KMY To Consult on Icebreaker
Kvaerner Masa Marine (KMM) and Masa-Yards Arctic Technology Center (MARC), both part of the Kvaerner Masa-Yards Group, were recently awarded a contract to provide ice breaking consulting services and model testing for the USCG Great Lakes Icebreaker currently being designed by Marinette Marine Corporation (MMC) a division of Manitowoc Marine Group. The new icebreaker will be named Mackinaw in honor of the heavy icebreaker that it is replacing.
The new Mackinaw will be a multi-mission vessel.
measuring approximately 239 ft. (73 m) with a 60-ft.
(18.3 m) beam, and displacing 3.500 tons. The ship will break ice to keep the Great Lakes shipping lanes open in the winter and service aids to navigation in summer. The vessel will perform search and rescue, pollution control, security and law enforcement as well. The vessel employs azimuthing podded electric drives, which were pioneered by Kvaerner Masa-Yards in conjunction with ABB Industry Oy.
The icebreaking consulting services to be provided to MMC will include a hull form feasibility study, and ice performance, powering, stability, seakeeping and maneuvering performance evaluations. One of the hull forms to be studied will be the Double Acting Concept patented by Kvaerner Masa-Yards. MARC will also be carrying out an extensive ice model test program at its model ice tank in Helsinki and KMM will supervise the open water model tests to be carried out at SSPA in Sweden.
Circle 4 9 on Reader Service Card www.maritimereporterinfo.com
Other stories from March 2002 issue
- Smit Develops High-Powered Wreck Removal Cutting System page: 4
- KMY To Consult on Icebreaker page: 8
- Bollinger To Build Three Boats for Chouest page: 9
- IFS And DNV Join Forces On IT Project page: 12
- Volvo Penta Signs $ 2 . 8M Tug Engine Contract page: 14
- Underwater Bonding Seals the Deal page: 17
- Grand Bahama Shipyard's Drydock Arrives page: 19
- One Cool Customer page: 21
- ReeferShip Ltd. Formed page: 23
- A.R. Larsen To Offer Turnkey Interior Services page: 23
- The Era of The Electronic Engine Is Here page: 24
- Rolls-Royce Package Approach Wins Order page: 25
- Innovation in the Engine Space page: 27
- Landmark LNG Carrier Launched by IZAR page: 28
- BY backs S&T Ecomax Tanker Design page: 31
- Maritrans Continues Double Hull Program page: 32
- French Snag LNG Order page: 32
- LR: Hearing is Believing page: 32
- Antifouling Paint Helps USCG Sink Maintenance Costs page: 36
- NSRP Projects Show Impressive Results page: 38
- Derecktor Wins AMHS Fast Ferry Deal page: 41
- Gas Turbines Continue Making Commercial Inroads page: 44
- Fleet F77 Extends Inmarsat's Offering s page: 46
- Spain: Finding Strength in Specialization page: 51