Towboat Honors Structural Engineer Dobson
Joe Gregory, owner of New Generation Shipbulding of Houma, La., reports that his firm’s latest delivery will join the La Porte Texas-based Martin Marine fleet of 29 inland push boats and 54 inland marine tank barges. Martin also operates four offshore tug/barge units. The latest delivery, one of New Generation’s 75 X 30 X 10-ft. pushboat, is the Rex Dobson. With an operating draft of 8.5-ft. these towboats have a 32-ft. eye level from the wheelhouse. The wheelhouse has huge windows extending to the deck level forward and a full walk around exterior deck extension. The elevation is gained by having the wheelhouse sit atop three lower decks. These contain five crew cabins providing accommodation for up to seven crewmembers. A well-appointed galley, with granite counter tops, and mess, with a large flat-screen TV, occupy the forward part of the main deck cabin with the aft part or fiddly providing storage over the main engines.
The main engines are a pair of Cummins QSK38-M each of which develop 1,000 hp at 1,800 rpm. The engines are fitted with Twin Disc MG5321 gears with 6.39:1 reduction turning open stainless-steel five-blade Kahlenberg 74- by 53-in. propellers on seven-inch shafts. Each propeller has two forward mounted flanking rudders with a single steering rudder behind. The props and rudders are protected by stump-jumpers fabricated from six-inch square half-inch tubing.
Main deck equipment includes two 40-ton electric winches mounted forward. Auxiliary power is provided by a pair of Cummins 6BTA5.9- liter powered 85 kW generators.
(As published in the October 2015 edition of Maritime Reporter & Engineering News - http://magazines.marinelink.com/Magazines/MaritimeReporter)
Other stories from October 2015 issue
- Making Sense and Taking Risks: Human Behavior in the Shipping Industry page: 14
- [email protected] page: 16
- The Cost-conscious Manager page: 20
- Black Market Refrigerants Pose Risk to Shippers page: 22
- Marine Firefighting at Sea: Training to Survive page: 28
- Unmanned Vessels: The Future is Now page: 34
- Foreship: New CFD Methodology page: 48
- SCANIA Expands its Engine Range for Marine Applications page: 50
- Towboat Honors Structural Engineer Dobson page: 54
- Ulstein’s X-BOW Turns 10 page: 55
- KVH Debuts mini-VSAT Broadband 2.0 page: 56
- BMT Fluid Mechanics to Validate FLNG Design page: 60
- Hard Problems Demand Soft(ware) Solutions page: 62