Largest Spanish RoPax Enters Service
The largest Spanish flagged RoPax ferry, named Fortuny, has been delivered by IZAR's Puerto Real shipyard to the Spanish shipowner Trasmediterranea.
The contract for the construction of this ferry was landed by Puerto Real yard, formerly part of Astilleros Espanoles group, on July 30, 1999. The new ferry has become the fastest vessel to join the owner's fleet, with a 23.5 knot speed on the engines' 85 percent continuous service rating.
On trials, the vessel reached a top speed or more than 25 knots. Propulsion power is supplied by four 7.240 kW diesel engines rated at 500 rpm, coupled by pairs to two shaft lines and two CP propellers. Maneuvering equipment includes two 1.000 kW bow-tunnel thrusters.
With an overall length of 566 ft. (172 m), a breadth of 86 ft. (26.2 m) and a depth of 20 ft. (6.2 m), the ferry is also the largest in Trasmediterranea's fleet.
The vessel has a capacity to carry 1,000 passengers, part of them in 200 cabins.
Accommodation is also provided for 71 crew.
The ship incorporates spacious and comfortable public areas and includes restaurants, shops, nursery school, swimming pools (even an indoor winter pool), sauna, jacuzzis, solarium, gym, cinema, disco, and several bars and lounges.
Of the vessel's total 25,000 sq. m. built area, 10,000 sq. m. are exclusively occupied by passenger and crew spaces. The vessel has a freight capacity of 1,800 lane meters, equivalent to 80 trucks and 336 cars. The rolling cargo area comprises three decks.
The ship satisfies all the latest safety regulations. Large area fin stabilizers and an active anti-heeling system have been incorporated. This vessel completes the fleet renewal program of Spain's leading shipping company.
Circle 46 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from July 2001 issue
- MariTel Launches New Marine Telephone Service With Vessel Location page: 36B
- Repowering and Niche Marketing at Westar page: 36D
- Hybrid Powering for Boxships page: 8
- Largest Spanish RoPax Enters Service page: 12
- MarineSoup.com Creates Online Marketplace page: 13
- Bollinger Christens 8,000-hp Towboat, Bootsie B page: 14
- COMSAT Mobile Honored For Maritime Safety page: 15
- USN Awards $52M Contract To DD21 Gold Team page: 16
- Aegis Destroyer Christened At Ingalls Shipbuilding page: 19
- Marco Shipyard Concludes Pilot Station Vessel Contract page: 20
- Kockum Sonics AB launches Ballast Water Exchange Concept page: 21
- Carnival's 2Q Earnings Drop Eight Percent page: 22
- Mechanical Problems, Late Deliveries Continue to Plague Industry page: 23
- Local Yards Start To Feel The Impact page: 26
- Owners... Start Counting The Cash page: 29
- Back in Business — Iridium Returns Under New Ownership page: 33
- Xantic: New Look, New Name... More Service page: 36
- Podded Propulsion Goes Beyond the Cruise Realm page: 44
- Forging Ahead page: 51
- Deerberg Systems: Experts in Flow Management page: 55
- New Technology Debuts in Oslo page: 56
- Brunvoll Bucks The Trend, And Prospers page: 57