Todd Awarded $30 Million By Navy To Modify First Aviation Support Vessel
Todd Shipyards Corporation reports that the U.S. Navy has exercised options amounting to $30 million authorizing Todd's Galveston Division to proceed with modification of the first of two vessels into Aviation Logistic Support Ships (T-AVB), and with advanced procurement of major long-lead items for the second vessel. The award follows completion of the $2.8-million detailed engineering and design phase started in May 1984.
The action put 100-150 tradesmen to work within a week, and will later provide jobs for 350-400 skilled personnel until the summer of 1986.
It is expected that the Navy will exercise the remaining $25-million option for modification of the second vessel late in 1985, which will provide a stable work load for another year.
The T-AVB program consists of conversion of two C5-6-78A Seabridge Class RO/RO-containerships into Aviation Logistic Support Ships. The ships have an overall length of 602 feet and a beam of 90 feet.
Other stories from January 15, 1985 issue
- Call For Papers Issued By SNAME New England For Computer Symposium page: 4
- Couch Named President Of Matson Navigation— Wasacz President Of A&B page: 5
- SecNav Lehman Announces Contract Awards Totaling Almost $2 Billion page: 5
- Hyde Names Two New Vice Presidents page: 6
- Another Fast Delaware Pilots Boat Delivered By Gladding-Hearn Yard page: 6
- Hyundai To Build Four Rigs For ODECO At Total Cost Of $260 Million page: 7
- RDI Announces $15-Million Agreement With China For Electronic Shipping Safety Systems page: 7
- Newport News Shipbuilding Delivers Attack Submarine 'Olympia' page: 8
- Fifth Generation Of Family Named To Executive Posts At Hughes Companies page: 8
- Butterworth Announces A New SCAMP Underwater Hull Cleaning Station page: 8
- New Chief Seattle Fireboat Provides High-Speed Response page: 10
- New York Port Engineers' Society Tours MarineSafety Simulators page: 11
- Todd Awarded $30 Million By Navy To Modify First Aviation Support Vessel page: 11
- COMPUTERIZED VESSEL MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS page: 14
- Ingram Purchases Assets Of Ohio Barge Line And Mon-Valley Transportation page: 22
- Marconi Introduces The New Oceanray SAT-COM page: 22
- Bay-Houston Towing Offers 'Port Reference Handbook' For Six Gulf Ports page: 23
- Eisert Named To Head General Electric's New Navy Programs Section page: 26
- Daewoo To Build Tanker For Norwegian Company For $40 Million page: 26
- Tracor Marine Awarded $2.5-Million MSC Contract To Operate Research Ship page: 28
- Navy Awards Bell Aerospace Textron $27.3-Million Contract For New Minesweeper Hunter page: 28
- Gerard M. McAllister 1910-1984 page: 29
- Diesel Engine Manufacturers Continue To Improve The Fuel Efficiency Of Their Engines page: 30
- Sea Data Corporation Introduces Deep Sea Instrumentation Cable page: 46
- Kastalon Offers New Brochure On Polyurethane Crane Bumpers page: 47
- Goodway Offers New Catalog On Tube Cleaning Systems And Pressure Washers page: 47