Skantek Announces SK-401, An OCR Software Technology Breakthrough
—Literature Available After a year of intensive development, Skantek Corporation, Warren, N.J. has announced the SK- 401, the first commercially available optical character recognition (OCR) software to decipher and reproduce hand-lettered characters on engineering drawings.
The first step in the development was to build a "knowledge base" of individual draftsmen's block lettering styles and machine printed characters. The SK-401 software refers to this knowledge base to identify hand lettering styles and common drafting typefaces.
The result was a cross section of more than 60 personal lettering styles. Combined with the two most common block lettering styles, Leroy~ Modern and VarityperB, a knowledge base was assembled that could correlate block machine lettering as well as standard drafting letter styles.
The next step was to speed up the three algorithms at the heart of the OCR software. Skantek engineers integrated the algorithms for locating and converting the text allowing the software to process 2,000 characters in 15 minutes. The result was the SK-401^ OCR package which enables the SK-1010 automatic digitizing scanner to recognize and convert alphanumerics and many other symbols frequently used on engineering drawings.
The SK-401 OCR software classifies characters by assigning a unique code to each character or symbol.
The receiving CAD/CAE system can then immediately recognize and handle the data. This automatic coding of characters by the scanner reduces the editing time required on each scanned drawing file transferred to the CAD/CAE system therefore operator productivity during the drawing conversion process is increased. In addition, the space required within the CAD/CAE system's memory for storage of text can be reduced.
For complete information on the SK-401 from Skantek, Circle 36 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from May 15, 1985 issue
- Scheidt Named Marketing And Sales Vice President For American Steamship page: 5
- Radio-Holland USA, B.V. Automates Coastal Station WLO's Radiotelex Service page: 5
- Terry Announces New GLT Single-Stage Turbine page: 6
- NEW GHH-Constructed Drydock, Mission Bay, For Continental Maritime page: 8
- Free Brochure From Baldt Details Moor-Free™ Rapid Release System page: 8
- Korobov Elected Vice President-Finance For COMSAT TeleSystems— Mutnick Named Controller page: 10
- Tano Receives Additional Coast Guard Contract Valued At $2.7 Million page: 10
- Daewoo Wins $16.5-Million Contract To Build Offshore Vessel For India page: 10
- Exclusive Rep For Danish Firm Introduces Radiotelephone System page: 10
- Weerts Named Senior Program Manager For American Systems page: 11
- ABS Developing New Computer Programs To Aid Ship Designers page: 11
- Smith Appointed Senior Vice President For American Steamship page: 14
- Bohme Named Product Development Manager For Simpson Timber page: 14
- Joseph Joins COMSAT As Executive Vice President page: 14
- Lundberg Reappointed Director General Of INMARSAT page: 16
- Literature Available On Clemco Industries' 'Educt-O-Matic' page: 16
- Hubbard Named To Newly Created Position At American President Lines page: 16
- SNAME Introduces New Quarterly— The Journal Of Ship Production page: 16
- Cambridge Instruments Completes New Plant page: 16
- Navigation & Communications Equipment — A R e v i e w— page: 18
- Elliott White Gill Thrusters Offer Unique Advantages page: 32
- Tompkins To Market BFGoodrich Bearings In Four Eastern States page: 33
- Los Angeles SNAME And ASNE Sections Meet In Joint Session page: 34
- Literature Available On FIRE-PREP® 2012 From Nalco Chemical page: 34
- Skantek Announces SK-401, An OCR Software Technology Breakthrough page: 34
- John Crane Offers Literature On Their Line Of Bellows Seals page: 34
- Flakt Offers 20-Page Brochure On Facilities And Capabilities page: 36
- Clemco Pipe Cleaning Tools Blast-Clean Pipe Interior Without Rotating The Pipe page: 39
- Hitachi Delivers Jackup Rig Built For O N G C Of India page: 39
- PRC Announces Availability Of New Family Of Mercaptan Functional Polymers page: 40
- New Boiler Cleaning Technique Offers Savings For Vessel Owners page: 45
- Gulfport Orders Second Paceco Container Crane page: 45
- Brochure Available On HF-SSB Radio Products From Harris Corporation page: 45
- Halter Marine Awarded $85-Million Navy Contract To Build Six T-AGOS Ships page: 46
- Bailey Joins Selkirk Metalbestos As Staff Engineer For Piping Line page: 46
- Zito Named Vice President- Marketing & Development Of COMSAT Technology page: 46
- No Claims Yet On Cat's Over-The-Counter Parts Availability Guarantee page: 46
- Racal Wins $2.8-Million For Marine Simulators page: 46
- McTighe Offers Brochure On High-Flow & Low-Flow Oil/Water Separators page: 46