Dravo SteelShip Delivers Towboat To Pleasants Power Station
Dravo SteelShip Corporation of Pine Bluff, Ark., has announced delivery of the M/V Pleasants "K" to Pleasants Power Station of Allegheny Power System for operation on the Ohio River at Willow Island, W.Va.
The vessel is a standard Steel- Ship design, 56 feet long by 20 feet wide by 7 feet deep. She is powered by twin Detroit Diesel 12V-71N, keel-cooled marine engines developing 340 bhp each, driving two Coolidge 60-inch-diameter, four-blade, stainless-steel propellers.
The engine room, designed for easy maintenance, is equipped with 4-inch I-beams to facilitate moving of main engines and light plant, and there is a large removable section in the engine room top so that principal machinery can be hoisted from the vessel in a minimum amount of time.
The vessel is fitted with two steering and four flanking rudders.
Equipped with two pumps, one electric motor driven and one constantmain engine driven, the steering and flanking systems are separate, yet the pumps are automatically paralleled for fast steering when desired by the pilot.
The electrical system is powered by a Detroit Diesel 3-71, 30- kw generator, w h i c h p r o d u c es power for all shipboard use. This includes three 10-ton Beebe deck winches, two 14-inch Carlisle & Finch searchlights, four floodlights, and numerous other pieces of equipment.
The heavily framed and braced hull is fabricated of %-inch plate except the after bottom which is %-inch, and the headlog, bow and stern corners which are %-inch.
The hull is divided into five watertight compartments and carries 11,700 gallons of fuel.
D r a v o S t e e l S h i p Corporation currently has two 110-foot spud barges, two 75-foot tugboats, two 60-foot crane pushboats, three 88- foot pushboats, and several other pieces of marine equipment under construction.
Other stories from August 15, 1980 issue
- Red Fox Will Build Jackup Barges At Newly Acquired Yard page: 6
- James Steadman Joins Halter Marine As VP For Special Assignments page: 6
- Simrad Introduces New Trawl Echo Recorder- Literature Available page: 8
- Robert Strasser Joins MacGregor, U.S.A. As Technical Director page: 8
- Bird-Johnson Appoints Richard E. McGinnis A Trustee And Director page: 9
- Halifax Shipyards Gets C$27-Million Order For Three Stern Trawlers page: 9
- Advanced Design Product Tanker Launched At Sun Ship page: 10
- Coast Guard Approves Butterworth Systems Oil/Water Separators page: 10
- New Bulletin Describes Improved Diesel Cylinder Liner Plating Process page: 10
- Army Permit Clears W a y For Deep-Draft Terminal In Galveston page: 12
- Shipyard Finds Safe Product Without Sacrificing Performance page: 12
- Zapata To Acquire Offshore Services Ltd. From Trafalgar House page: 13
- ITO Announces Six Promotions—R.J. Nolan Named Executive VP page: 15
- Technical Report On Sea-Shed Conversions Available From MarAd page: 15
- Ogden Equips Fleet With Satellite Navigators page: 15
- Nav-Com Relocates To Larger Quarters page: 16
- Maumenee, Roy And Snellman Promoted At Alabama Dry Dock page: 18
- Appledore And DnV To Assist In Operation Of Okpo Shipyard page: 18
- Michigan Wheel Announces Formation Of Propulsion Systems Group page: 18
- Marland Has New MSD For Smaller Vessels- Literature Available page: 20
- Waller & Associates To Provide Engineering Services For Ingram page: 20
- San Francisco To Build New Fireboat Designed By Morris Guralnick page: 21
- Halter Delivered 30 Big Commercial Vessels In First Half Of 1980 page: 22
- James Rhodes Appointed Communications Director For Navidyne Corp. page: 22
- B&W Yard Given Danish Gov't Guarantee For Bulk Carrier Construction page: 24
- Transoceanic Designated As U.S. Forwarder For NACAP Project page: 26
- Griff Lee, McDermott VP, Elected To National Academy Of Engineering page: 28
- James J . Murphy Named VP-Marketing For General Dynamics' Marine Group page: 28
- Lucander And Dowhos Form Design Association page: 29
- American Manufacturing Announces Three Sales Appointments page: 32
- Gene Ossi Establishes New Automation Firm- Brochure Available page: 32
- Trikora Lloyd Buys Three Ships At Total Cost Of $45 Million page: 32
- Michael Warren Joins Farboil As National Accounts Manager page: 32
- Dravo SteelShip Delivers Towboat To Pleasants Power Station page: 34
- Dillingham Forms New Subsidiary To Operate In Gulf Coast Area page: 34
- Hydranautics Awarded BP Magnus Field Platform Contract page: 34
- Collins Elected President And General Manager Of Houston Systems Mfg. page: 34
- Multipurpose Cargo Vessel 'Sarita' Delivered By Hitachi page: 34
- David Jackson Appointed Vice President For Sun State Marine page: 37
- New MMC Gauging System Meets IMCO Guidelines- Literature Available page: 37
- Farrell Lines Announces Three New Appointments— Breslin To VP-Controller page: 38
- Gaston Joins Bulkfleet Marine As Manager Of Engineering Services page: 38
- Three New Managers Appointed By CDI Marine Company page: 39
- Hayward Marine Products New Name For Former Mechanical Marine page: 39
- Miles Heads Barber Blue Sea Activities In North America page: 40
- First Vessel Extruded From Covered Hall At Cammell Laird page: 40
- McDermott Division Gets Two Contracts For Irish Sea Gas Projects page: 41
- New Company Plans To Build Two Bulk/Container Ships At Cost Of $156 Million page: 42
- Cameron Refits Drill Rig 'Western Pacesetter II' In Record-Breaking Five Days page: 42
- Carriere Named Manager Of Lykes M&R Division In San Francisco page: 44
- Evergreen Handt Merged Into Evergreen Marine— Hansen Named President page: 44