SNAME-Hawaii Discusses High-Speed Catamaran Hydrofoils
The Hawaii Section of The Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers held its first meeting of the 1981-82 season recently at the Cannon Club, on the Lanai, Fort Ruger, under the chairmanship of Dr. Manley St.
A paper entitled "High-Speed Catamaran Hydrofoils" was delivered by Rudy Choy, president of Aikane Corporation, one of Hawaii's largest commercial sailing operations. A member of the SNAME since 1964, he has been i n v o l v e d with catamaran construction and design since 1947.
One of his major designs is the voyaging canoe Hokulea.
Mr. Choy discussed the concept, design, and model testing of a proposed catamaran hydrofoil that was tested at the General Dynamics Convair tank in San Diego, Calif. It achieved a scale speed of 70 knots on the final day of testing, which was the desired goal. This design shows promise and warrants additional research and development.
Other officers elected for the year include: vice chairman, Capt.
Thomas Marnane; secretarytreasurer, John Biddulph; members, Executive Committee, Capt.
Alfred Gallant, James Hollenherg, Brian Trenhaile, and Dr.
Other stories from November 15, 1981 issue
- Paceco Moves Headquarters To New Gulfport, Miss., Plant page: 9
- Adm. Harold E. Shear Sworn-ln As Maritime Administrator page: 9
- President Reagan And Sponsor Authenticate Keel Of 'Yorktown' At Ingalls page: 10
- Marathon Launches Jackup Penrod 86 At Brownsville Yard page: 10
- Halter Delivers New Offshore Express Supply Boat page: 10
- New Compact Oil Water Separator From Sigma —Literature Available page: 10
- Seward, Alaska To Build Large Shipping Facility page: 11
- Inland Marine Delivers Towboat M/V Mike Schmaeng To Pott Industries page: 12
- Top Executive Changes Announced By Marco page: 13
- $30-Million Order Signed By Hongkong United Dockyards Ltd. page: 14
- Westinghouse Credit, Seafirst Leasing Provide Equity In Four- Towboat, 81-Barge Transaction page: 14
- SACM Publishes Brochure On Marine Diesel Engines —Copies Available page: 16
- Approve Application For $22 Million Title XI For Towboat, 68 Barges page: 16
- Literature Available From Marland On Inverto® Oil/Water Separator page: 16
- Publish New Brochure On End Entry Ball Valves From Zidell Explorations page: 18
- Appoint David Daniels National Sales Manager At M&T Chemicals page: 18
- Study Notes Upsurge In Offshore Rig Orders —U.S. Yards In Lead page: 19
- HUDSHIP Delivers The M/V Charles Haun To Parker Towing Company page: 19
- Chemical Waste Incinerator Ships Discussed At SNAME Chesapeake Section page: 19
- Port Of Portland Appoints European Representative page: 20
- Indonesia To Use Jetfoil In Naval, Commercial Roles page: 20
- Northern Radio Announces New HF/SSB Transceiver- Literature Available page: 21
- Mobile Workover Unit Houtech II Christened At Beth Steel's Beaumont Yard page: 21
- Christen Jackup J. Storm XVII At Bethlehem Steel's Beaumont Yard page: 22
- Mississippi Marine Delivers M/V Redneck—Second Of Three Towboats For Captain Hollinger page: 22
- $11.8-Million Navy Contract Awarded General Ship For Overhaul Of USS Vulcan page: 23
- Ohio River Officials Meet With Representatives Of Finnish Coal Interests page: 25
- Butterworth To Exhibit At Marintec China '81 page: 25
- Form New Repair Company To Service Mexican Gulf -Information Available page: 27
- NASSCO Delivers 'S/S Coast Range'— Second Of Three Carlsbad Class For Union page: 27
- Monark Boat Delivers Oil Recovery Vessel For Use On Lake Maracaibo page: 28
- Moss Point Marine Delivers Two Supply Vessels To Golden Gulf page: 28
- Imperial Oil Planning Semisub Drilling Rig With 6,000-Foot Capability page: 29
- Canadian Survey Shows 400 New Vessels Needed During Next Ten Years page: 34
- Santander Shipyard To Increase Drydock Capacity To 25,000-Dwt page: 34
- M. Rosenblatt Promotes Three To Company Officers page: 36
- Capt. Chao Awarded Medal Of Honor By St. John's University page: 37
- UPSCO Launches Hull Number 001 — A 120-Foot Tug For An ITB page: 38
- SNAME-Hawaii Discusses High-Speed Catamaran Hydrofoils page: 38
- Four New Branch Managers Appointed At M. Rosenblatt page: 53
- Report On Laser Technology Made To ASNE Long-Beach-Greater L.A. Section page: 58