SNAME Announces 1983 Committee Chairmen
C.L. French, president of The Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers, recently announced the society's committee chairmen for 1983.
STANDING AND SPECIAL COMMITTEES Advisory Public Service Committee — Donald P. Courtsal, treasurer, Dravo Corporation, Pittsburgh, Pa., and vice president- Advisory Public Service of the society.
Applications Committee — Arnold M. Stein, assistant to the president, M. Rosenblatt & Son, N.Y.
Awards Committee — Rear Adm. Kenneth E. Wilson Jr., (USN-ret.), manager, fleet services, Exxon International Co., Tanker D e p a r t m e n t , Florham Park, N.J.
Banquet Committee — Lawrence B. Bennett, senior vice president and officer-in-charge, Abstech, N.Y.
Budget and Endowments Committee — William C. Freeman, consultant, Tiverton, R.I.
Dinner-Dance Committee — Robert J. Bazzini, regional manager, Transamerica Delaval, Inc., N.Y.
Education Committee — William E. Zimmie, president, Zimmite Corporation, Cleveland, Ohio.
Fellows Committee — Prof.
Richard B. Couch, Department of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich., and honorary vice president of the society.
Finance and Audit Committee — John A. Livingston, chairman emeritus, Webb Institute of Naval Architecture, Glen Cove, N.Y., and honorary vice president of the society.
Journal of Ship Research Committee — Ralph D. Cooper, program manager, Flow Research, Silver Spring, Md.
Marine Technology Committee —Capt. Perry W. Nelson, (USNret.), executive vice president, M. Rosenblatt & Son, N.Y., and vice president of the society.
Member Insurance Committee —Robert Axelrod, vice presidentfinance, J.J. Henry Co., Inc., N.Y.
and treasurer of the society.
Membership Committee — William H. Hunley, office manager, CDI Marine Company, Arlington, Va.
Bruce C. Skinner, USCG, Chief, Marine and Ocean Engineering Section, U.S. Coast Guard Academy, Department of Engineering, New London, Conn.
Papers Committee—Capt. Jack A. Obermeyer, (USN-ret.), manager, Marine Department, Texaco Inc., White Plains, N.Y., and honorary vice president of the society.
Pension Committee — Douglas C. MacMillan, consultant, East Orleans, Mass., and honorary vice president of the society.
Publications Committee — Roy L. Harrington, naval architect and technical manager, Newport News S h i p b u i l d i n g , Newport News, Va.
Robert E. Stark, (USN-ret.), vice president, Gibbs & Cox, Inc., N.Y.
Sections Committee — Donald E. Ridley, vice president, Bird- Johnson Co., Walpole, Mass.
Technical and Research Advance Planning Committee—William O. Gray, senior advisor, Petroleum Products Department, Exxon Corporation, N.Y.
Technical and Research Finance and Administration Committee— John T. Gilbride, chairman and chief executive officer, Todd Shipyards Corp., N.Y., and honorary vice president of the society.
Technical and Research Steering Committee—Ronald K. Kiss, assistant deputy commander, Naval Sea Systems Command for Surface Ship Acquisition, NAVSEA, Washington, D.C., and vice president-technical and research of the society.
TECHNICAL COMMITTEES Hull Structure Committee — Norman Hammer, assistant to the director, Maritime Administration, Washington, D.C.
Hydrodynamics Committee — Prof. Lawrence W. Ward, professor of engineering, Webb Institute of Naval Architecture, Glen Cove, N.Y.
Marine Systems Committee — Edward M. MacCutcheon, consulting engineer, Bethesda, Md.
Ship Design Committee — Dr.
Robert S. Johnson, manager-ship design, Ship Systems Command and Control Division, Westinghouse Corp., Baltimore, Md.
Ship Production Committee — Ellsworth L. Peterson, president, Peterson Builders, Inc., Sturgeon Bay, Wise.
Ship Technical Operations Committee — Thomas J. Sartor Jr., v i c e president-Marine Special Projects, Farrell Lines, Inc., N.Y.
Ships' Machinery Committee — Chester L. Long, chief engineer, N e w p o r t News Shipbuilding, Newport News, Va.
Other stories from April 1983 issue
- MarAd Issues Report On Large Diameter Reduced Weight Propellers page: 6
- $2.5-Million Simulator Contract Awarded Tano For Navy's LSD Program page: 6
- Steve Ralph Joins National Marine Service page: 6
- RAdm. Eustace Named President Of SESCO page: 8
- $4.5-Million Navy Contract Awarded To Sanders For Direction Finding Systems page: 8
- C.D. Linnenbank Inc. Mooring Consultants Formed In Pinehurst, N.C. page: 8
- W.J. Amoss Jr. Elected Chairman Of CASO page: 10
- Hydro Products Reorganizes Marketing Department page: 10
- Safety Watch System For Diesel Ships Detailed In National Control Brochure page: 12
- White House Names Hood To World Maritime University Board page: 12
- Westinghouse To Supply 8 Turbine Generators In $50-Million Carrier Order page: 12
- MarAd Feasibility Study On Oceangoing Dry-Bulk Self-Unloaders In U.S. Trade page: 13
- $2-Million Contract To Overhaul U.S.-Flag Tanker Awarded Maryland Shpblg page: 14
- Stanley Clark Named President Of Two Raytheon Company Operations page: 14
- ASTM Committee F-25 On Shipbuilding To Meet May 9-11 In Philadelphia page: 15
- Sause Bros. Building 2,500-Ton Drydock For Pacific Marine page: 15
- Bergeron Awarded Contract To Build 195-Foot Cement Barge For Kosmos page: 16
- 15th International Congress On Combustion Engines Set For Paris, June 13-17 page: 16
- Evak Awarded Sewage System Contract For TAKX Ships By Quincy Yard page: 18
- Development Of Polaris Sub Discussed At ASNE New England Meeting page: 18
- Chapdelaine Appointed Vice President And General Manager At Martech page: 20
- Hoskins To Head Gulf Regional Office For W.B. Arnold In Houston page: 20
- Archie Wilson Elected New Chairman Of AWO page: 21
- SNAME Los Angeles Section Hears Paper On Arctic Air Cushion Vehicles page: 23
- Rayco Awarded Contract By Scott Paper To Build Two River Towboats page: 24
- Maceiras Joins National Marine Service Shipyard page: 24
- John Murphy Joins Pepper Industries As Vice President Of Marketing page: 25
- Inland Waterways Conference And Trade Show To Be Held In Louisville Aug. 26-28 page: 25
- Sumitomo Delivers Super-Class Arctic Drilling Rig To ODECO page: 26
- Kavanagh Named Vice President At Dock Express page: 31
- ABS Publishes '83 Edition Of "Rules For Building And Classing Steel Vessels" page: 31
- Patti Shipbuilding Delivers Oceangoing Tug M/V Navasota To Brazosport Towing page: 33
- Thomas Marine Delivers Patrol And Rescue Vessel page: 34
- Stone Manganese Fuel Saving Propellers Discussed At N.Y. Reception page: 36
- CSSRA Holds Annual Technical Conference page: 38
- Speakers Set For 23rd NPCA M a r i n e And Offshore Coatings Conference page: 39
- R a d i o - H o l l a n d U.S.A. N a m ed Exclusive Distributor For Sailor A n d Philips Products page: 40
- Literature Describes N ew N a t i o n a l Control System To Reduce Fuel Consumption page: 40
- J&T Introduces Line Of Remanufactured Short Blocks For Diesels page: 44
- Hapag-Lloyd (America) Announces Change Of Chief Executive page: 44
- CRC Names O'Neill To Vice President Post page: 44
- Clausner And Michie Named VPs At Tracor Marine page: 46
- SNAME-Pacific Northwest Hears Two Student Papers page: 47
- Robert W. Greene Of Jeffboat Elected Chairman AWO Shipyard Conference page: 48
- OTC-'83 SUPPLEMENT and EXHIBITOR'S GUIDE page: 49
- Westinghouse To Produce Additional Gears For Aegis Cruisers page: 85
- Updated Report Cites Continuing Rise Of Soviet Military Power page: 85
- Honorary Degree Conferred On MacGregor President page: 86
- ASTM Forms Task Group On Standards For Ship Sensors And Instrumentation page: 86
- Rivertronics Introduces New Swingmeter Model —Literature Available page: 88
- Hall Named Sales Manager At LEEVAC Shipyards page: 88
- SNAME-N.Y. Section Hears Paper On Design And Use Of Marine Evaporators page: 89
- Halter Marine To Deliver Largest Tug/Supply Boats Ever Built In U.S. page: 90
- MarAd And USCG To Merge Ship Locator Systems page: 91
- St a I Awarded $10-Million Order For New Container Refrigeration System page: 92
- Butterworth Systems Names Lewis Engineering Manager page: 92
- Wesmar Offers Brochure On ROV Color Scan Sonar page: 92
- ASNE-Puget Sound Hears Report On Coast Guard Service In The 1980s page: 94
- New Cutting Tool Systems Offered By Broco— Literature Available page: 94
- MacGregor Comarain Cargo Access Equipment Ordered For Five T-AKX Ships page: 95
- Uniflite Elects McGown Vice President-Contracts page: 97
- Unipar Offers Free Brochure On Diesel Parts For Engine Repair And Overhaul page: 97
- MarAd Issues Report On Waterways Port Model page: 97
- New Safety Device For High-Pressure Wells —Brochure Available page: 98
- New Marine R&D Company Established In Canada page: 98
- SNAME Announces 1983 Committee Chairmen page: 100
- Lockheed Expands Houston Office To Provide More Offshore Services page: 101
- Racal Forms New Energy Resources Group page: 101
- New Loran Introduced B\ Trimble Navigation- Literature Available page: 104
- Moyer Named Director Of Marketing At Sonatech page: 104
- Uniflite Awarded Contract For 42-Foot Explosive Disposal Training Boat page: 104
- NL Rucker Named IJCC Fluid Power Distributor For North American Market page: 106
- Tony deSousa Joins Electro-Nav page: 106
- Stockdale To Specialize In Computer Applications For The Marine Industry page: 107
- Frank L. Beier Radio Offers Compass Repair Services —Literature Available page: 107
- Meyer Shipyard To Build Three Vessels For Indonesia page: 107
- SNAME New England Hears Two Student Papers page: 108
- Northwest Towboat Group Elects Officers page: 108
- First Sulzer RTA Engine Successfully Tested— Literature Available page: 108
- Oceaneering Acquires Search And Salvage Firm page: 109
- AWO's Wilson Warns User Tax On Waterways Will Damage National Economy page: 109
- Houston Systems Reports Executive Realignment page: 110
- Jofra Offers Literature On Range Of Johansen Temperature Calibrators page: 111
- Bethlehem Lays Keel For First Prepositioning Ship page: 112
- Magnavox Introduces New Low-Cost Speed Log —Brochure Available page: 113
- Keystone Introduces New Extended-Service Butterfly Valve—Literature Offered page: 114
- Finnin Elected Senior Vice President At Tano page: 114
- TeleSystems Appoints Nita Dover As Manager Of Maritime Marketing page: 115
- SNAME Workshop To Show How One Yard Increased Shop Productivity 50% page: 115
- Semisubmersible Drill Rig Actinia Delivered By Hitachi Zosen page: 119
- Second Student Unit Inducted By SNAME Southeast Section page: 119
- Plans Announced For Feeder Pipeline From Kuparuk Field Alaska page: 120
- Multiquip Introduces New 2-Inch ^Submersible Pump —Literature Available page: 120
- Fairbanks Morse Names R.L. Mattox Manager Of Midwestern Region page: 120
- Salzgitter* Kocks* Bulk Systems Receives Contract For Port Of Houston Ship Loader page: 125
- Navy Role In Space Shuttle And OTEC Recoveries Discussed At ASNE-Northern New England page: 130
- TUGS OF WAR page: 131
- SNAME Philadelphia Section Discusses Outfitting With Double Bulkheads page: 131