Hagglunds Cranes Ordered For Rapid Deployment Force MSC Vessels
A major commitment to hydraulic deck cranes is among the interesting features of the current program to reinforce the Rapid Deployment Force (RDF) of the U.S. Navy's Military Sealift Command.
All 21 of the RO/RO-LO/LO vessels in the program will be fitted with hydraulic cranes, a total of 99 units, all of Hagglunds manufacture.
The program comprises 13 Maritime Prepositioning Ships (MPS) and eight Fast Logistic Ships (TAKRX), the latter being the 33- knot containerships purchased by the Navy from Sea-Land and now being converted at Avondale Shipyards, National Steel and Shipbuilding, and PennShip. Each of the T-AKRX ships will have one twin 35-ton crane mounting and one twin 50-ton mounting.
Of the MPS ships, three are being converted for Waterman Steamship Corporation by National Steel; five for Maersk Line by Bethelhem Steel's Sparrows Point and Beaumont yards; and five are newbuildings for General Dynamics at its own Quincy shipyard.
The Waterman ships will each have one twin 50-ton crane and one twin 35-ton; the Maersk installations will be one twin 36- ton and two twin 30-ton cranes per ship; and the new General Dynamics ships will each have two twin 39-ton and one single 39-ton cranes per ship.
The Hagglunds cranes feature high-torque, low-speed hydraulic drives of the maker's unique design, with combination facilities enabling the smooth handling of loads up to 100 tons under a single, coordinated control. The requirement to be able to work cargo safely under open-sea conditions was a special feature of these contracts.
Hagglunds' concept of totally enclosed crane machinery permits easy maintenance and service, and insures that the cranes' performance will match the user's requirements in all environments.
Other stories from May 15, 1984 issue
- Ritter Joins NMS Shipyard Division As Sales Rep page: 5
- Free Color Brochure Introduces New Stal Refrigeration Plant page: 5
- Valmet Forms Subsidiary In Houston To Serve U.S. Offshore Industry page: 6
- SNAME Philadelphia Section Annual Dinner-Dance Scheduled For June 16 page: 6
- Stewart & Stevenson Inc. Appointed Distributors For M W M Series 500 Engines page: 7
- Kone To Build Multipurpose Double-Boom Crane For Port Of Jacksonville page: 7
- Nickum & Spaulding Announces New Executive Appointments — Philip Spaulding Named Chairman page: 7
- Color Brochure Offered Free From HITCO page: 8
- Newport News Lays Keel For USS Newport News (SSN 750) page: 8
- Marco Seattle Signs Contract To Build All-Steel Workboat page: 10
- Double Naming Ceremony Held At Far East Levingston Shipbuilding page: 10
- Volvo Penta Duoprop Now Available For Workboat Applications page: 11
- Diversified Capabilities Offered By Port Allen Marine Service page: 12
- SNAME San Diego Section Hears Paper On Sheathing Hulls With Copper-Nickel page: 14
- Marine Safe Electronics Offers Free Literature On 'Fail-Safe' Line page: 14
- Prock Appointed Vice President/General Manager For Foss Alaska Line page: 15
- Moss Point Marine Launches First Of Two Utility Boats For Argosy page: 15
- 1984 RTCM ASSEMBLY page: 16
- OTC Begins Study Of HP's Response To Wave Forces page: 19
- Hagglunds Cranes Ordered For Rapid Deployment Force MSC Vessels page: 20
- Navigation & Communications Equipment page: 22
- PIMA Hosts New York Luncheon On Behalf Of British Shipbuilders page: 43
- Peter Goetz Appointed General Manager Of Electro Dynamic page: 43
- First Marathon Super 300 Jackup Now Drilling In Gulf Of Mexico page: 44
- Anixter Bros. Publishes New Buyers Guide Of Products For Business Communications page: 44
- U.S.-Based Repair Service Introduced by Cityvarvet AB page: 45
- Sternwheeler Landing Queen Delivered By Walker Marine Yard page: 46
- J.L. Konopasek Announces New Organization page: 46
- New Non-Asbestos High- Temperature Valve Packing Developed By John Crane — Literature Available page: 49
- Krupp Atlas Elektronic Introduces Four New Advanced Radars page: 49
- Mueller Steam Specialty Introduces Duplex Strainers — Literature Available page: 49
- Bulk Carrier Century Hope Delivered By Mitsui To Hong Kong Owner page: 50
- Saab Control Systems Ordered For Wilhelmsen Product Carriers page: 50
- High-Speed Catamaran Crewboat Delivered By Fjellstrand page: 55