Fairbanks Morse Engine Division Unveils New Test Facility
The Fairbanks Morse Engine Division, Beloit, Wis., has announced the completion, testing and operation of its new large engine test facility. This new test facility offers complete engine operation testing for Colt-Pielstick PC4.2 series diesel engines on a state-of-the-art dynamometer system, with capabilities for testing marine or stationary engines from 4,500 to 29,300 bhp.
Mounted in an acoustically insulated, air-conditioned control room is the data-logging/recording and control equipment required for complete engine testing. The dynamometer is capable of loading in excess of 46,000 U.S. horsepower or 35,000 kilowatts. It is mounted on a special support base which provides air-bearing support while being aligned to the engine crankshaft. This system allows the 55-ton dynamometer to be pushed into position by two men.
When an engine is under test, control of test parameters is monitored by way of digital process controllers which regulate water and oil pressures, temperatures and dynamometer load.
Also provided by the system is automatic, instantaneous switchover to "backup" lube oil and fuel oil pumps. The auxiliary equipment in this new facility includes a 7,000- gallon-capacity operating lube oil pump which has a continuous recirculation filtering system, and prewarms the oil prior to engine operation.
This pre-warm system is also used for pre-lubrication of new engines, and is served by a separate 50-hp lube oil pump.
Two 300-hp variable speed pumps provide main engine lubrication circulation.
Variable speed pumps were selected as they supply superior pressure and flow control over a wide range of engine requirements.
Variable speed pumps were also selected for use on the engine's jacket water systems. The lube oil and jacket water systems both provide pressure-test capabilities as well as normal circulation functions.
Starting air supplied by a dedicated compressor is stored in two 100-cubic-foot air tanks at 650 psi.
Also available are numerous alarms and automatic trips which can be programmed to suit special test situations.
With this new test facility, Fairbanks Morse Engine Division offers to its customers complete and verifiable in-house testing of its large diesel engine product line.
For additional information, including free literature, Circle 29 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from September 1986 issue
- Wartsila Becomes Major Shareholder In Wichmann —New Company Formed page: 4
- Kabel And Jepsson Named Vice Presidents For Wartsila Diesel page: 6
- Tideland Signal Offers Free 30-Page Brochure On Aids To Mavigation For Ports And Harbors page: 6
- Lucian Q. Moffitt Offers Paper On New Water Lubricated Rubber Bearing Materials/Applications page: 6
- New Hull Cleaning System Brochure Offered By VEB Kombinat Schiffbau page: 6
- Hull Built By Wdrtsild-Turku Will Be Outfitted By Moss Yard page: 6
- World's Largest Clamshell/Dipper Dredge To Be Delivered This Year To Great Lakes International page: 7
- CDI Marine Names Eason VP, Operations-West page: 8
- Wartsila Wins $122-Million Contract To Build Big Cruise Ship For Kloster page: 8
- Wilson Walton Introduces Improved Version Of Aquamatic Impressed Current Cathodic Protection System page: 8
- Keel Laid At Todd San Pedro Yard For Matsonia's New Midbody Section page: 10
- Pennsylvania Shipbuilding Contracts With Siemens For PTO Generators page: 11
- St. Philip Towing Announces Sale Of Oceangoing Tug And Barge Fleet page: 11
- Blount Delivers Commuter Ferry For High-Speed Hudson Crossings page: 12
- Aquamaster Propulsion Units Installed In Self-Unloading Malaysian Bulker page: 12
- Eastern Marine Delivers Passenger Vehicle Ferry 'Anna C.' To Nelseco Navigation Company page: 14
- COMSAT Marks 10 Years Of Commercial Maritime Satellite Communications page: 14
- Stolt-Nielsen Ship Management Moves To Panama City, Fla. page: 15
- Chevron Offers Free Color Guide To Inland & Coastal Marine Lubricants page: 15
- SMM '86 Ship, Machinery and Marine Technology International Trade Fair page: 16
- Detroit Diesel And Deere Plan Joint Venture To Market Broader Line Of Diesel Engines page: 22
- MonArk Boat Delivers First of Nine Fast Parasail Craft For Air Force page: 22
- Two Separate Divisions Formed From Textron's Bell Aerospace Operation page: 24
- Fairbanks Morse Engine Division Unveils New Test Facility page: 24
- Eggert Appointed Sales & Operations Coordinator For Cleveland Tankers page: 25
- New Color Brochure From A.W. Chesterton Details Process Seals page: 25
- Richfield Marine Agencies Merges As Subsidiary Of QAF Limited Of Brunei page: 25
- Navy Awards Ingalls $221.8 Million For Battleship Modernization page: 26
- New Marine Repair Firm Established page: 28
- Magnavox Names Manager Of Marketing Services page: 28
- U.S. NAVY SHIP PROCUREMENT page: 31
- MAJOR NAVY CONTRACTS page: 37
- Defense Department's First Two-Year Budget Cycle To Begin For FY88 page: 37
- Avondale Christens Replenishment Fleet Oil Building For U.S. Navy page: 42
- Research Ship For NATO Launched At Muggiano Yard of Fincantieri-CNI page: 45
- Sealift Command Plans To Purchase Additional Ships For Ready Reserve Fleet page: 46
- MSC To Procure Up To Six Logistic Support Vessels For U.S. Army page: 46
- ASNE/NAVY SYMPOSIUM AND EXHIBITION 1986 page: 50
- Imperial And Parkway Consolidate Operations page: 53
- Moore McCormack Plans Sale Of Its Two Bulk Shipping Subsidiaries page: 53
- "Financial Times' To Issue Survey On World Ports page: 53
- Westport Yard Delivers Multipurpose Fiberglass Excursion/Fishing Vessel page: 56
- Sperry Joins With Marine Management To Offer Total Computing System page: 57
- Meyer Werft Delivers Fifth Passenger Ship Built For Indonesia page: 57
- Wartsila Diesel Reviews Methods For Re-Engining page: 58
- Todd S h i p y a r d s Board Elects T w o Top E x e c u t i v e s A nd Reports P r o f i t a b l e Quarter page: 59
- N e w Intertanko Publication ' T a n k e r Port Particulars 1986' Is N o w A v a i l a b le page: 59
- GERMAN MARINE INDUSTRY IN THE NORTH AMERICAN MARKET page: 60
- Sperry MCS2B SatCom INMARSAT Type Approved page: 65
- Equipment Engineering Offers Hydraulic Disc Compression Tool page: 69
- LaGrange And Wyne Appointed At Louisiana Dock's Harahan Yard page: 73
- American Hawaii Cruises Names Bennett And Thomason To Senior Management Posts page: 73
- Patti Shipyard Delivers Excursion Vessel 'Mississippi Belle IT page: 74
- No Need To Remove Shaft For Bearing Change With Duramax Demountable Bearings page: 79
- Greater New Orleans Barge Fleeting Association Seminar Set For October 2, 3, And 4 page: 79
- Major Appointments Announced By Versatile Of Canada page: 79
- Unaflex Introduces New Molded Expansion Joints page: 79