Thien Nam Buys Sonardyne’s Ranger 2
Vietnamese survey company Thien Nam Positioning JSC has recently invested in its first Ranger 2 USBL acoustic positioning system from Sonardyne International Ltd., purchased through the company’s regional office in Singapore. Ranger 2 will be used to track a Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) during the installation of a pipe flowline and a gas export pipeline protection mattress in an oilfield offshore Vietnam.
Ranger 2 is designed as a high performance acoustic position reference system designed for tracking underwater targets and positioning dynamically positioned (DP) vessels. The system uses the Ultra-Short BaseLine (USBL) method to calculate the position of a subsea target, in this case Thien Nam’s ROV, by measuring the range and bearing from a vessel-mounted transceiver to an acoustic transponder mounted on the target. Multiple subsea targets over a wide area and range of water depths can be simultaneously and precisely positioned.
Subsea structure installation requires accurate and precise positioning. Sonardyne Wideband 2 at the core of 6G technology uses ultra-wide bandwidth signals for more precise ranging, providing the necessary accuracy and precision for these projects. For this operation, transponders will be mounted on the mattress so that Ranger 2 can track it as it descends, ensuring that it is laid within permitted ranges for protecting the pipeline.
(As published in the September 2014 edition of Marine Technology Reporter - http://www.marinetechnologynews.com/Magazine)
Other stories from September 2014 issue
- ULSTEIN PX121 for Otto Offshore page: 10
- Triton Submarines’ New Submersible page: 12
- OceanScience Adds Autonomy page: 14
- Island Performer for Deep-Sea Subsea Work page: 16
- Rogue Waves page: 18
- The Blue Economy page: 20
- Innovative Solutions Mark SWE’s Heritage page: 24
- Multi-channel Fiber Optic System Design: Going Big in Small Packages page: 28
- Wave Glider – Ocean Monitoring in Motion page: 36
- Underwater Noise Understood: Clear to Hear page: 46
- Wachs Subsea Answers the Call for Chevron page: 52
- Biofouling Foiled: UV Light Harnessed for Biofouling Control page: 58
- New Subsea Hi-Traq Trencher page: 74
- Kongsberg Upgrades Digital Stills Camera page: 75
- Thien Nam Buys Sonardyne’s Ranger 2 page: 75
- MTR 100: ASV page: 91