Schedule Announced For ASNE Day May 5-6
The 60th annual meeting of the American Society of Naval Engineers will be held at the Shoreham- Americana Hotel, Washington, D.C., on May 5-6, 1977. The theme of this year's national meeting is "Military Civil Maritime Partnership, Naval Engineering's Pathway to Future Progress." The following is the schedule for the presentation of the technical papers.
Thursday Morning — Session #1. Moderator: Rear Adm. John S. Kerr., USN. 9:30—"Naval Support Augmented by Merchant Ships," Stephen P. Weintraub; 10:15—"Toward a More Effective Navy — Merchant Marine Relationship," Lawrence A. Wheeler; and 11—"The Wartime Requirement for Merchant Shipping," Russel F. Stryker.
Thursday Afternoon — Session #2. Moderator: Rear Adm. Arthur B. Engel, USCG (ret.). 2:30 — "The National Defense Reserve Fleet—An Essential Element of National Defense," Robert A.
Bryan and Charles J. Sparks; 3:15—"The Influence of the Merchant Marine Act of 1936 on Defense Shipping Capability — The Last 25 Years," Ronald K. Kiss; and 4—"Merchant Ship Unloading in Contingency Logistics, Milton E. Essoglou.
Thursday Afternoon — Session #3. Moderator: Capt. Richards T. Miller, USN (ret.). 2:30 — "Integrated Bridge System," Lamar Cox, Lanny Puckett and Robert H. Gowen; 3:15 — "Wirefree Communications for Shipboard Damage Control," Dr. F. Edward Baker Jr. and C. Joseph Rubis; and 4 — "Use of Simulators in Ship Design and Operation," Dr.
W.M. Maclean, T.C. Hutchison and L. Carver.
Friday Morning — Session #4.
Moderator: Rear Adm. Sam H.
Moore, USN. 9:30 — "Merchant Ships for Wartime Mobilization Prototype Design and Construction for Readiness," Alexander C.
Landsburg; 10:15, "Merchant Ship Naval Augmentation Program," Lawrence Benen; and 11 — "The Reserve Merchant Ship Defense System (RMSDS)," Norman K. Basile and Norman P.
Mashin Friday Morning — Session #5.
Moderator: Rear Adm. William M. Benkert, USCG. 9:30 — "Development of an Oil-Water Pollution Monitoring System," Lt. (jg) B. Tyler, USN, Lt. W. Gongaware, USN, and Assoc. Prof. Thomas M. Houlihan; 10:15—"A Towed Planing Hull Sled for East Surface Delivery of Pollution Control Equipment," Russell S. Ward and Lt. Richard M. Larrabee, USCG; and 11 — "Glass Reinforced Plastic (GRP) Piping for Shipboard Applications," George F. Wilhelmi and Henry W. Schab.
Friday Afternoon — Session #6. Moderator: Capt. Lester H.
Beck, USN. 2:30—"Vertical Attitude Take-Off and Landing (VATOL) Remotely Piloted Demonstration Vehicle," Warren H.
Eilertson; 3:15—"Post-Tensioned Reinforced Concrete as Applied to Ship Design and Construction," Lt. James D. Ertner, USN; and 4 — "A Comparison of Several Hybrid Surface Ship Concepts, John R. Meyer.
Friday Afternoon — Session #7. Moderator: Capt. Myron Eckhart, USN (ret.). 2:30—"Microcomputers in Monitoring Applications," William J. Dejka; 3:15— "Remote Vessel Monitoring," Edward W. DeKnight; and 4—"Merchant Marine/Navy Communications," James C. McCoy Jr.
Over 50 industrial, Governmental and educational organizations will exhibit naval engineering technology during the meeting.
The displays will be open for viewing throughout the two days.
The Society has scheduled the traditional luncheon for May 5, and a cocktail party in the exhibits area later that afternoon. The Society's business meeting will be held at 1:30 on May 6. A reception and formal banquet will be held on the evening of May 6.
The banquet will include a performance by the Navy Band.
Additional details and registration forms are available from ASNE Headquarters, 1012 14th Street, N.W., Suite 807, Continental Building, Washington, D.C.
20005; phone (202) 737-0757.
Other stories from April 15, 1977 issue
- MRIS Publishes Cumulative Index For 1970-1976 page: 4
- Zapper, Inc. Applies For Title XI To Build $9-Million Barge Carrier page: 6
- New Development Team For Ocean Liners page: 6
- Fred S. Sherman Elected AIMS Board Chairman page: 7
- McAllister Expands Container Feeder Service With $2-Million 300-Foot Ocean Deck Barge page: 11
- Equitable Sends Two 95-Foot Tugs To Indonesia On Deck Of Lykes Ship Via Cape Of Good Hope page: 11
- North America-Mideast Trade To Get Largest Ro/Ro Ships In New Seaspeed Service This Month page: 14
- Offshore Technology Conference Technical Session Timetable page: 14
- Prudential, Stanwick Develop Shipboard Maintenance System page: 19
- Dravo SteelShip Delivers Towboat With Elevating Pilothouse To International Paper page: 22
- Dr. Anderson Describes Construction Of Offshore Concrete Facility To SNAME Los Angeles Section page: 22
- Hyundai Mipo Commissions Two Additional Graving Docks For Large Vessel Repairs page: 25
- Pacific Northwest Section Presents Two Papers And Tour Of Vessels page: 25
- Water Lubricated Rubber Bearings Subject Of SNAME San Diego Meeting page: 26
- Alaska Asks For Bids To Stretchout And Modify The M / V Matanuska page: 26
- Dravo Corp. Names Greene And Jelic page: 27
- Dynell Offers Latitude/Longitude Omega Receiver page: 28
- Mobile, Bottom Supported Drilling And Production Platform page: 33
- Bourg Dry Dock & Service Appoints Two Executives page: 34
- Toutant And LaGrange Named Vice Presidents At Jeffboat, Inc. page: 35
- Raytheon Company Introduces A Dual-Axis Doppler Speed Log page: 38
- Number Of Vessels Classed By ABS Increased In 1976 page: 40
- Pacific Towboat Names Four To Executive Posts page: 41
- Santa Fe Affiliate Receives $40-Million Saudi Arabian Contract page: 43
- Shipbuilders Council Elects New Board page: 43
- Astilleros Espanoles Names Wesley Wheeler Exclusive U.S.A. Rep page: 44
- Farrell Lines Inc. Names Captain Moore page: 44
- Philadelphia ASNE And SNAME Sections Hear Presentation On The Arapho Concept page: 45
- Henschel Corp. Offers Literature On New Digital Shaft RPM Indicators page: 46
- Dillingham Ship Repair Names Charles Carter And Cliff Pritchard page: 46
- Crowley Assigns Ducich To Caribbean Division page: 48
- Fort Schuyler Forum Celebrates 25th Anniversary —Discusses 'Marine Chemist' And 'Marine Safety' page: 48
- NOAA Awards Contract To French Company page: 50
- Schedule Announced For ASNE Day May 5-6 page: 50
- New Barge Company Formed To Serve Alaska page: 51
- Gulf Mississippi Marine Signs For Three Vessels From George Engine page: 52
- NSF Certifies Demco Aeration Type Packaged Sewage Treatment page: 52
- ABS Elects Eleven New Members —Five New Managers page: 54
- R.L. Fagan Rejoins Stanwick Corporation page: 54
- MarAd Releases Study On Great Lakes Shipping page: 55
- K.E. Sheehan Elected Vice President Of ABS page: 56
- Kawasaki/Philippines Form Company To Build Large Ship Repair Yard page: 57
- Ship Stern Study Released By MarAd page: 57
- Maryland Port Adm. Moves To Baltimore World Trade Center page: 58
- ICHCA Elects Farrell President U.S. Committee page: 58
- Petro-Marine Announces Major Reorganization page: 59
- ASNE Northern New England Section Elects Officers—Speaker Compares USSR And U.S. Warship Design Practice page: 60
- AWO Elects Stegbauer Chairman Of Board page: 61