COSCO And McMullen Form New Company— COSCO North America
China Ocean Shipping Company (COSCO), the national shipping company of the People's Republic of China, and Dr. John J. McMullen, owner of Norton, Lilly & Co., Inc., announced the formation of COSCO North America, Inc. COSCO North America, which is jointly owned by COSCO and Dr.
McMullen, is acting as general agent for COSCO's activities in North America.
Norton, Lilly & Co., Inc., has been selected as the new company's subagent, providing agency services outside the Port of New York through its coast-to-coast network of offices.
COSCO North America, Inc., based in Secaucus, N.J., began operations last month. The new company is serving as general agent for COSCO's fortnightly containership service between China and the U.S.
East Coast and Gulf Coast, and COSCO's new fortnightly container and RO/RO service between China, Hong Kong and the U.S. West Coast. The company is also providing agency service for COSCO in the Port of N.Y.
All formalities and the signing of documents for the new joint venture were completed in Beijing, China, in October by Chen Zhong Biao, deputy managing director of COSCO; Liu An Lu, senior financial manager of COSCO and chairman of COSCO North America; Dr.
McMullen, chairman of The McMullen Group; Chang Senchang, president of COSCO North America; and John H. Griffith, chairman and president of Norton, Lilly & Co.
China Ocean Shipping Company, which is headquartered in Beijing, operates one of the largest shipping fleets in the world, with over 500 vessels. COSCO provides worldwide liner service in addition to operating bulk, tanker and passenger vessels.
For additional information on the new company, COSCO North America, Circle 316 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from December 1985 issue
- United States Cruises Applies To M a r A d For $150-Million Title XI page: 4
- PA Series Heavy Fuel Diesel Now Available From Fairbanks Morse page: 6
- Six-Page Color Brochure On Energol Lubricants Offered Free By BP Marine page: 6
- Getty Fleet Orders Lips Speed-Adapted Propellers To Increase Efficiency page: 6
- Karl Senner Offers Free Color Brochure On Reintjes Marine Gearboxes page: 6
- OMSA Elects New Officers —Congressman Warns Of California Plan' page: 8
- Birka Line Cruise Ship Launched At Valmet's Helsinki Shipyard page: 8
- Fire Combat, Inc. Offers 10-Page Manual On Fire Suppression Systems page: 9
- Texaco Appoints Quegan General Manager, Marine Department page: 10
- Fernstrom Elected President And CEO Of American Ship Building page: 10
- New Briefcase Computer For Marine Industry From NAV-COM page: 12
- Furuno USA Introduces New Doppler Speed Log And ARPA Line page: 12
- W. Anthony Watt Heads Sales And Marketing Division At Moran Towing page: 14
- Marinette Delivers First Of Ten Torpedo Weapons Retrievers page: 14
- Bassett Named President Of Interocean Management page: 14
- Kockums To Build Ferry With First Coal-Fired Marine Steam Engines In 30 Years page: 16
- COSCO And McMullen Form New Company— COSCO North America page: 17
- Cunard Gives $115-Million Contract To Lloyd Werft To Convert QE2 To Diesel And Alter Accommodations page: 17
- Harnischfeger To Build World's Largest Dipper/Clamshell Dredge page: 18
- Bethlehem Steel Dedicates Its New Sabine Yard In Port Arthur, Texas page: 18
- Totem To Acquire Controlling Interest In Interocean Steamship Corp. page: 20
- OUTSTANDING OCEANGOING SHIPS OF 1985 page: 22
- NOTABLE CONVERSIONS OF 1985 page: 44
- Bender Shipbuilding Wins $4.5 Million In Contracts page: 49
- Construction of 'Theodore Roosevelt' Ahead Of Schedule And Under Budget page: 50
- Magnavox Introduces New Generation SatCom And New GPS/Transit SatNav Receivers page: 51
- GPS/Transit SatNav Receivers page: 52
- Network 90, Integrated Marine Management System For Reduced Costs And Maximized Profits page: 55
- SHIPBOARD COMPUTER SURVEY page: 58
- Ellicott Machine Corporation Announces Personnel Changes page: 68
- Vapor Corporation Announces New Sphere Matrix Technology page: 68
- U.S. NAVY SHIP PROCUREMENT Second Quarterly Update—November 1985 page: 70
- MSI Conducting Tests For Proposed Canadian Ferry With Voith Schneider Propulsion page: 77
- Design Improvements In EMD's 645FB Diesel Provide Higher Horsepower, Better Fuel Economy page: 78
- Perko Presents The 200 Series International Navigation Lights page: 81
- Coast Guard Completes Installation Of Advanced Navigational Aid In N.Y. Harbor page: 85
- Macmeter Offers Metering Protection page: 91
- MARDATA Named North American Agent For Lloyd's Information Services page: 91