Construction Of Cog Replica Supported By Deutz M WM

The Deutz MWM division of the KHD group is providing propulsion units for a Hanse cog which is being rebuilt in Bremerhaven.

The vessel, which was found in the sludge of the Weser River in 1962, dates back to the 14th century. It is being rebuilt by the Hanse-Koggewerft e.V., Bremerhaven, according to the designs of the German Maritime Museum. As the new cog is to follow the old routes of the Hanseatic League—which means it has to be seaworthy— safety requirements make engine propulsion necessary as much as modern navigation equipment.

The cog will be powered by an eight-cylinder engine of the Deutz MWM series 234, with an output of 280 kw (380 hp). The auxiliary marine set is driven by a four-cylinder engine of the Deutz MWM series 226.

Deutz MWM specialists will assist the Koggewerft in the installation and commissioning of the propulsion unit and auxiliary marine set.

For free literature giving full details on Deutz MWM engines, Circle 43 on Reader Service Card

Maritime Reporter Magazine, page 46,  May 1990 Allis- Chalmers

Read Construction Of Cog Replica Supported By Deutz M WM in Pdf, Flash or Html5 edition of May 1990 Maritime Reporter

Other stories from May 1990 issue

Content

Maritime Reporter

First published in 1881 Maritime Reporter is the world's largest audited circulation publication serving the global maritime industry.