Double Naming Ceremony Held At Far East Levingston Shipbuilding
Far East Levingston Shipbuilding Ltd. (FELS) held a double naming ceremony recently for the jackup rig Ekhabi and the crane vessel Ispolin being built for V/O Sudoimport of the U.S.S.R. Mrs.
F.I. Potapenko, wife of the U.S.S.R. Ambassador to Singapore, named the Ispolin, and Mrs.
Loh Wing Siew, wife of the managing director (Ship Repair Division) of Keppel Shipyard and former managing director of FELS, named the Ekhabi.
The Ispolin is a propulsionassisted crane vessel designed by FELS to the owner's requirements.
She has dimensions of 410 by 118 by 26.2 feet, and will be equipped with a 1,200/600-ton (fixed/fully revolving) crane, and will have provisions for future installation of pipe-laying equipment.
She will have accommodations for 120 personnel.
The 1,200-ton crane is the product of Kone and FELS cooperation, with the main boom and steelwork fabricated by the shipyard and machinery components supplied by Kone. All assembly, erecting, and testing is being done by FELS.
With the delivery of the Ekhabi, FELS will have delivered its 16th jackup rig and its 32nd mobile offshore unit. The rig has been built to the MSC CJ-50 design, and has capability to operate in areas with severe environmental conditions.
She is a cantilever, self-elevating unit, and has a triangular hull with three triangular, open-truss legs, each fitted with a spud can at the lower end. The hull is 210.6 feet long, 223 feet wide, and 26.2 feet deep. The total length of each leg with its spud can is 441 feet.
Jacking system is of the rack and pinion type. Accommodations are provided for 80 offshore personnel.
Both of these vessels have been built to comply with the relevant rules and regulations of the U.S.S.R. Register of Shipping and international maritime Conventions.
Other stories from May 15, 1984 issue
- Ritter Joins NMS Shipyard Division As Sales Rep page: 5
- Free Color Brochure Introduces New Stal Refrigeration Plant page: 5
- Valmet Forms Subsidiary In Houston To Serve U.S. Offshore Industry page: 6
- SNAME Philadelphia Section Annual Dinner-Dance Scheduled For June 16 page: 6
- Stewart & Stevenson Inc. Appointed Distributors For M W M Series 500 Engines page: 7
- Kone To Build Multipurpose Double-Boom Crane For Port Of Jacksonville page: 7
- Nickum & Spaulding Announces New Executive Appointments — Philip Spaulding Named Chairman page: 7
- Color Brochure Offered Free From HITCO page: 8
- Newport News Lays Keel For USS Newport News (SSN 750) page: 8
- Marco Seattle Signs Contract To Build All-Steel Workboat page: 10
- Double Naming Ceremony Held At Far East Levingston Shipbuilding page: 10
- Volvo Penta Duoprop Now Available For Workboat Applications page: 11
- Diversified Capabilities Offered By Port Allen Marine Service page: 12
- SNAME San Diego Section Hears Paper On Sheathing Hulls With Copper-Nickel page: 14
- Marine Safe Electronics Offers Free Literature On 'Fail-Safe' Line page: 14
- Prock Appointed Vice President/General Manager For Foss Alaska Line page: 15
- Moss Point Marine Launches First Of Two Utility Boats For Argosy page: 15
- 1984 RTCM ASSEMBLY page: 16
- OTC Begins Study Of HP's Response To Wave Forces page: 19
- Hagglunds Cranes Ordered For Rapid Deployment Force MSC Vessels page: 20
- Navigation & Communications Equipment page: 22
- PIMA Hosts New York Luncheon On Behalf Of British Shipbuilders page: 43
- Peter Goetz Appointed General Manager Of Electro Dynamic page: 43
- First Marathon Super 300 Jackup Now Drilling In Gulf Of Mexico page: 44
- Anixter Bros. Publishes New Buyers Guide Of Products For Business Communications page: 44
- U.S.-Based Repair Service Introduced by Cityvarvet AB page: 45
- Sternwheeler Landing Queen Delivered By Walker Marine Yard page: 46
- J.L. Konopasek Announces New Organization page: 46
- New Non-Asbestos High- Temperature Valve Packing Developed By John Crane — Literature Available page: 49
- Krupp Atlas Elektronic Introduces Four New Advanced Radars page: 49
- Mueller Steam Specialty Introduces Duplex Strainers — Literature Available page: 49
- Bulk Carrier Century Hope Delivered By Mitsui To Hong Kong Owner page: 50
- Saab Control Systems Ordered For Wilhelmsen Product Carriers page: 50
- High-Speed Catamaran Crewboat Delivered By Fjellstrand page: 55