Ship Structure Committee Offers Three Free Technical Reports
The Ship Structure Committee, an interagency advisory committee dedicated to improving the structure of ships, has recently published three new technical reports that are available free of charge.
SSC-294, "Further Survey of In-Service Performance of Structural Details," is the completion of an earlier SSC Report (SSC- 272) that defined and cataloged structural details from 86 commercial and naval vessels showing their incidence of failure from a variety of causes, including poor design or workmanship, neglect, or heavy weather.
With this substantial data base, meaningful statistical analyses can be conducted to provide information on detail selection, proper fabrication, and proper maintenance and repair.
SSC-295, "Non-destructive Inspection of Longitudinal Stiffener Butt Welds in Commercial Vessels," is the result of an investigation of the quality control requirements for the subject weldments. A survey of past casualty reports and repair shipyard experience indicated that the current accepted procedures are sufficient.
SSC-296, "Review of Fillet Weld Strength Parameters for Shipbuilding," details the fillet weld specification of 12 code-setting bodies and presents a developmental procedure for a rational analysis of required weld strength. Further effort in the analysis of fillet welds is planned.
For copies of these reports, an index of past reports or further information contact Secretary, Ship Structure Committee, U.S.
Coast Guard Headquarters, G-MMT/13, Washington, D.C. 20593.
Other stories from April 15, 1981 issue
- United States Cruises Acquires Title To SS 'United States' page: 4
- Improved Controllability Topic At Chesapeake Section Meeting page: 5
- 1981 RTCM ASSEMBLY page: 6
- ASNE Day 1981 Scheduled For April 30-May 1 In Washington page: 8
- Long Beach Terminal Orders Two Additional Transtainer Cranes page: 9
- Gulf Fleet Marine Will Add 19 New Vessels At Total Cost Of $50 Million page: 11
- Twin EMD Diesels Power Newest Turecamo Tug Built By Matton page: 12
- New Cruise Line Features Yacht-Like Luxury Ships page: 12
- Levingston Launches Jackup Drilling Rig For Dixilyn-Field page: 14
- Hampton Roads SNAME Hears Paper On Shipboard Piping page: 14
- Halter Delivers Tug/Supply Boat To D.F. Levy Marine page: 15
- Ship Structure Committee Offers Three Free Technical Reports page: 16
- New Drydock Doubles Capacity At Newport News Shipbuilding page: 16
- Fuel Utilization Seminar And Exposition Scheduled For Baltimore Sept. 1-4 page: 17
- Enclosed Lifeboats Serve As Escape Craft For Offshore Oil Platforms page: 17
- IHI Delivers Suction Dredge And Tug To Mexican Government page: 18
- Los Angeles SNAME Discusses Liquid Level Gauging By Radar page: 18
- American President Lines To Test Feasibility Of 45-Foot Cargo Containers page: 19
- New Supply/Fire-Fighting Vessel Delivered To Gulf Fleet Marine page: 20
- NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATIONS EQUIPMENT A Review page: 22
- GM-Powered Towboat 'Trotter' Delivered By Hudson Shipbuilders page: 46
- Marinette Launches Another Berthing Barge For U.S. Navy page: 46
- Mare Island Naval Shipyard Elects New NCAA Officers page: 46
- Hellenic Lines To Convert Four Cargo Ships To Container Vessels page: 48
- Standard 35,000-dwt Bulk Carrier Developed By Japan's Nippon Kokan page: 48
- Choctaw Asks Title XI For Rig Reconstruction To Cost $86 Million page: 48
- VPA Draws Plans For 25-Million-Ton Coal Exporting Facility page: 51
- ASNE Delaware Valley Chapter Hears Report On Delaware River page: 51
- Holland-America Selects Sulzer Diesel Engines For Its Two Cruise Ships page: 51
- Promet Private Launches Jackup Drilling Rig For Sedco page: 52
- SNAME New York Section Honors William J. Dormari page: 52
- Marathon LeTourneau, C-E And Sea Tank Form New Company page: 53
- Broughton Rig Commissioned At Bethlehem's Beaumont Yard page: 54
- Mangone Swiftships Delivers Pocket Tanker To Sun Transport page: 54
- Long Beach-Los Angeles ASNE Elects New Officers page: 54
- New Catalog Describes Coppus Engineering's Turbine Generator Sets page: 55
- Big Car Carrier 'Glorious Ace' Completed By Hitachi Zosen page: 56
- HUDSHIP Delivers Twin Supply Vessels To Gray Mackenzie page: 56
- Lykes President W.J. Amoss Receives American Legion Merchant Marine Award page: 70
- IME Eastern U.S.A. Branch Hears Paper On Fuel Treatment page: 70