Bay-Houston Towing Offers 'Port Reference Handbook' For Six Gulf Ports
Bay-Houston Towing Co., with home office in Houston, Texas, has published a new 16-page edition of the popular "Port Reference Handbook" for the Gulf ports of Houston, Galveston, Corpus Christi, Freeport, Texas City, and Port Aransas.
The handbook has long been in demand for its informative, easy-toread maps that show, in addition to the ship channels, the location of docks, berths, terminals, warehouses, fireboat stations, bridges, ferry crossings, shipyards, etc.
The Bay-Houston Towing Co. has been in the water transportation and towing business along the Texas Coast for more than 100 years. The "Port Reference Handbook" traces the history of the company from 1877, when a young man named William Douglas Haden went to work as a cabin boy on the schooner " M e r m a i d . " Captain Haden founded the company, which prospered and expanded over the years.
Today, the Haden family still operates the towing company—Captain W.D. Haden's son, C.R. Haden, and grandson, W.D. Haden II, devote themselves to upholding the tradi- tion of pride and performance in the towing, docking and off-docking ser vices offered by the company, draw ing on the "get-it-done" heritage of Captain W.D. Haden. "Our log books are a history of the Gulf ports," the text states. "If it floats, we've probably pushed it or pulled it." The history of the company is fol- lowed in the publication by a num- bered map of Houston showing, along with other important points of interest, the exact location of the home office of Bay-Houston Towing Company. This is followed by maps of the previously mentioned ports, printed in blue and black on white.
The type is in large letters, and this uncluttered simplicity makes the handy maps easy to follow and extremely useful.
In addition, the booklet contains a Hurricane Map, as well as a table listing the approximate distances between Gulf ports. Houston Ship Channel distances are also included.
A comparison of units of measure is given in the back to facilitate converting volume measure (liquid), weight measure, linear measure (small), and linear measure (large).
For a free copy of the new edition of the "Port Reference Handbook" from Bay-Houston Towing, Circle 92 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from January 15, 1985 issue
- Call For Papers Issued By SNAME New England For Computer Symposium page: 4
- Couch Named President Of Matson Navigation— Wasacz President Of A&B page: 5
- SecNav Lehman Announces Contract Awards Totaling Almost $2 Billion page: 5
- Hyde Names Two New Vice Presidents page: 6
- Another Fast Delaware Pilots Boat Delivered By Gladding-Hearn Yard page: 6
- Hyundai To Build Four Rigs For ODECO At Total Cost Of $260 Million page: 7
- RDI Announces $15-Million Agreement With China For Electronic Shipping Safety Systems page: 7
- Newport News Shipbuilding Delivers Attack Submarine 'Olympia' page: 8
- Fifth Generation Of Family Named To Executive Posts At Hughes Companies page: 8
- Butterworth Announces A New SCAMP Underwater Hull Cleaning Station page: 8
- New Chief Seattle Fireboat Provides High-Speed Response page: 10
- New York Port Engineers' Society Tours MarineSafety Simulators page: 11
- Todd Awarded $30 Million By Navy To Modify First Aviation Support Vessel page: 11
- COMPUTERIZED VESSEL MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS page: 14
- Ingram Purchases Assets Of Ohio Barge Line And Mon-Valley Transportation page: 22
- Marconi Introduces The New Oceanray SAT-COM page: 22
- Bay-Houston Towing Offers 'Port Reference Handbook' For Six Gulf Ports page: 23
- Eisert Named To Head General Electric's New Navy Programs Section page: 26
- Daewoo To Build Tanker For Norwegian Company For $40 Million page: 26
- Tracor Marine Awarded $2.5-Million MSC Contract To Operate Research Ship page: 28
- Navy Awards Bell Aerospace Textron $27.3-Million Contract For New Minesweeper Hunter page: 28
- Gerard M. McAllister 1910-1984 page: 29
- Diesel Engine Manufacturers Continue To Improve The Fuel Efficiency Of Their Engines page: 30
- Sea Data Corporation Introduces Deep Sea Instrumentation Cable page: 46
- Kastalon Offers New Brochure On Polyurethane Crane Bumpers page: 47
- Goodway Offers New Catalog On Tube Cleaning Systems And Pressure Washers page: 47