Chiles Offshore Signs Two 9-Month Contracts With Shell
Chiles Offshore has executed two firm nine-month contract extensions with Shell Exploration & Production Company for the use of the ultra-premium jackup dilling rigs the Chiles Magellan and the Chiles Columbus in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico. The Chiles Magellan has worked for Shell since May 2000 on a well-to-well basis and will start its ninemonth contract period at the beginning of August 2001.
Advance Procurement Given For Amphibious Assault Ships The Avondale Alliance, led by Northrop Grumman Avondale, has been awarded $113.2 million for advance procurement of long lead materials for ships five and six in the San Antonio Class LPD 17 Program.
As prime contractor for the LPD 17 Program, Northrop Grumman Avondale leads the Avondale Alliance — a team comprised of General Dynamics' Bath Iron Works, Raytheon Electronic Systems and Intergraph Corporation.
Design work is complete and the first ship in the program is in production.
To date, contracts in excess of $2 billion for four ships have been awarded in the 12-ship program with the eight additional ships planned in the next four to five years. Eight of the ships will be built at Avondale in New Orleans, while four are currently planned for production at Bath Iron Works in Maine, including the fifth ship, which was part of last month's award. Start of fabrication on LPD 18, New Orleans, will begin at Avondale in February 2002; LPD 19, Mesa Verde will commence at Bath Iron Works in July 2001.
Other stories from September 2001 issue
- More Muscle for a Distinctive Breed page: 8
- A Shipboard Gantry Crane History page: 9
- Standards for A New Era page: 10
- Gladding-Hearn Delivers Premiere High Speed Passenger Cat page: 12
- Austal USA Readies 82-ft. Cat For Spring 2 0 0 2 Delivery page: 12
- A&B Industries Delivers Model-Bow Tug To Luhr Bros page: 14
- Morrelli and Melvin Teams Up With Knight And Carver page: 14
- Moran Commissions 10th Z-Drive Tug page: 15
- Sealift Ship To Be Christened Benavidez At Avondale Shipyard page: 15
- Commerce page: 18
- Shipping Industry Launches Ship Recycling Code page: 19
- Strategic Launches Shipping Support Tools page: 19
- Barge Management System Increases Efficiency page: 20
- Chiles Offshore Signs Two 9-Month Contracts With Shell page: 21
- Super Barge Touted For Strengths, Depths page: 24
- After 137 Years—A Legacy Prevails page: 26
- Maritime History page: 28
- Entering the Diesel Engine Age page: 31
- Janet M. McAllister Debuts In N.Y. Harbor page: 32
- C.W. Morse — An Innovative Vessel page: 34
- SCI Dedicates Houston Facility page: 37
- Gdansk Shipyard Leads With Myriad of Conversions/Repairs page: 38
- Hyundai, MAN B&W Are At Top of Engine Power page: 40
- Axial Fans Improve Engine Performance page: 48
- Rolls-Royce Debuts New Thruster Range page: 48
- Custom Thruster Solutions Help Save Time, Money page: 49
- Marine Training Via Simulation: As Real as it Gets page: 50
- KMSS Supplies Unit To Lairdside Maritime Center page: 51
- Litton's ECDIS Products Are N o w Compatible With C-MAP's ECs page: 60