NASSCO Delivers 'S/S Coast Range'— Second Of Three Carlsbad Class For Union
The S/S Coast Range (shown above), a 37,500-dwt product carrier built by National Steel and Shipbuilding Company (NASSCO), San Diego, Calif., f o r Union Oil Company of California, was delivered to Union Oil recently in ceremonies at the San Diego shipyard. The ship was received by Glenn O. Burk, president of West Coast Shipping Company, which will operate the Coast Range.
The keel f o r the 658-foot vessel was laid June 2, 1980. The vessel was launched January 10, 1981.
The S / S Coast Range, a Carlsbad Class carrier with a capacity of 300,000 barrels, is capable of transporting 10 different products simultaneously. A cylindrical appendage-type bulbous bow improves vessel speed. A steam turbine engine provides maximum fuel efficiency and conservation.
The ship will carry products f r om Union Oil's refineries in Los Angeles and San Francisco to Alaska, Hawaii and the U.S. West Coast.
The S/S Coast Range is the second of three sister ships to be delivered to Union Oil this year.
NASSCO delivered the S / S Blue Ridge on June 27, 1981 (see MR of September 15, 1981, pg. 8 ) , and the S / S Sierra Madre is scheduled to be delivered in December.
T h e v e s s e l s incorporate the most modern equipment available and will meet the latest safety and e n v i r o n m e n t a l protection standards, including double bottoms, a clean segregated ballast system, an inert gas system, a sewage treatment plant, collision avoidance radar, and a backup steering system.
NASSCO currently has under contract six product carriers, two Navy destroyer tenders and a Navy cable repair ship. The company's backlog of new construction and repair work was approximately $559 million at the end of August. NASSCO has been engaged in marine construction for more than 35 years, and is wholly owned by M o r r i s o n - K n u d s en Company, Inc., Boise, Idaho.
Other stories from November 15, 1981 issue
- Paceco Moves Headquarters To New Gulfport, Miss., Plant page: 9
- Adm. Harold E. Shear Sworn-ln As Maritime Administrator page: 9
- President Reagan And Sponsor Authenticate Keel Of 'Yorktown' At Ingalls page: 10
- Marathon Launches Jackup Penrod 86 At Brownsville Yard page: 10
- Halter Delivers New Offshore Express Supply Boat page: 10
- New Compact Oil Water Separator From Sigma —Literature Available page: 10
- Seward, Alaska To Build Large Shipping Facility page: 11
- Inland Marine Delivers Towboat M/V Mike Schmaeng To Pott Industries page: 12
- Top Executive Changes Announced By Marco page: 13
- $30-Million Order Signed By Hongkong United Dockyards Ltd. page: 14
- Westinghouse Credit, Seafirst Leasing Provide Equity In Four- Towboat, 81-Barge Transaction page: 14
- SACM Publishes Brochure On Marine Diesel Engines —Copies Available page: 16
- Approve Application For $22 Million Title XI For Towboat, 68 Barges page: 16
- Literature Available From Marland On Inverto® Oil/Water Separator page: 16
- Publish New Brochure On End Entry Ball Valves From Zidell Explorations page: 18
- Appoint David Daniels National Sales Manager At M&T Chemicals page: 18
- Study Notes Upsurge In Offshore Rig Orders —U.S. Yards In Lead page: 19
- HUDSHIP Delivers The M/V Charles Haun To Parker Towing Company page: 19
- Chemical Waste Incinerator Ships Discussed At SNAME Chesapeake Section page: 19
- Port Of Portland Appoints European Representative page: 20
- Indonesia To Use Jetfoil In Naval, Commercial Roles page: 20
- Northern Radio Announces New HF/SSB Transceiver- Literature Available page: 21
- Mobile Workover Unit Houtech II Christened At Beth Steel's Beaumont Yard page: 21
- Christen Jackup J. Storm XVII At Bethlehem Steel's Beaumont Yard page: 22
- Mississippi Marine Delivers M/V Redneck—Second Of Three Towboats For Captain Hollinger page: 22
- $11.8-Million Navy Contract Awarded General Ship For Overhaul Of USS Vulcan page: 23
- Ohio River Officials Meet With Representatives Of Finnish Coal Interests page: 25
- Butterworth To Exhibit At Marintec China '81 page: 25
- Form New Repair Company To Service Mexican Gulf -Information Available page: 27
- NASSCO Delivers 'S/S Coast Range'— Second Of Three Carlsbad Class For Union page: 27
- Monark Boat Delivers Oil Recovery Vessel For Use On Lake Maracaibo page: 28
- Moss Point Marine Delivers Two Supply Vessels To Golden Gulf page: 28
- Imperial Oil Planning Semisub Drilling Rig With 6,000-Foot Capability page: 29
- Canadian Survey Shows 400 New Vessels Needed During Next Ten Years page: 34
- Santander Shipyard To Increase Drydock Capacity To 25,000-Dwt page: 34
- M. Rosenblatt Promotes Three To Company Officers page: 36
- Capt. Chao Awarded Medal Of Honor By St. John's University page: 37
- UPSCO Launches Hull Number 001 — A 120-Foot Tug For An ITB page: 38
- SNAME-Hawaii Discusses High-Speed Catamaran Hydrofoils page: 38
- Four New Branch Managers Appointed At M. Rosenblatt page: 53
- Report On Laser Technology Made To ASNE Long-Beach-Greater L.A. Section page: 58