan's Nippon Kokan page: 48
- Choctaw Asks Title XI For Rig Reconstruction To Cost $86 Million page: 48
- VPA Draws Plans For 25-Million-Ton Coal Exporting Facility page: 51
- ASNE Delaware Valley Chapter Hears Report On Delaware River page: 51
- Holland-America Selects Sulzer Diesel Engines For Its Two Cruise Ships page: 51
- Promet Private Launches Jackup Drilling Rig For Sedco page: 52
- SNAME New York Section Honors William J. Dormari page: 52
- Marathon LeTourneau, C-E And Sea Tank Form New Company page: 53
- Broughton Rig Commissioned At Bethlehem's Beaumont Yard page: 54
- Mangone Swiftships Delivers Pocket Tanker To Sun Transport page: 54
- Long Beach-Los Angeles ASNE Elects New Officers page: 54
- New Catalog Describes Coppus Engineering's Turbine Generator Sets page: 55
- Big Car Carrier 'Glorious Ace' Completed By Hitachi Zosen page: 56
- HUDSHIP Delivers Twin Supply Vessels To Gray Mackenzie page: 56
- Lykes President W.J. Amoss Receives American Legion Merchant Marine Award page: 70
- IME Eastern U.S.A. Branch Hears Paper On Fuel Treatment page: 70