ASNE Day 1981 Scheduled For April 30-May 1 In Washington
This year's American Society of Naval Engineers ASNE Day meetings will be held on Thursday, April 30 and Friday, May 1 at the Shoreham Hotel in Washington, D.C. The theme of the technical program is "Naval Design and Engineering —- New Dimensions." In addition to the two full days of technical sessions, luncheons will be held on both days, and the 64th Annual Banquet will take place at 2000 on Friday night, with Vice Adm. C. Russell Bryan, USN (ret.), ASNE president, presiding. A reception at 1900 will precede the banquet.
TECHNICAL PROGRAM THURSDAY, APRIL 30 Session No. 1, Regency Ballroom, (Ship Design I). Moderator: Rear Adm. James H. Webber, USN.
0900 The Challenge of Design: Rear Adm. James W. Lisanby, USN.
0945 D e v e l o p m e n t of Requirements : Rear Adm. John T. Parker, USN.
1030 Streamlining the NAVSEA Ship Design Process: Robert J.
S e s s i o n No. 2A, Palladian Room, (Ship Design II). Moderator: Rear Adm. James W. Lisanby, USN.
1430 What It Is Like To Design a Naval Ship in NAVSEA Today: Cdr. Clark Graham, USN.
1515 What It Is Like To Design a Combat System in NAVSEA Today: Capt. T. Michael Shortal, USN.
1600 Ship Design and the Navy L a b o r a t o r y : William M. Ellsworth and Dennis J. Clark.
Session No. 2B, Diplomat Room, (Ship Design Methodology). Moderator: Robert P. Giblon.
1430 E n e r g y C o n s i d e r a t i o ns Study on Naval Ship Fuel Consumption V a r i a t i o n s : John J.
Slager, Carlos A. Tomassoni and William C. Sandberg.
1515 A Guide To Generic Seakeeping P e r f o r m a n c e Assessment: Nathan K. Bales and Daniel S. Ciezlowski.
1600 "Design Budgeting" — A Bold New Ship Acquisition Strategy — Now a Proven Concept.
Paul S. Jarvis, J. David Kazal, Donald B. Campbell Jr. and Maurice W. Haff.
FRIDAY, MAY 1 S e s s i o n No. 3A, Palladian Room, (Combat Systems). Moderator : Rear Adm. Kleber S. Masterson, USN.
0930 The Needs f o r Modern Technology and the Impacts on Combat System Design: Leonard C.
1015 The Unimast Concept — A Major Departure in Shipboard Radar Antenna Installation Philosophy : Roy J. Biondi and Bradford E. Kruger.
1100 The Latest in Ship Weapon Launchers—The Vertical Launching System: Seth B. Moorhead.
Session No. 3B, Diplomat Room, (New C o n c e p t s ) . M o d e r a t o r: Nathan Kobitz.
0930 Combat System Engineering and the Top Level Requirements: Cdr. Charles W. Truxall Jr., USN (ret.).
1015 Surface Ship Conform—-Dimension 2000: Cdr. Michael R.
1100 A Logical Integrated Approach to Naval Ship Design: Lt.
Cdr. Michael R. Reed, USN.
S e s s i o n No. 4A, Palladian Room, (Ship Design III). Moderator: Rear Adm. John D. Beecher, USN.
1430 Machinery Arrangement Design—A Perspective: Michael E. Resner, Stephen H. Klomparens and John P. Lynch.
1515 Detailed Design — FFG-7 Class: Capt. Robert E. Stark, USN (ret.) and Capt. David M.
Stembel Jr., USN.
1600 HANDE — A Computer- Aided Design Approach To Hydrofoil Ships: James H. King and Matthew D. Devine.
Session No. 4B, Diplomat Room, (Energy Conservation). Moderator: Rear Adm. Thomas M. Hopkins, USN.
1430 Energy C o n s e r v a t i o n for Propulsion of Naval Vessels: Dr.
Eugene F. Brady.
1515 The Age of Sail — Is It Over?: Kenneth C. Morisseau.
1600 U.S. Navy Shipboard Energy R&D—An Overview: Dr. C.F.
Advance registration may be made through headquarters: ASNE, Inc., 1012 14th Street, N.W., Suite 807, Washington, D.C.
20005; (202) 737-0757. On-site registration will begin at 1600 on Wednesday, April 29 in the Executive Room of the Shoreham Hotel, and continue at 0800 on Thursday and Friday.
Other stories from April 15, 1981 issue
- United States Cruises Acquires Title To SS 'United States' page: 4
- Improved Controllability Topic At Chesapeake Section Meeting page: 5
- 1981 RTCM ASSEMBLY page: 6
- ASNE Day 1981 Scheduled For April 30-May 1 In Washington page: 8
- Long Beach Terminal Orders Two Additional Transtainer Cranes page: 9
- Gulf Fleet Marine Will Add 19 New Vessels At Total Cost Of $50 Million page: 11
- Twin EMD Diesels Power Newest Turecamo Tug Built By Matton page: 12
- New Cruise Line Features Yacht-Like Luxury Ships page: 12
- Levingston Launches Jackup Drilling Rig For Dixilyn-Field page: 14
- Hampton Roads SNAME Hears Paper On Shipboard Piping page: 14
- Halter Delivers Tug/Supply Boat To D.F. Levy Marine page: 15
- Ship Structure Committee Offers Three Free Technical Reports page: 16
- New Drydock Doubles Capacity At Newport News Shipbuilding page: 16
- Fuel Utilization Seminar And Exposition Scheduled For Baltimore Sept. 1-4 page: 17
- Enclosed Lifeboats Serve As Escape Craft For Offshore Oil Platforms page: 17
- IHI Delivers Suction Dredge And Tug To Mexican Government page: 18
- Los Angeles SNAME Discusses Liquid Level Gauging By Radar page: 18
- American President Lines To Test Feasibility Of 45-Foot Cargo Containers page: 19
- New Supply/Fire-Fighting Vessel Delivered To Gulf Fleet Marine page: 20
- NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATIONS EQUIPMENT A Review page: 22
- GM-Powered Towboat 'Trotter' Delivered By Hudson Shipbuilders page: 46
- Marinette Launches Another Berthing Barge For U.S. Navy page: 46
- Mare Island Naval Shipyard Elects New NCAA Officers page: 46
- Hellenic Lines To Convert Four Cargo Ships To Container Vessels page: 48
- Standard 35,000-dwt Bulk Carrier Developed By Japan's Nippon Kokan page: 48
- Choctaw Asks Title XI For Rig Reconstruction To Cost $86 Million page: 48
- VPA Draws Plans For 25-Million-Ton Coal Exporting Facility page: 51
- ASNE Delaware Valley Chapter Hears Report On Delaware River page: 51
- Holland-America Selects Sulzer Diesel Engines For Its Two Cruise Ships page: 51
- Promet Private Launches Jackup Drilling Rig For Sedco page: 52
- SNAME New York Section Honors William J. Dormari page: 52
- Marathon LeTourneau, C-E And Sea Tank Form New Company page: 53
- Broughton Rig Commissioned At Bethlehem's Beaumont Yard page: 54
- Mangone Swiftships Delivers Pocket Tanker To Sun Transport page: 54
- Long Beach-Los Angeles ASNE Elects New Officers page: 54
- New Catalog Describes Coppus Engineering's Turbine Generator Sets page: 55
- Big Car Carrier 'Glorious Ace' Completed By Hitachi Zosen page: 56
- HUDSHIP Delivers Twin Supply Vessels To Gray Mackenzie page: 56
- Lykes President W.J. Amoss Receives American Legion Merchant Marine Award page: 70
- IME Eastern U.S.A. Branch Hears Paper On Fuel Treatment page: 70