French Snag LNG Order
In February Gaz de France ordered a 74,000 cu. m. LNG carrier from Chantiers de l'Atlantique, with an option for a second vessel. The French have maintained a strong hold on this hightech, high-value ship type despite the general migration of gas ship orders to the Far East.
In particular. Bureau Veritas helped develop the concepts for the vessels, and developed unique new rules to allow the yard and owners to break new technological frontiers.
The ships have two key innovations.
The traditional steam turbine plant will be replaced by a low-pressure dual fuel diesel electric system, and the cargo gas will be carried in the new GTT CS1 membrane system.
BV developed the safety concept of the low-pressure dual fuel diesel/gas engine, and has issued new rules for such engines. These are unique, and set new standards for this type of machinery plant. BV's consultancy division. Tecnitas, worked with GTT on the complex calculations and modeling needed to develop the cost-effective CS1 containment system. CSI was granted BV concept approval earlier this month.
The dual fuel diesel electric propulsion system is designed to offer advantages.
For one, it is designed as a more compact installation, allowing cargo space to be maximized in the hull. In addition, it is designed to reduce gas consumption compared to the conventional turbine installations.The CSI containment system reportedly combines the best features of the proven Mark III and N096 membrane systems. It offers increased strength, faster fabrication, and a cost reduction of 15 percent compared to existing systems.
Circle 83 on Reader Service Card www.maritimereporterinfo.com
Other stories from March 2002 issue
- Smit Develops High-Powered Wreck Removal Cutting System page: 4
- KMY To Consult on Icebreaker page: 8
- Bollinger To Build Three Boats for Chouest page: 9
- IFS And DNV Join Forces On IT Project page: 12
- Volvo Penta Signs $ 2 . 8M Tug Engine Contract page: 14
- Underwater Bonding Seals the Deal page: 17
- Grand Bahama Shipyard's Drydock Arrives page: 19
- One Cool Customer page: 21
- ReeferShip Ltd. Formed page: 23
- A.R. Larsen To Offer Turnkey Interior Services page: 23
- The Era of The Electronic Engine Is Here page: 24
- Rolls-Royce Package Approach Wins Order page: 25
- Innovation in the Engine Space page: 27
- Landmark LNG Carrier Launched by IZAR page: 28
- BY backs S&T Ecomax Tanker Design page: 31
- Maritrans Continues Double Hull Program page: 32
- French Snag LNG Order page: 32
- LR: Hearing is Believing page: 32
- Antifouling Paint Helps USCG Sink Maintenance Costs page: 36
- NSRP Projects Show Impressive Results page: 38
- Derecktor Wins AMHS Fast Ferry Deal page: 41
- Gas Turbines Continue Making Commercial Inroads page: 44
- Fleet F77 Extends Inmarsat's Offering s page: 46
- Spain: Finding Strength in Specialization page: 51