Maritrans Continues Double Hull Program
Despite a recent legal setback in which Maritrans was denied its motion to classify the mandatory double-hulling of tankers as a "taking" of its single hull vessels, Maritrans continues to be one of the more progressive U.S. owners in ensuring that its fleet of vessels will be up to code to meet OPA 90 demands. It was December 1998 that Maritime Reporter & Engineering News initially recognized the superior Maritrans solutions, naming Maritrans 192 as a Great Ship of the year.
This was unique in that Maritrans 192 was not a new ship at all, rather an innovative double hulling of an existing single hull barge, an internal double hull rebuild which was patented in 1999. To date, Maritrans reports that Maritrans 192 and Maritrans 244 are rebuilt and operating flawlessly, while Maritrans 252 recently joined the fleet.
"We are already assembling the innerbottom plates for Maritrans 250. which was contracted last summer," said Greg Robinson.
"All of our rebuild work has been placed with Tampa Bay Shipyard."
Other stories from March 2002 issue
- Smit Develops High-Powered Wreck Removal Cutting System page: 4
- KMY To Consult on Icebreaker page: 8
- Bollinger To Build Three Boats for Chouest page: 9
- IFS And DNV Join Forces On IT Project page: 12
- Volvo Penta Signs $ 2 . 8M Tug Engine Contract page: 14
- Underwater Bonding Seals the Deal page: 17
- Grand Bahama Shipyard's Drydock Arrives page: 19
- One Cool Customer page: 21
- ReeferShip Ltd. Formed page: 23
- A.R. Larsen To Offer Turnkey Interior Services page: 23
- The Era of The Electronic Engine Is Here page: 24
- Rolls-Royce Package Approach Wins Order page: 25
- Innovation in the Engine Space page: 27
- Landmark LNG Carrier Launched by IZAR page: 28
- BY backs S&T Ecomax Tanker Design page: 31
- Maritrans Continues Double Hull Program page: 32
- French Snag LNG Order page: 32
- LR: Hearing is Believing page: 32
- Antifouling Paint Helps USCG Sink Maintenance Costs page: 36
- NSRP Projects Show Impressive Results page: 38
- Derecktor Wins AMHS Fast Ferry Deal page: 41
- Gas Turbines Continue Making Commercial Inroads page: 44
- Fleet F77 Extends Inmarsat's Offering s page: 46
- Spain: Finding Strength in Specialization page: 51