Ohio River Officials Meet With Representatives Of Finnish Coal Interests
Executives of The Ohio River Company, Cincinnati, Ohio, the nation's largest barge mover of coal, met recently with 23 Finnish b u s i n e s s m e n at ORCO's headquarters to discuss the shipment of U.S. coal to Finland.
The group, which includes representatives of Finnish electric utility companies and other industries, was brought to Cincinnati by Gates Engineering of Beckley, W. Va. Gates is a consulting firm retained by the Finns to coordinate efforts in securing a U.S. coal t r a d e a g r e e m e n t.
Growth in future U.S. coal production will partially hinge on the industry's success in marketing coal to foreign countries such as Finland.
Earle Faig, Ohio River Company vice president-sales, presented a proposal that includes barging either Appalachian or southern Illinois coal to the Gulf of Mexico via the inland waterway system.
Transporting the coal from the fields to ports serving the Atlantic shipping lanes is a key element in the U.S.-Finland discussions, and Mr. Faig explained that ORCO's proposal provides one of the most cost-effective and dependable methods of transporting coal.
Founded in 1925, The Ohio River Company is one of eight marine- related subsidiaries of the Midland Affiliated Company and is the largest barging company in the U.S. ORCO operates more than 1,500 barges and 74 boats along the inland waterway system.
Other stories from November 15, 1981 issue
- Paceco Moves Headquarters To New Gulfport, Miss., Plant page: 9
- Adm. Harold E. Shear Sworn-ln As Maritime Administrator page: 9
- President Reagan And Sponsor Authenticate Keel Of 'Yorktown' At Ingalls page: 10
- Marathon Launches Jackup Penrod 86 At Brownsville Yard page: 10
- Halter Delivers New Offshore Express Supply Boat page: 10
- New Compact Oil Water Separator From Sigma —Literature Available page: 10
- Seward, Alaska To Build Large Shipping Facility page: 11
- Inland Marine Delivers Towboat M/V Mike Schmaeng To Pott Industries page: 12
- Top Executive Changes Announced By Marco page: 13
- $30-Million Order Signed By Hongkong United Dockyards Ltd. page: 14
- Westinghouse Credit, Seafirst Leasing Provide Equity In Four- Towboat, 81-Barge Transaction page: 14
- SACM Publishes Brochure On Marine Diesel Engines —Copies Available page: 16
- Approve Application For $22 Million Title XI For Towboat, 68 Barges page: 16
- Literature Available From Marland On Inverto® Oil/Water Separator page: 16
- Publish New Brochure On End Entry Ball Valves From Zidell Explorations page: 18
- Appoint David Daniels National Sales Manager At M&T Chemicals page: 18
- Study Notes Upsurge In Offshore Rig Orders —U.S. Yards In Lead page: 19
- HUDSHIP Delivers The M/V Charles Haun To Parker Towing Company page: 19
- Chemical Waste Incinerator Ships Discussed At SNAME Chesapeake Section page: 19
- Port Of Portland Appoints European Representative page: 20
- Indonesia To Use Jetfoil In Naval, Commercial Roles page: 20
- Northern Radio Announces New HF/SSB Transceiver- Literature Available page: 21
- Mobile Workover Unit Houtech II Christened At Beth Steel's Beaumont Yard page: 21
- Christen Jackup J. Storm XVII At Bethlehem Steel's Beaumont Yard page: 22
- Mississippi Marine Delivers M/V Redneck—Second Of Three Towboats For Captain Hollinger page: 22
- $11.8-Million Navy Contract Awarded General Ship For Overhaul Of USS Vulcan page: 23
- Ohio River Officials Meet With Representatives Of Finnish Coal Interests page: 25
- Butterworth To Exhibit At Marintec China '81 page: 25
- Form New Repair Company To Service Mexican Gulf -Information Available page: 27
- NASSCO Delivers 'S/S Coast Range'— Second Of Three Carlsbad Class For Union page: 27
- Monark Boat Delivers Oil Recovery Vessel For Use On Lake Maracaibo page: 28
- Moss Point Marine Delivers Two Supply Vessels To Golden Gulf page: 28
- Imperial Oil Planning Semisub Drilling Rig With 6,000-Foot Capability page: 29
- Canadian Survey Shows 400 New Vessels Needed During Next Ten Years page: 34
- Santander Shipyard To Increase Drydock Capacity To 25,000-Dwt page: 34
- M. Rosenblatt Promotes Three To Company Officers page: 36
- Capt. Chao Awarded Medal Of Honor By St. John's University page: 37
- UPSCO Launches Hull Number 001 — A 120-Foot Tug For An ITB page: 38
- SNAME-Hawaii Discusses High-Speed Catamaran Hydrofoils page: 38
- Four New Branch Managers Appointed At M. Rosenblatt page: 53
- Report On Laser Technology Made To ASNE Long-Beach-Greater L.A. Section page: 58