LR: Hearing is Believing
Lloyd's Register has developed jointly an acoustic emission monitor providing a unique approach to crack detection and monitoring.
When cracks in a structure grow, they produce ultrasonic stress waves, known as acoustic emissions (AE). Detection technology, based on AE, has been know for many years, but to date has not gained widespread industry acceptance.
Recent technological advances, however, coupled with constant equipment evolution, helped to ensure that a level of maturity has now been reached where it can be used reliably for structural assessment and monitoring purposes, particularly in the context of propogating fatigue cracks. LR, in association with Airbus and Ultra Electronics Ltd., Ocean Systems, developed a new generation AE-based equipment.
Known as BALRUE, it is touted as a novel AE monitoring system, designed with the specific objectives of first locating, and then determining the level of activity associated with fatigue cracks.
The system is flexible, allowing for continuous or intermittent monitoring depending on the conditions.
Circle 2 on Reader Service Card www.maritimereporlerinfo.com
Other stories from March 2002 issue
- Smit Develops High-Powered Wreck Removal Cutting System page: 4
- KMY To Consult on Icebreaker page: 8
- Bollinger To Build Three Boats for Chouest page: 9
- IFS And DNV Join Forces On IT Project page: 12
- Volvo Penta Signs $ 2 . 8M Tug Engine Contract page: 14
- Underwater Bonding Seals the Deal page: 17
- Grand Bahama Shipyard's Drydock Arrives page: 19
- One Cool Customer page: 21
- ReeferShip Ltd. Formed page: 23
- A.R. Larsen To Offer Turnkey Interior Services page: 23
- The Era of The Electronic Engine Is Here page: 24
- Rolls-Royce Package Approach Wins Order page: 25
- Innovation in the Engine Space page: 27
- Landmark LNG Carrier Launched by IZAR page: 28
- BY backs S&T Ecomax Tanker Design page: 31
- Maritrans Continues Double Hull Program page: 32
- French Snag LNG Order page: 32
- LR: Hearing is Believing page: 32
- Antifouling Paint Helps USCG Sink Maintenance Costs page: 36
- NSRP Projects Show Impressive Results page: 38
- Derecktor Wins AMHS Fast Ferry Deal page: 41
- Gas Turbines Continue Making Commercial Inroads page: 44
- Fleet F77 Extends Inmarsat's Offering s page: 46
- Spain: Finding Strength in Specialization page: 51