Radio-Holland USA, B.V. Automates Coastal Station WLO's Radiotelex Service
Radio-Holland USA, B.V. recently announced that Mobile Marine Radio, Inc., owners/operators of Coastal Station WLO Radio, North America, has awarded Radio-Holland USA, B.V., in Houston, and Thrane & Thrane A/S in Denmark the contract to supply an automatic radiotelex system that will be used by WLO Radio, North America, for its automatic marine telex service.
The system initially includes a minimum of eight simultaneous radio- telex modem channels each equipped with automatic free signal generation and provision for later direct computer interface. The system includes channel processors for automatic forwarding of ship-toshore messages into the international telex network.
The channel processors include features that will later permit direct ship's dialing to domestic/international telex subscribers and automatic rerouting of messages to predetermined subscribers.
The initial phase should be installed mid-1985, and will be prepared for later upgrading with Model TT-1000 communications processors for store-and-forward telex handling in both shore-to-ship and ship-to-shore directions.
WLO Radio pioneered radiotelex at sea 11 years ago and was the first United States coastal station to offer this service. The station was also the first to receive a Selcall number (No. 1090) issued by the FCC for coastal stations in the United States. The station at present is the largest provider of radio-telex communication and now will be the first coastal station in the USA offering completely automatic end-to-end telex-at-sea communications.
Worldwide, WLO Radio, North America, will join Singapore Radio, Scheveningen Radio, Lyngby Radio, and Burnham (Portishead) Radio, all of which are now operational with the Thrane & Thrane automatic channel processor radiotelex system.
For further literature containing full information, Circle 33 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from May 15, 1985 issue
- Scheidt Named Marketing And Sales Vice President For American Steamship page: 5
- Radio-Holland USA, B.V. Automates Coastal Station WLO's Radiotelex Service page: 5
- Terry Announces New GLT Single-Stage Turbine page: 6
- NEW GHH-Constructed Drydock, Mission Bay, For Continental Maritime page: 8
- Free Brochure From Baldt Details Moor-Free™ Rapid Release System page: 8
- Korobov Elected Vice President-Finance For COMSAT TeleSystems— Mutnick Named Controller page: 10
- Tano Receives Additional Coast Guard Contract Valued At $2.7 Million page: 10
- Daewoo Wins $16.5-Million Contract To Build Offshore Vessel For India page: 10
- Exclusive Rep For Danish Firm Introduces Radiotelephone System page: 10
- Weerts Named Senior Program Manager For American Systems page: 11
- ABS Developing New Computer Programs To Aid Ship Designers page: 11
- Smith Appointed Senior Vice President For American Steamship page: 14
- Bohme Named Product Development Manager For Simpson Timber page: 14
- Joseph Joins COMSAT As Executive Vice President page: 14
- Lundberg Reappointed Director General Of INMARSAT page: 16
- Literature Available On Clemco Industries' 'Educt-O-Matic' page: 16
- Hubbard Named To Newly Created Position At American President Lines page: 16
- SNAME Introduces New Quarterly— The Journal Of Ship Production page: 16
- Cambridge Instruments Completes New Plant page: 16
- Navigation & Communications Equipment — A R e v i e w— page: 18
- Elliott White Gill Thrusters Offer Unique Advantages page: 32
- Tompkins To Market BFGoodrich Bearings In Four Eastern States page: 33
- Los Angeles SNAME And ASNE Sections Meet In Joint Session page: 34
- Literature Available On FIRE-PREP® 2012 From Nalco Chemical page: 34
- Skantek Announces SK-401, An OCR Software Technology Breakthrough page: 34
- John Crane Offers Literature On Their Line Of Bellows Seals page: 34
- Flakt Offers 20-Page Brochure On Facilities And Capabilities page: 36
- Clemco Pipe Cleaning Tools Blast-Clean Pipe Interior Without Rotating The Pipe page: 39
- Hitachi Delivers Jackup Rig Built For O N G C Of India page: 39
- PRC Announces Availability Of New Family Of Mercaptan Functional Polymers page: 40
- New Boiler Cleaning Technique Offers Savings For Vessel Owners page: 45
- Gulfport Orders Second Paceco Container Crane page: 45
- Brochure Available On HF-SSB Radio Products From Harris Corporation page: 45
- Halter Marine Awarded $85-Million Navy Contract To Build Six T-AGOS Ships page: 46
- Bailey Joins Selkirk Metalbestos As Staff Engineer For Piping Line page: 46
- Zito Named Vice President- Marketing & Development Of COMSAT Technology page: 46
- No Claims Yet On Cat's Over-The-Counter Parts Availability Guarantee page: 46
- Racal Wins $2.8-Million For Marine Simulators page: 46
- McTighe Offers Brochure On High-Flow & Low-Flow Oil/Water Separators page: 46