Armco Restructures Western Steel Division Into Three Groups

Armco recently restructured its Western Steel Division into three operating divisions — Southwestern Steel, Midwestern Steel, and Manufactured Products. The reorganization is a further step in Armco's strategy to establish autonomous business units.

Southwestern Steel Division is headquartered in Houston, and produces carbon and alloy steels in plate, wide-flange, and bar forms primarily for the energy and marine markets. Its Houston producing plant is the largest integrated steel mill on tidewater west of the Mississippi River.

Clifford G. Ward is president of Southwestern Steel Division.

He was with the company's steel sales organization from 1949 to 1977, when he t r a n s f e r r e d to Armco's Houston-based National Supply Company as vice president of administration. In 1978, he returned to Armco's Western Steel Division as vice president of Houston products.

Headquartered in Kansas City, Mo., Midwestern Steel Division produces carbon and alloy steels in the form of bar, rod, and wire, primarily for agricultural mining and light construction uses. Robert L. Purdum is president of Midwestern Steel Division. He served as sales engineer, general manager, and vice president for Armco's Metal Products Division.

In 1978, he was named vice president for Western Steel Division's Kansas City Products organization.

Also with headquarters in Kansas City, Manufactured Products Division has producing plants in Kansas City; Sand Springs, Okla.; Marion, Ohio; and several smaller fabricating plants. Union Wire Rope, a full line wire rope producer, is part of this division.

F.H. (Ted) Cheffy is president of the division. He joined Armco in 1956 and advanced through its steel sales organization to director of products and customer services for Armco's Eastern Steel Division. In 1977, he was named general manager of Union Wire Rope.

Maritime Reporter Magazine, page 10,  Sep 15, 1980 Texas

Read Armco Restructures Western Steel Division Into Three Groups in Pdf, Flash or Html5 edition of September 15, 1980 Maritime Reporter

Other stories from September 15, 1980 issue

Content

Maritime Reporter

First published in 1881 Maritime Reporter is the world's largest audited circulation publication serving the global maritime industry.