SNAME New York Section Honors William J. Dormari
A recent meeting of the New York Metropolitan Section of The Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers held at the Whitehall Club in New York City featured a paper titled "Maneuvering Considerations in the Design Ship Spiral," by John C.
Daidola and Garmia Daniel. The paper surveyed the use of available data from published literature in conjunction with accepted analytical approaches as a tool to enable the naval architect to predict maneuverability of a vessel at the design stage.
The authors evaluated the applicability of such information gathering techniques to the basic design effort. An approach to a quantitative measure of maneuverability was discussed in these contexts, with recommendations as to what can be done to enhance a naval architect's ability to predict maneuverability of vessels in the design stage.
William J. Dorman, a 46-year member of the Society, was the honored guest at this meeting.
An active member of SNAME, Mr. Dorman is a past member of Council and past chairman of the Ship Technical Operations Committee and the Applications Committee.
A recipient of the prestigious Vice Admiral E.L. Cochrane Award from the Society, Mr. Dorman's impressive career included work with J.J. Hcinry Company, American Export Lines, Bureau Veritas, and the American Bureau of Shipping.
Other stories from April 15, 1981 issue
- United States Cruises Acquires Title To SS 'United States' page: 4
- Improved Controllability Topic At Chesapeake Section Meeting page: 5
- 1981 RTCM ASSEMBLY page: 6
- ASNE Day 1981 Scheduled For April 30-May 1 In Washington page: 8
- Long Beach Terminal Orders Two Additional Transtainer Cranes page: 9
- Gulf Fleet Marine Will Add 19 New Vessels At Total Cost Of $50 Million page: 11
- Twin EMD Diesels Power Newest Turecamo Tug Built By Matton page: 12
- New Cruise Line Features Yacht-Like Luxury Ships page: 12
- Levingston Launches Jackup Drilling Rig For Dixilyn-Field page: 14
- Hampton Roads SNAME Hears Paper On Shipboard Piping page: 14
- Halter Delivers Tug/Supply Boat To D.F. Levy Marine page: 15
- Ship Structure Committee Offers Three Free Technical Reports page: 16
- New Drydock Doubles Capacity At Newport News Shipbuilding page: 16
- Fuel Utilization Seminar And Exposition Scheduled For Baltimore Sept. 1-4 page: 17
- Enclosed Lifeboats Serve As Escape Craft For Offshore Oil Platforms page: 17
- IHI Delivers Suction Dredge And Tug To Mexican Government page: 18
- Los Angeles SNAME Discusses Liquid Level Gauging By Radar page: 18
- American President Lines To Test Feasibility Of 45-Foot Cargo Containers page: 19
- New Supply/Fire-Fighting Vessel Delivered To Gulf Fleet Marine page: 20
- NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATIONS EQUIPMENT A Review page: 22
- GM-Powered Towboat 'Trotter' Delivered By Hudson Shipbuilders page: 46
- Marinette Launches Another Berthing Barge For U.S. Navy page: 46
- Mare Island Naval Shipyard Elects New NCAA Officers page: 46
- Hellenic Lines To Convert Four Cargo Ships To Container Vessels page: 48
- Standard 35,000-dwt Bulk Carrier Developed By Japan's Nippon Kokan page: 48
- Choctaw Asks Title XI For Rig Reconstruction To Cost $86 Million page: 48
- VPA Draws Plans For 25-Million-Ton Coal Exporting Facility page: 51
- ASNE Delaware Valley Chapter Hears Report On Delaware River page: 51
- Holland-America Selects Sulzer Diesel Engines For Its Two Cruise Ships page: 51
- Promet Private Launches Jackup Drilling Rig For Sedco page: 52
- SNAME New York Section Honors William J. Dormari page: 52
- Marathon LeTourneau, C-E And Sea Tank Form New Company page: 53
- Broughton Rig Commissioned At Bethlehem's Beaumont Yard page: 54
- Mangone Swiftships Delivers Pocket Tanker To Sun Transport page: 54
- Long Beach-Los Angeles ASNE Elects New Officers page: 54
- New Catalog Describes Coppus Engineering's Turbine Generator Sets page: 55
- Big Car Carrier 'Glorious Ace' Completed By Hitachi Zosen page: 56
- HUDSHIP Delivers Twin Supply Vessels To Gray Mackenzie page: 56
- Lykes President W.J. Amoss Receives American Legion Merchant Marine Award page: 70
- IME Eastern U.S.A. Branch Hears Paper On Fuel Treatment page: 70